Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Rather obviously.

Entirely beside the point.
    It was rather obviously a very poor analogy. Figured I'd offer one of my own yesterday, thought about it, and realized it too was poor, so i deleted the comment. Good analogies are tough to come by on this conversation.

Boils down to this: Do oppressed people have any right to feel offended? There will always be those who say no, and those who will say yes.

No one's changing anyone's mind. And an analogy certainly isn't going to help matters.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 02-01-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    It was rather obviously a very poor analogy. Figured I'd offer one of my own yesterday, thought about it, and realized it too was poor, so i deleted the comment. Good analogies are tough to come by on this conversation.

Boils down to this: Do oppressed people have any right to feel offended? There will always be those who say no, and those who will say yes.
    Ok well - anyone who says no is, by law, wrong. This country affords you the inalienable right to feel whatever the **** you want. I said this earlier - be offended as all get out. Go stand in the street and scream at the sky to fill people in on how offended you feel (don't block traffic, don't break any laws). You're free to do so.

Just don't expect - certainly don't demand - me, or anyone else, to give a **** about the feelings of the loony tune screaming in the street. I don't care about his feelings. I can't be made to.

This country affords you the inalienable right to feel whatever the **** you want.
    I admit I'm nit-picking here (but, then again, aside from some of the historical arguments, this thread is a bit rather nit-picky to begin with), my right to feel whatever I want is by no means an inalienable right afforded by this country or any country; no government can take that right from me -- the capacity perhaps, but never the right. What this government affords me is the right to say whatever I want, though you'll have to face the consequences if you say the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong place.

Just don't expect - certainly don't demand - me, or anyone else, to give a **** about the feelings of the loony tune screaming in the street. I don't care about his feelings. I can't be made to.
    Wow. Maybe you should try meditating.

Ok well - anyone who says no is, by law, wrong. This country affords you the inalienable right to feel whatever the **** you want. I said this earlier - be offended as all get out. Go stand in the street and scream at the sky to fill people in on how offended you feel (don't block traffic, don't break any laws). You're free to do so.

Yeah, I'm with you on obstructing traffic. That should NEVER be allowed.

Back to the logo, I get it, it's a tough line to draw. But i was ok with this one. The merchandise is still available and the team didn't change it's name. It's a logo for crying out loud, one that was probably ill advised to begin with.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Wow. Maybe you should try meditating.
    I'm more a yoga guy. Better for sports.

Any cartoon that isn't lifelike and perfectly to scale offends the **** out of me.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

The team made a decision and that's it. This too shall pass.

Demanding someone to change the name of something because you think its offensive seems like a waste of energy. If you don't like it fine, don't go. Don't support it with your money. But it seems misplaced to me to force someone to do something because of "offense". Just sets a bad standard. Offending is so subjective as well. If, hypothetically, 10% of people found something offensive, does that make that thing offensive as a matter of fact? Seems foggy at best.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.

Back to the logo, I get it, it's a tough line to draw. But i was ok with this one. The merchandise is still available and the team didn't change it's name. It's a logo for crying out loud, one that was probably ill advised to begin with.
    Like the Selma to Montgomery March?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Like the Selma to Montgomery March?
    Very fair point.

Very fair point.
    It's actually not a fair or particularly valid point, relative to the prior contention.

The Selma march was a very structured, organized, and federally sanctioned event. The deputy Attorney General presided over it, and LBJ ordered the National Guard to march alongside the protesters to ensure their safety. The route was mapped out, blocked off, and secured well in advance. It was the exact opposite of a bunch of people haphazardly gathering in the street and preventing regular citizens/commuters from getting home to their families for hours on end (see: Chicago, Lake Shore Drive, 2014).

Swing and a miss.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    It's actually not a fair or particularly valid point, relative to the prior contention.

The Selma march was a very structured, organized, and federally sanctioned event. The deputy Attorney General presided over it, and LBJ ordered the National Guard to march alongside the protesters to ensure their safety. The route was mapped out, blocked off, and secured well in advance. It was the exact opposite of a bunch of people haphazardly gathering in the street and preventing regular citizens/commuters from getting home to their families for hours on end (see: Chicago, Lake Shore Drive, 2014).

Swing and a miss.
    You need to go back and read a history book. You are forgetting about the first two marches. LBJ didn't do **** till they were attacked by racists. Who used the blocking traffic BS excuse.

These were not the only protests that most people in hindsight would say legitimately halted traffic. What it comes down to is I'm sorry if a protester inconveniences you. But really not that important.
    Last edited by flips333; 02-02-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    What it comes down to is I'm sorry if a protester inconveniences you. But really not that important.
    Wut.

Exactly. A moment of silence for the many people so effected by this horrible caricature. May their hurt feelings fully heal and they return to living their lives free of being tormented by this cartoon drawing.

Over/under on how many months until people become triggered over Aunt Jemima?

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast