Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    lol fair enough. We all have different opinions thats the beauty of being a fan, we all think we know exactly what this team needs to finally be contenders which is the only thing any of us want!

I don't care how it happens I just need it to happen before I die!
    Great post with the stats. But As good as they are, he's not good inside the 20s. As Wiley said, he would be a clear upgrade over McCown and Cousins is a very good QB. For 20 mil or less on a 3 year deal? Yes but the money he will command is way more than he is worth and then you are stuck with him and I don't believe him to be a great QB. Very good? Yes. Could you win with a great team around him? Maybe. For some reason, a gut response, I think he's a weird QB and I don't trust him.
    If the Jets take him, I will be ecstatic if I'm wrong about him.

And we are in the same boat. I was one, when they won their only title.

Jakes new Baseball Card

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Again, I am in no way trying to make it seem that Cousins isn't better than McCown. I know that he is and I would rather have him than McCown. I just don't think he is worth how much more he will be paid.

I don't care that that is what the market bares because of the infrequency of available franchise QBs. Also, part of why franchise guys don't make it to FA is because many teams develop their own and keep them. I would prefer to see the Jets do that.
    You and me both. But - we have never done it before in our franchise history, what gives you any confidence, besides just wishing, that we can do it now with our current staff and GM and owner?

I am just at the point where I will gladly take the sure thing. I am so jaded by our QB history I don't even need the best guy in the league, I would love it but I don't need it. I want competence, I want to worry about other parts of the team besides the QB for a change. A promised top 10ish QB in the NFL or your choice of a QB coming from a 1AA school who can't complete 57% of his passes or a guy coming from the spread which has never 1 time translated in the NFL to a top 10 QB? Thats all I am saying.

We all want the same thing, the Jets to solve our decades long QB drought! I will happily be wrong about anyone to get it.

You and me both. But - we have never done it before in our franchise history, what gives you any confidence, besides just wishing, that we can do it now with our current staff and GM and owner?

I am just at the point where I will gladly take the sure thing. I am so jaded by our QB history I don't even need the best guy in the league, I would love it but I don't need it. I want competence, I want to worry about other parts of the team besides the QB for a change. A promised top 10ish QB in the NFL or your choice of a QB coming from a 1AA school who can't complete 57% of his passes or a guy coming from the spread which has never 1 time translated in the NFL to a top 10 QB? Thats all I am saying.

We all want the same thing, the Jets to solve our decades long QB drought! I will happily be wrong about anyone to get it.
    This...100%. I don't care if it's Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Cousins, one of Kinky's 20 or so illegitimate kids, we just need a franchise guy for once. The closest we came was Pennington, but he was too injury prone and didn't have a strong enough arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Great post with the stats. But As good as they are, he's not good inside the 20s. As Wiley said, he would be a clear upgrade over McCown and Cousins is a very good QB. For 20 mil or less on a 3 year deal? Yes but the money he will command is way more than he is worth and then you are stuck with him and I don't believe him to be a great QB. Very good? Yes. Could you win with a great team around him? Maybe. For some reason, a gut response, I think he's a weird QB and I don't trust him.
    If the Jets take him, I will be ecstatic if I'm wrong about him.

And we are in the same boat. I was one, when they won their only title.
    Out of curiosity where does that come from though? There are 17 QB's in the NFL who will make more than 20M next year, and others who are young studs on rookie deals who will be way beyond soon. We have already seen his numbers, he is hitting his Prime, why 20M max and only 3 years? He has been extremely consistent all 3 years as a starter and is now hitting his prime years, there are no indicators he will slow down. Thats money you are talking is the NFL 5-10 years ago, and we have 100 Million to spend!

In the end it really doesnt matter if you don't like him you don't like him, it doesnt really matter why believe me I have guys I don't like to haha. Its all good as long as we get what we want!

Think about this for perspective though since you have been a fan a long time. He has been a starter for 3 seasons in the NFL, 3 SEASONS, and he would be in the top 4 in EVERY statistical category of QB's in Jets HISTORY. Give him 2-3 more and he will be at the top of every category. That is insane to me, much more about our ineptitude at the position but still pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    This...100%. I don't care if it's Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Cousins, one of Kinky's 20 or so illegitimate kids, we just need a franchise guy for once. The closest we came was Pennington, but he was too injury prone and didn't have a strong enough arm.
    Yep so close with Chad - boy has it been a **** show since then haha

These are very fair and valid arguments. I would be happy if the Jets signed Cousins for the same reasons. I just want the deal to be a reasonable one, or at least one they can get out of easily (like Mo) if it goes south.

