Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What is The Most Valuable Pitch?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fastball (Variations Included)

7 50.00%
  • Curveball

1 7.14%
  • Slider

1 7.14%
  • Changeup

5 35.71%
  • Knuckleball

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Is The Most Valuable Pitch?

I always like talking about this with friends. Not necessarily what's the best pitch but what's the most effective pitch? There's obviously no right answer but I think it'd be interesting to see everyone's view. I'll start.

Change Up

I'm of the belief that a good change up is the most effective pitch that a pitcher can possess. Nothing keeps a hitter off balance more than an effective change up. Case and point is Marco Estrada who has a 90 mph fastball that's straight as an arrow along with a curveball that isn't really good at all. He added a cutter over the last couple of years but prior to that his other 2 pitches were pretty trash. He gets hitters swinging behind on that fastball all the time just because of how deceptive he is with that change up.

I think in todays MLB people have become obsessed with velocity and having pitchers who can overpower hitters. Don't get me wrong velocity is a great tool to have but I've always seen pitching as more of a game of deception. I'll take the soft tosser who can change speeds and throw 3 different pitches all in the same arm slot over the guy with a 100mph fastball and a sharp 12-6 curve anyday.

Fastball... a good fastball plays everything else up
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Curveball. Baseball isnít about overpowering, itís outsmarting. Most guys canít hit a curveball as is and never know when to expect it.

Iíve been saying this since I was 7 and after watching McCullers in the postseason, I stand by it.

I agree with the change-up.

I think even average fastball pitchers can be effective if they have a good change up.

Curve would be second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Change up

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Curveball. Baseball isnít about overpowering, itís outsmarting. Most guys canít hit a curveball as is and never know when to expect it.

Iíve been saying this since I was 7 and after watching McCullers in the postseason, I stand by it.
    Iím with ya. I love a great curveball

Change up

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hard breaking slider ala Mariano.

Well the only guy who I've seen be great with just one pitch . We all know who it is, guy that played for Yankees. It has to be the cutter.

If we're saying you can have one great pitch and two other average offerings it's the fastball no question.

The first pitch strike

But, it's absolutely the fastball.

If you don't have fastball command, every thing else is completely useless. At the big league level, everybody can hit a breaking pitch. And the effectiveness of all of those pitches require a fastball that can be commanded and effective and thrown at the right times and locations.

fwiw

Rate of the most strike out pitches

1. Fastball by far
    2. Slider is a distant second place
    3. Curve is way behind slider
    4. Changeups are just behind curves
    5. Other stuff (like knuckle)

Of course, cutters get classified in with sliders, splitters in with change ups, etc.

I will say, the most dominating pitchers of any era seem to have a great changeup/fastball combo (Santana, Pedro, Lincecum, Prior, Kershaw, Clemens, etc).

I actually think a good splitter is the most valuable pitch in baseball. It induces a ton of GB and is a great strikeout pitch. You don't see a lot of pitchers nowadays with great splitters.

As for the more conventional pitches, its probably the fastball. Fastball command is still the most important thing to a pitcher's success. If he's able to pinpoint it, he doesn't even really need to throw that hard to get hitters out.

Honeywell's screwgie

FB easily. If you can locate it, it sets everything else up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    The first pitch strike

But, it's absolutely the fastball.

If you don't have fastball command, every thing else is completely useless. At the big league level, everybody can hit a breaking pitch. And the effectiveness of all of those pitches require a fastball that can be commanded and effective and thrown at the right times and locations.

fwiw

Rate of the most strike out pitches

1. Fastball by far
    2. Slider is a distant second place
    3. Curve is way behind slider
    4. Changeups are just behind curves
    5. Other stuff (like knuckle)

Of course, cutters get classified in with sliders, splitters in with change ups, etc.

I will say, the most dominating pitchers of any era seem to have a great changeup/fastball combo (Santana, Pedro, Lincecum, Prior, Kershaw, Clemens, etc).
    Is that divided by the number they are thrown? because that just reads like a list of the most common pitches thrown? Can you link? Just curious.

where does 2-seam go? With the screwball?

I would think empirically if you wanted to know that, you would total all the pitches thrown with 2 strikes and the % of that pitch that led to a K. You might even want to balance it with the % of those pitches that led to a hitter getting on base.
    Last edited by flips333; 02-01-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Not much of a debate in my opinion. Fast ball. There's a reason that nearly 60% of all pitches in MLB are fastballs. It is the most important pitch, and it sets up every other pitch.

Speaking of Mariano Rivera... his #1 pitch was a cutter (fastball), not a slider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast