Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You missed my edit.

I can point to many things:
    1) Kyle Hendricks seems to have organically fixed his season. So there's clearly proof on our own roster it's capable of occurring (as well I can find plenty of players who had, say a bad stretch for a while in a season only to then turn it around. Hell, Jose Quintana had a mediocre half of baseball before coming to the Cubs last year himself)
    2) Jose Quintana's last four starts have seen him give up 2 ER or less in each start while posting better K:BB ratios. He's definitely trending upwards right now
    3) I can point to hundreds of baseball player who had a randomly bad year here or there. Ones that don't really seem to have a definitive reason as to "why" it was bad. And then coming back the next year and they're fine.

So yes, while some of that is conjecture, Quintana's last four starts is *not* conjecture. Him pitching significantly better after the trade last year, organically, is not conjecture. It should also be pointed out, it'll be very hard to prove a bad year fixing itself organically until we get into next year. Sadly, we do not have time-travel technology. It was another possible suggestion to go with what is wrong with his 2018 year.

What I cannot do is find anything *other* than conjecture to support the idea of "expectations" being the downfall of Quintana, and can find ample proof otherwise to suggest that it wasn't "expectations" considering he pitched *better* immediately after the trade and then through the playoffs last year. The "expectations" did not change between October of 2017 to April 2018.

So even if you want to hang your hat on the "conjecture" thing (which, whatever, I think my overall point was clear), there's no evidence to disprove a bad year yet, like there is to disprove the "expectations" theory.
    To be clear I think Quintana's disappointing '18 (and underwhelming '17 as a Cub, as far as I'm concerned, given the price point) has absolutely nothing to do with expectations.

I don't at all subscribe to dude's theory, not in the least. That said, I plain and simply don't see any difference between him tossing "expectations" out there versus you kicking out "well maybe he's just bad and won't be bad next year." Like yeah, hundreds if not thousands of guys have had bad seasons and rebounded - and just as many haven't. And then you're pointing to a recent 4 game stretch to support the notion which, to me, is akin to pointing out that German Marquez has been one of the best pitchers in baseball over the last 3 weeks and using that to support an assertion that a guy with a career ERA of 4.28 might be in line for a big 2019 - to say it's anecdotal would be giving too much credit to anecdotes; it's four games - it isn't anything.

Call it semantics if you want. From where I'm standing all I see is you jumping down a guy's throat for conjecture and then in the same breath bandying about a rather conjecture-y notion of your own, propped up by things that are largely neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    To be clear I think Quintana's disappointing '18 (and underwhelming '17 as a Cub, as far as I'm concerned, given the price point) has absolutely nothing to do with expectations.

I don't at all subscribe to dude's theory, not in the least. That said, I plain and simply don't see any difference between him tossing "expectations" out there versus you kicking out "well maybe he's just bad and won't be bad next year." Like yeah, hundreds if not thousands of guys have had bad seasons and rebounded - and just as many haven't. And then you're pointing to a recent 4 game stretch to support the notion which, to me, is akin to pointing out that German Marquez has been one of the best pitchers in baseball over the last 3 weeks and using that to support an assertion that a guy with a career ERA of 4.28 might be in line for a big 2019 - to say it's anecdotal would be giving too much credit to anecdotes; it's four games - it isn't anything.

Call it semantics if you want. From where I'm standing all I see is you jumping down a guy's throat for conjecture and then in the same breath bandying about a rather conjecture-y notion of your own, propped up by things that are largely neither here nor there.
    Feel free to see it however you want, then. I've explained myself, and I do have some evidence on my side (recent starts, 2017 Quintana. Anecdotal or not, it's not simple conjecture, it *is* something that isn't just an opinion. Maybe it'll prove to be nothing telling, but it absolutely isn't conjecture, which was your issue with my post). Outside of that, I can't force your opinion (and you've made it quite clear, you simply don't like me, so I'm not really surprised to see that your opinion is going to be what it is), and you're perfectly fine having one that disagrees with mine.

So it'll just be what it is, and it'll be time to move on to a different topic of discussion.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 09-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Feel free to see it however you want, then. I've explained myself, and I do have some evidence on my side (recent starts, 2017 Quintana. Anecdotal or not, it's not simple conjecture, it *is* something that isn't just an opinion. Maybe it'll prove to be nothing telling, but it absolutely isn't conjecture, which was your issue with my post.). I can't force your opinion (and you've made it quite clear, you simply don't like me, so I'm not really surprised to see that your opinion is going to be what it is).

So it'll just be what it is, and it'll be time to move on to a different topic of discussion.
    Well it's worth clarifying I don't dislike *YOU* I think you're extremely knowledgeable on the team, the game in general, and I think overall you bring a great deal to the forum.

I just think you nitpick a whole bunch and have a bit of a tendency to call others out for very similar nitpicky stuff.

We can indeed move along.

blahh nevermind, none of my business.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 09-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

Im looking forward to seeing how Hoerner does in the AFL starting tonight. If I had to name 1 cubs prospect currently in the system that becomes a regular starter within 2 years, I think hes the only one Id guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Im looking forward to seeing how Hoerner does in the AFL starting tonight. If I had to name 1 cubs prospect currently in the system that becomes a regular starter within 2 years, I think hes the only one Id guess.
    Looks like there may be some rust coming off the injury. 6 Ks, no walks, and no extra base hits in 18 PAs so far. That said, I'm excited to see a full season from Hoerner. I don't think the upside here is crazy or anything, but it'd be nice to have another solid starting caliber bat coming up quick through the system.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324