I just don't see Cousins as a "blank check" level player. I also don't want the team to abandon the idea of drafting a QB to be developed even if they do sign Cousins. Things can go bad quickly in the NFL and I don't want them to put all their eggs in the Cousins basket, given that they currently have no QBs who will amount to anything in the NFL.

Also, while I agree about the Jets QB drafting history, their FA QB signing history is not particularly good either. They have ranged from flat out busts to one year wonders.

Out of curiosity where does that come from though? There are 17 QB's in the NFL who will make more than 20M next year, and others who are young studs on rookie deals who will be way beyond soon. We have already seen his numbers, he is hitting his Prime, why 20M max and only 3 years? He has been extremely consistent all 3 years as a starter and is now hitting his prime years, there are no indicators he will slow down. Thats money you are talking is the NFL 5-10 years ago, and we have 100 Million to spend!

In the end it really doesnt matter if you don't like him you don't like him, it doesnt really matter why believe me I have guys I don't like to haha. Its all good as long as we get what we want!

Think about this for perspective though since you have been a fan a long time. He has been a starter for 3 seasons in the NFL, 3 SEASONS, and he would be in the top 4 in EVERY statistical category of QB's in Jets HISTORY. Give him 2-3 more and he will be at the top of every category. That is insane to me, much more about our ineptitude at the position but still pretty crazy.
    I sincerely don't think he is worth more than 20 mil for the length of the deal he will want. It's my opinion and taste.
    I know what the stats say and by those, he could get 30. I don't want the jets to be that team. I think it is a mistake. Aaron rodgers gets 22, wilson 22, Ben 21, luck 24
    I know those deals were signed a couple years ago but in no way can I rationalize paying Cousins more than Aaron rodgers is being paid.

I also hope we aren't foolish enough to get into the Keenum sweepstakes if Cousins goes to Denver or the Browns or any other team

Jakes new Baseball Card

Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    A few of those kids are freakish animals. I wouldn't let them play QB. They would rather eat the football, just tell them they need to snap the person in the other jersey, in half and they can have their dinner.

Jakes new Baseball Card

So Iím confused some of you guys want Kirk Cousins,a 30 yr old who wants over 25k a year so youíll commit to that without a guaranteed Super Bowl. People be smart we have a young team continue to groom these guys spread that money out for all our needs draft our QB be patient. No need to rush and make a mistake that can potentially push us back even more years behind.

Yeah
    Anyone thinking Cousins is even possible for less than $28M is sorely mistaken. And I don't believe he is worth a quarter of our cap. I don't think we are close enough to competing to give a 2nd tier at best QB 1/4 of all the team money.

he said he wants to win so hes not coming here

He supposedly said the Vikings are number one on his wishlist.

Jakes new Baseball Card

Donít know why no one would want cousins, very solid QB.

i dont mind having him. but i wish he ends up with the broncos so there is one less team ahead of us that needs a QB. Draft a QB and sign a vet. QB too.

The Jets have 2 ways to attack this off season and they both center on the way they address the QB position. Either way they have to do the following. Resign Clairborne (7m), Asj (5m), Davis (8m). Resign Ealy, Pennel, Miles, Brooks total of (8m). They will still need a rush lineman of linebacker, a center, another DL to replace Wilkerson a RB and another CB.
    1) Sign Cousins about (25m). Add that to the 28m from above would be 53m spent. They could use 1st rd pick to add Chubb 2nd round for the center and RB or CB and the other for which they did not pick. I would sign another DL in free agency for example Richardson @ about (10m). The advantage with this option is that it will put a playoff caliber team on the field this year. The downside is that they will be committing a lot of money for a IMO middle of the road QB. They will definitely be overpaying for him and 25m might not be enough.
    2) Resign McCown and draft a QB . They would almost definitely have to move up from 6 to get the man they want especially if Cousins signs with the Vikes. It would be much better for the Jets if he would sign with the Browns or the Broncos removing a team drafting ahead of them that needs a QB. The advantages are that it leaves a lot more cap room to sign additional players. They would have to use that money to sign a rush lineman or backer, CB, RB and center in free agency since they will have to use their first and probably both 2nd round picks to draft the QB. With this approach they might not be ready till next year to contend for a playoff spot as the drafted QB will needs time to adjust to the NFL.
    I prefer option #1
    I would be in favor of redoing Skrines contract because I felt he played very well the 2nd half of the year. The Jets may not need to add another corner if Robinson or one of the two corners drafted last year is ready to step up.
    I would also be in favor of designating Wilkerson for a June 1st cut giving the Jets a additional 6m in cap space. They would not be able to use any of that cap space until June 1st but I think they can wait until then to sign their drafted players using that cap money to do so.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast