Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Official 2018 Red Sox Prospects

The new year starts with a comparatively weak farm system due in part to trades from the system and in part to promotions through the system.

1. Michael Chavis
    2. Jay Groome
    3. Sam Travis
    4. Bryan Mata
    5. Tanner Houck
    6. Josh Ockimey
    7. Mike Shawaryn
    8. Cole Brannen
    9. Jalen Beeks
    10. Alex Scherf
    11. Austin Maddox
    12. Brian Johnson
    13. CJ Chatham
    14. Darwinzol Hernandez
    15. Bobby Dalbec
    16. Rionel Raudes
    17. Travis Lakins
    18. Hector Velazquez
    19. Ben Taylor
    20. Chandler Shepherd

This was a reminder that the Red Sox have some catching up to do.

The annual Baseball America Top 100 Prospects list has been released, and it doesn't have a whole lot of familiar names on it. The only two members of the Red Sox organization to crack the list are pitcher Jason Groome (No. 83) and infielder Michael Chavis (No. 85). For a complete look at the list, click here.

Of the players Dave Dombrowski has traded away, only pitcher Michael Kopech was deemed eligible to be included, coming in at No. 11 as a member of the White Sox organization.

Groome, the Red Sox' first-round pick in the 2016 draft, has a rough first full professional year, finishing an injury-plagued campaign with a 3-9 mark and 5.39 ERA between Single-A Lowell and Greenville. He did, however, boast 11.7 strikeouts per nine innings. The 6-foot-6 righty has spent the majority of the offseason working out at JetBlue Park with Red Sox pitchers Chris Sale, David Price and Rick Porcello.

Chavis earned his first invitation to major league camp this coming spring training thanks to a breakout season in 2017. The corner infielder hit a combined 31 home runs between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland, managing a .910 OPS. He will split time between first and third base at the outset of camp this season.
    weei.com

Okay, so Groome is a LHP but otherwise the article is telling.

Really no point in Having Johnson on a prospect list... but mostly agree.

Important year for the Sox in terms of how any people break out (or don't) and how we draft.

In regards to the top 100 list, it is always best to give the whole scope of things. Yes we only have two top 100 guys, but that was the expense of getting Pomeranz, Sale, Kimbrell, etc.

I liked it then and still like it now, the Espinoza trade was a steal. You never trade an 18 year old in low A straight up for a 2/3 SP in his 20s under control.

Sale is Sale, though the top 100 thing is also skewed in terms of who we gave away and has graduated from prospect status
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

I mentioned that the farm was weak due to trades and promotions in the OP. With respect to the BA top 100, I wasn't trying to hide that -- it's simply where they are today.

DD came in and very clearly went into "win now" mode. I'd hoped that it was something that he'd left with his aging owner in DET. If the Sox make it to a WS over the next two seasons then the trades were worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Really no point in Having Johnson on a prospect list... but mostly agree.

Important year for the Sox in terms of how any people break out (or don't) and how we draft.

In regards to the top 100 list, it is always best to give the whole scope of things. Yes we only have two top 100 guys, but that was the expense of getting Pomeranz, Sale, Kimbrell, etc.

I liked it then and still like it now, the Espinoza trade was a steal. You never trade an 18 year old in low A straight up for a 2/3 SP in his 20s under control.

Sale is Sale, though the top 100 thing is also skewed in terms of who we gave away and has graduated from prospect status
    I disagree with the Espinoza trade for Pomeranz and the Kimbrel trade to be honest. While the deals have worked out, Dombrowski vastly overpaid for each. Espinoza was highly regarded as a top 15-20 prospect in all of baseball. Regardless of what he turns out to be, his stock was so much more valuable than a career 4 starter/bullpen piece. Pomeranz should have been had for way less, and then Espinoza could have gone in the Sale trade, leaving Kopech with the Sox. Kimbrel was the same, by giving up Margot and others. Shouldn't have needed to give that much up.

[CENTER]Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

Quote Originally Posted by celticsman2009 View Post
    I disagree with the Espinoza trade for Pomeranz and the Kimbrel trade to be honest. While the deals have worked out, Dombrowski vastly overpaid for each. Espinoza was highly regarded as a top 15-20 prospect in all of baseball. Regardless of what he turns out to be, his stock was so much more valuable than a career 4 starter/bullpen piece. Pomeranz should have been had for way less, and then Espinoza could have gone in the Sale trade, leaving Kopech with the Sox. Kimbrel was the same, by giving up Margot and others. Shouldn't have needed to give that much up.
    Find me other trades where one Low A prospect even a top 100 was traded for a guy, who was pitching like a 2 that season?

His value wasn't a 4, is was at worst a good bullpen piece, and at the time an all star SP. Who was 27? and controlled for an additional 2 seasons. Good trade then, better now.

We also have to realize how lucky we are. Betts, Bogaerts, Bradley, E-Rod, Benintendi, and now Devers..... that is very rare that so many very productive guys come into the league in a short time from the same farm. We had a period of a pretty high hit rate on our top procpects

It's really not worth getting into the Pomeranz trade. The arguments are well worn and nothing comes of repeating them. My personal view has changed over time based on Pomeranz' performance but I'll say that for the first year of the trade he was not remotely close to a #2 and it looked every bit the overpay. He also did not help the Sox to the playoffs in 2015, slowing significantly due to fatigue which was one of my concerns. We paid for a guy that was having a great season that was not in line with his past performance and it took a leap of faith to assume that it was his new normal. He has delivered for the last 1.5yrs and has been a great asset; combine that with TJ for Espinoza and it moves the needle in favor of the Red Sox at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    We also have to realize how lucky we are. Betts, Bogaerts, Bradley, E-Rod, Benintendi, and now Devers..... that is very rare that so many very productive guys come into the league in a short time from the same farm. We had a period of a pretty high hit rate on our top procpects
    I'm not sure that I'd really consider E-Rod as "coming from the same farm" since he barely unpacked a bag at POR before debuting with the Red Sox. And as a counterpoint consider

HOU: Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Springer, Keuchel, McCuellers
    NYY: Sanchez, Judge, Severino, Green, Betances, Montgomery
    CLE: Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, Clevinger, Kipnis, Lindor, Jose Ramirez, Brantley

It seems that competitive teams in today's game are developing from within at a fairly high frequency. I won't argue that all of these guys are on the same level as the Red Sox' core but they do represent the hopes of their respective franchises.

Groome will begin the 2018 season on the minor-league disabled list with a left arm strain, Alex Speier of The Boston Globe reports.

Groome finished the 2017 season with a similar flexor strain, but he has apparently avoided a serious injury. The 19-year-old is expected to return to Low-A Greenville in a few weeks after starting the season with an injury for the second consecutive year.
    CBSSports.com

Michael Chavis has received an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Dehydrochlormethyltestosterone. Best Red Sox prospect.
    Chavis, 22, was taken 26th overall in the 2014 MLB draft. He was seemingly on the cusp of challenging for a major league job after enjoying a breakout season in 2017. Chavis hit .282 between High A and Double A, while launching combined 31 home runs and driving in 94 runs.

Chavis’ primary position is third base. Rafael Devers figures to hold down that position in Boston for the foreseeable future. To work around that, the Red Sox were planning to give Chavis time at first base early in the season. The suspension will push back that development and possibly take him off the major league radar entirely this season.
    Source: Evan Drellich

Ehh that sucks.... either way still want to see him be productive at the AAA level. I believe in his power, but not sure about everything else.... may just be another Brentz.

I am more interested to see if Travis has developed some power

Neither Travis nor Chavis is the best defender in the world. Whichever finds an MLB-average glove to go with his power potential works for me.

Down on the farm, Thornburg looking like the guy we traded for (albeit overpaid).

Pawtucket left-hander Jalen Beeks threw five innings of one-run ball with six strikeouts and now has 52 strikeouts in 311⁄3 innings this season.

According to the PawSox, Beeks’ 14.94 strikeout-per-nine-innings ratio leads all qualifying minor leaguers.
    Boston Herald

Though trapped in Triple A, Rusney Castillo continues to play hard while showing big league-caliber tools. He’s 8 for 20 during a five-game hitting streak, boosting his line for the year to .313/.325/.387, and he’s delivered strong defense in both center and right field.

Outfielder Jeremy Barfield, who opened the year in Pawtucket after a spectacular 2017 campaign spent mostly with Portland, hit just .132/.243/.231 while striking out in 32 percent of plate appearances for the PawSox. He asked for and was granted his release after he lost his roster spot in Pawtucket.

Lefthander Trey Ball, amidst a move to Portland’s bullpen, has been hit hard of late. After opening the year with 6⅔ scoreless innings, he’s allowed 18 runs (16 earned) in his last 12⅓ innings, yielding runs in each of his last six appearances. He’s allowed five homers in that stretch.
    Boston Globe

Our farm is pretty barren right now... I don't think players such as Bradley, E-Rod, and Swihart can bring back any impact prospects. I think we could be in trouble when it comes deadline time. I do think this team is good enough to win it all, it just bothers me not being able to really make a move for an impact player at the deadline should the need arise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast