Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The farm had its run, we are at a point where I wish we could removed DD and hire BC. Tell Cherington sit FA out focus on extensions and the farm
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Jalen Beeks is putting together a really nice season. He has a 2.74 era and a 13.3 K/9 over 9 starts in AAA. Not sure if or when he’ll get his shot with us having 5 healthy starters plus Wright/Velazquez/Johnson.

An under the radar guy I like is Kyle Hart. He’s currently in AA, in his third professional season. He stands at 6’5” so he has a tall frame. He’s already 25 years old but has put up good stats each year. Sitting at a 3.22 era over 8 starts. Not a star, but I could see him as a back end starter. He doesn’t throw hard but can get guys out.

Hart has some of the strangest splits that I've ever seen. 1.20ERA and 0.56GO/AO at home vs 7.36ERA and 1.31 GO/AO on the road. Reverse splits vs LHB and RHB from what you'd expect, too. At 6'5" and 170lbs, I'd assume that he makes Buchholz look pretty buff.

Ockimey continues to keep my interest.... very much a wait and see prospect as he goes

I never really caught the bug for Ockimey. He didn't really blow me away in G'ville. The fact that he's continued to draw a lot of walks in AA while hitting for both average and power is definitely intriguing though.

A few years ago, right-hander Michael Kopech was one of the top prospects in the entire Red Sox organization. His fastball was consistently close to 100 MPH and he was striking out hitters at a historic pace, but then in December of 2016 he was included in the trade with the White Sox for Chris Sale.

Last year, Kopech spent most of his time in Double-A before finishing the year in Triple-A. In 25 starts between the two teams, he went 9-8 with a 2.88 ERA, while striking out 172 batters in 134 1/3 innings and walked 65.

This year, and especially of late, it's been a tough go for the 22-year-old.

In his last start, Kopech went just three innings, allowed five runs on just two hits because he walked eight and hit two batters. Of his 86 pitches, he threw only 35 strikes. In his last 10 starts, he's thrown 47 1/3 innings and has an ERA of 6.08, while walking 37 and striking out 61.

For the year he's 2-5 with a 5.20 ERA in 13 starts. In 62 1/3 innings he's struck out 82 hitters, but has walked 42.

Kopech's biggest issue with the Red Sox was the number of walks he was allowing, but at the time of the trade to the White Sox it seemed like he was getting better. Clearly after two years in the White Sox organization it hasn't. It's even worse this year, as only half way through the season he's walked 42 hitters after walking 65 all of last year.

The other big piece in the trade -- Yoan Moncada -- is slashing .230/.304/.409 in 64 games in the big leagues this year.

While it is much too soon to judge the overall trade, things are looking pretty good for Dave Dombrowski and Co.
    weei.com

Not tons to be excited about in the farm system these days. Yesterday was one of the rarer days when a few of the bright spots shone at the same time.

-- Portland starter Mike Shawaryn was knocked around for three runs in the third inning. He would take the loss, bringing his record to 4-7 with a 3.65 ERA. Even with the loss, Shawaryn tied his season-high with eight strikeouts.

-- The Sea Dogs mustered only five hits, two of which came off the bat of catcher Austin Rei and another two from the first baseman Josh Ockimey.

-- Third baseman Michael Chavis went 0-for-4 in the contest; he’s now 0-for-8 with five strikeouts in his two games with Portland.

-- Salem starter Darwinzon Hernandez took a no-hitter into the sixth inning, while walking five and striking out a career-high 10 batters.

-- Shortstop C.J. Chatham led the Red Sox with three hits while also recording an RBI. Chatham’s batting average was raised to .316.
    weei.com

More bad health news for Red Sox top prospects: 3B Danny Diaz, who had 6 HRs in the DSL through July 2, had surgery to repair a broken hamate today. SS Antoni Flores, who hasn’t played since mid-June, is expected back in a few weeks.
    Source: Alex Speier

Dalbec is finally looking good.

One of the top pitchers in the Red Sox farm system is 19-year-old Bryan Mata with High-A Salem.

Mata was named to Team World for the Future’s Game in Washington, D.C. this past week and threw one inning. As always, being named to the game is the highest honor for a minor leaguer to receive.

Looking at his numbers — a 6-2 record with a 3.42 ERA — things look pretty good, but the thing that stands out is his 57 walks in 71 innings pitched. Over the past two seasons, he’s had a total of 45 walks, so clearly something is off, but there may be good reason for that.

The right-hander is adjusting to his new body.

“You’re talking about a guy growing into his body,” Red Sox minor league pitching coordinator Ralph Treuel said. “His velocity, he’s touching 96-97 [miles per hour], which we never saw that last year. That has spiked. He’s a bigger kid, physically. He’s every bit of 6-foot-5 and close to 230 pounds right now. He was not that last year. It’s a transition and I have seen this happen with a lot of young high school, young Latin pitchers … He’s been 19 years old all year in a really good league. The league, they aren’t hitting him. They are hitting .226 off him.”

Mata is a completely different pitcher than he’s been in his first few years in the organization, so he’s still adjusting and figuring things out with the bonus being more velocity. Being 19 years old, there’s nothing wrong with that, especially when most of his pitching peers in the Carolina League are 21 and 22 years old.
    weei.com

The Red Sox' first-round pick in the 2017 draft, Tanner Houck, has seemingly finally found his way. The Single-A (Salem) starting pitcher hasn't allowed a run over his last two outings, totaling 15 strikeouts and just one walk in 12 innings. It's a far cry from where he started his first full year in pro ball.

After a 4.60 ERA in April, Houck's ERA for May stood at an uncomfortable 6.43. It was a time where the righty was still trying to adjust to becoming more of a fastball pitcher, instead of primarily relying on his sinker.

Now, he has seemingly found a happy medium.

When asked about Houck's alterations, Red Sox assistant pitching coach Brian Bannister was quick with an explanation: "New changeup grip. Pitching primarily with the two-seamer from college but then elevating the four-seamer. Pitching with both, like Porcello, New curveball grip. New finish to his delivery so he’s not finishing off on the first base side anymore, he’s finishing on the third base side so he’s staying a little more square. Keeping his chest square, his face square. He made a lot of good adjustments.

"He’s added (the four-seam fastball) as a new pitch. It was basically trying to find how large a percentage of his mix should it be, and how he should use it. We needed to see the hitters’ reaction, get the data on it. That’s kind of the modern way of developing players. You try things and see if it works and now you have tools to respond quicker and make adjustments."
    weei.com

The Red Sox 2018 7th round pick Jarren Duran is off to a nice start.

Our system is really lacking break out players this year, in my opinion. We need to start developing more talent. I feel as if our drafting hasn’t exactly been great under Dombrowski. It’s still so early but the 2016 draft doesn’t look promising. The 2017 draft isn’t exactly shiny to this point either. Most of the top picks from both of those drafts are failing, in relation to their draft position. Dalbec and Shawaryn seem to be the bright spots.

I've been pleased with Dalbec's turn for the better after a slow start this year. I was concerned that his torrid start was going to be a flash-in-the-pan. Shawaryn looks good as well; like Beeks and a few others, Bannister's analytics are starting to pay off for the kid. He's been open to lots of pitch mix tinkering, etc.

That's the one caveat that I'd place over most of the SP prospects. Recent articles have made it very clear that the Sox have become extraordinarily proactive with their pitchers at the lower levels, refining/introducing pitches and adjusting the mix. Unfortunately, the brightest lights have been dealt so there's a gap at the top of the farm system.

In general, you're dead-on, though. The draft and international markets have not been very good under Dombrowski. Unfortunately, that's also part of the "Dealer Dave" legacy. He can make deals that sustain a successful run -- say 3-5 years -- but he's not going to build the "$100M player development machine" that Theo always talked about. His MO trends towards "replenish from without" and that's just not sustainable.

It's probably okay in the current context. The Yankees team is full of young talent that looks poised for another run like 1996-2000. The Red Sox needed to strike quickly at the opening of that window and they did.

Ehh lucky for us

Devers, E-Rod, Bogaerts, Betts, Benintendi are 25 and under.

We have a lot of time and MLB talent. I'd say we are more likely to have a run like the 96-2001 Yankees than anyone else.. starting this year.

We have a lot of intriguing talent at the lowe levels, where I think we see some guys start to show themselves next year as talents.

Teh next two drafts and years of IFA signings are going to be the real important ones

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Ehh lucky for us

Devers, E-Rod, Bogaerts, Betts, Benintendi are 25 and under.

We have a lot of time and MLB talent. I'd say we are more likely to have a run like the 96-2001 Yankees than anyone else.. starting this year.

We have a lot of intriguing talent at the lowe levels, where I think we see some guys start to show themselves next year as talents.

Teh next two drafts and years of IFA signings are going to be the real important ones
    The Red Sox rotation loses Sale, Pomeranz, and Porcello over the next two season and may have already lost Wright. We keep Price and Rodriguez. That's where the Red Sox will stumble. They do not expire contracts quickly enough to address their need for future, high-end pitching.

I'm not quite sold on Devers unless he moves to 1B; his glove hurts. Bogaerts (1yr), Betts (2), and Bradley (2) do not have any guaranteed contracts to sustain the kind of run that you're suggesting.

Sanchez, Bird, Torres, and Adujar are all 25 or under and have a minimum of 4yrs of control. Judge is only 26 while Hicks and Stanton are 28. They're easily as young as the Red Sox and have more long-term control. Pitching is their obvious achilles heel but they have both prospects and resources to address that heavily over the next couple of seasons.

If you believe that we're better, then I hope you're right. I don't see it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast