Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    I was just going to bring up Mekkes...I dont know how good his stuff is because he has really flown under the radar but his production has been stupid good, so he is obviously doing something right.

In 105 innings in the Cubs organization Mekkes has only given up 12 earned runs, has a 0.94 WHIP and has only given up 2 hr's....He has dominated at every single level he has been at and has yet to allow a run in AA. Hes not really young so you would have to think if he keeps this up he will get his shot either late this year or early 2019.

As for Maples, his stuff is off the charts good but I just cabt trust that he will ever be able to control it consistently. Which is a shame, because if he could, he would be a monster.
    Last edited by Cubs420; 05-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.

The real Pride of the Midwest

I seem to recall the CW on Mekkes out of college was that his deceptive delivery would allow him to dominate the lower levels but might not be so effective against more experienced (read: MLB) hitters.

Just watching some video of him with Myrtle Beach, I don't see a ton of deception there.

I personally want to see Maples establish himself out of the pen but eventually get a shot at starting. He could be a Morton type if he can dial in his command. 2 filthy breaking balls and a fastball in the upper 90s... there's a lot more potential there than strictly a high leverage reliever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I personally want to see Maples establish himself out of the pen but eventually get a shot at starting. He could be a Morton type if he can dial in his command. 2 filthy breaking balls and a fastball in the upper 90s... there's a lot more potential there than strictly a high leverage reliever.

Didn’t Maples suffer a slew of injuries while being a starter in the minors?

I personally think that ship has sailed...I think he’s most likely going to be a reliever in the Majors

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post

He couldn’t make it as a starter in the minors so I doubt they’d give him a shot in the majors.

I know it's not much for news, but I had no clue we ended up signing Danny Hultzen to a minor league contract. I must have missed that one although I know he is done.

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    I know it's not much for news, but I had no clue we ended up signing Danny Hultzen to a minor league contract. I must have missed that one although I know he is done.
    Is he pitching yet? If so, where?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Is he pitching yet? If so, where?
    Only thing I could find was he went to extended spring training in Mesa.

Yeah we signed Hultzen a week or so into the season IIRC.

Haven’t found anything else to say where he’s at other than Extended ST

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

I loved Hultzen coming out of the draft...Doesn't hurt taking a chance.

I see the Cubs are pushing back Alzolay a few days to rearrange the rotation. I wonder if he'll get a start in the doubleheader in Cincy next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I see the Cubs are pushing back Alzolay a few days to rearrange the rotation. I wonder if he'll get a start in the doubleheader in Cincy next weekend.
    Would be a huge fan of that, good idea, it could be that.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsInBuffalo View Post
    If this kid can ever figure out his command issues, he is going to be one heck of a reliever.

Him, Farrell and Mekkes have serious stuff.
    Why is he not even on a prospect list radar?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Why is he not even on a prospect list radar?
    Ive been thinking the same, even if he doesnt have dominate stuff, those numbers should speak for themselves, he is obviously doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Ive been thinking the same, even if he doesnt have dominate stuff, those numbers should speak for themselves, he is obviously doing something right.
    My guess is that he doesn't have the "tools" that prospect evaluaters are looking for. I mean, he's virtually unhitable at this level.

I don't get it. Low 90's fastball. Average slider at 83ish. I guess he has some deception in his delivery. He's also working on being able to repeat his delivery.

Here's some pre draft info:

"If you read this site and/or follow college ball closely, this might be the first pick to surprise in some way, shape, or form. Mekkes wasn’t a pitcher mentioned in many 2016 draft preview pieces before the start of the season, but the 6-7, 250 pound righty has opened plenty of eyes in getting off to a dominant (16.36 K/9) albeit wild (7.16 BB/9) start to 2016. His stuff backs it up (FB up to 94, interesting SL, deceptive delivery), so he’s more than just a large college man mowing down overmatched amateurs. He’s a top ten round possibility now."

"Any pre-draft list of “fastest moving” potential draftees that doesn’t include Dakota Mekkes is one I’ll look at with a suspicious eye. Mekkes may not be one of the biggest names in college relief, but he’s one of the best. I’ll go closer upside with him while acknowledging his most likely outcome could be a long career of very effective, very well-compensated middle relief. Either way, I think he’s as close to a lock to be a useful big league pitcher as any reliever in this class."

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast