Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Uhmm guys? Can we get back to my Holy War?
    bravo! bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Assuming youíre an Atheist, Would it be fair to hold you accountable for every atheistís dirty deed?

Now if you got dirt on Jesus.... let me know. Otherwise youíre just talking about a bunch of fallible/sinful humans.
    Not an accurate analogy. Christianity and Islam are belief systems. Atheism is the lack of a belief system centered around a deity. Nothing else. To lump together atheists because they donít believe in God is like lumping together people who donít collect stamps because they donít have a hobby.

Atheists do not share a belief system like Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc do.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Not an accurate analogy. Christianity and Islam are belief systems. Atheism is the lack of a belief system centered around a deity. Nothing else. To lump together atheists because they donít believe in God is like lumping together people who donít collect stamps because they donít have a hobby.

You know this is false... why do you keep doing that?

Itís not a belief in someone but it is a belief nonetheless. I donít believe in aliens... another equally correct way of saying that is ďmy belief is that aliens do not existĒ

You donít KNOW that God doesnít exist... thatís unknowable! Therefore you believe He doesnít.

I'm going to call you on this BS. There are plenty of organizations of atheists that construct systems of belief in their groups. No it's not to the extent that religious folks do, but there very much so is a large contingent of atheists who identify with atheism the way religious do their religion.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I'm going to call you on this BS. There are plenty of organizations of atheists that construct systems of belief in their groups. No it's not to the extent that religious folks do, but there very much so is a large contingent of atheists who identify with atheism the way religious do their religion.
    Wouldnít those largely be agnostic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Wouldnít those largely be agnostic?

no, agnostic means not sure about god... what I am talking about is things like this...

https://www.atheists.org/

Note the first thing you see in a red bar is:

Find your local group, Get Active

We need your support Join Us

Register for our National Convention

This has all the trappings of in group out group dynamics you find in religious affiliation. It's identity.

no, agnostic means not sure about god... what I am talking about is things like this...

https://www.atheists.org/

Note the first thing you see in a red bar is:

Find your local group, Get Active

We need your support Join Us

Register for our National Convention

This has all the trappings of in group out group dynamics you find in religious affiliation. It's identity.
    No. Agnosticism speaks to knowledge or specifically a lack of knowledge. Atheism speaks to a lack of belief. Saying I do not believe in God is not the same as saying I believe there is no God.

Iím an agnostic atheist. No claim of knowledge but see no reason to believe.

Again Atheism is NOT a belief system. Iím sure many atheists share similar beliefs. But ďatheismĒ is a very narrow and tiny box.

I think he's illustrating the similarities in the intent and actions of atheists with religious folks. Many people find a common ground in their atheism and it sets an arena in which atheists organize and move very much like organized religion

No. Agnosticism speaks to knowledge or specifically a lack of knowledge. Atheism speaks to a lack of belief. Saying I do not believe in God is not the same as saying I believe there is no God.

Iím an agnostic atheist. No claim of knowledge but see no reason to believe.

Again Atheism is NOT a belief system. Iím sure many atheists share similar beliefs. But ďatheismĒ is a very narrow and tiny box.
    ok buddy. thats fine... what does it have to do with what i said?

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I think he's illustrating the similarities in the intent and actions of atheists with religious folks. Many people find a common ground in their atheism and it sets an arena in which atheists organize and move very much like organized religion
    nasty gets it.

I get everything

ok buddy. thats fine... what does it have to do with what i said?
    Iíve seen agnosticism used in the context of ďnot sureĒ but thatís incorrect. Itís not some sort of ďhalfway houseĒ between believing and not believing. It addresses the question of knowledge, not belief.

Indeed there are clubs for atheists that express and espouse politicial beliefs, namely that government in specific and the public in general have no right to foist their beliefs into our lives. Clubs also articulate reasons why they donít believe in God. And in a world filled with theists, they want people to know that itís ok to not believe in God and to not feel pressured by the majority to believe. You can still enjoy national holidays like Christmas without going to church or professing belief in a Savior, etc. These clubs address behavior, not a system of beliefs.

To be fair, David Silvermanís club, American Atheists, does go as far as to say ďThere is no God,Ē a stance I personally am uncomfortable with since that is a claim that takes on a burden of proof.

But weíre not talking about individual clubs but rather atheism as a concept. It encompasses no belief system. You might even say itís a ďnon beliefĒ system.

Iíve heard it said, often, that atheism is responsible for much of the horror in our world history, citing as examples dictators like Stalin and Hitler. Thatís every bit as accurate as saying people with mustaches are responsible for these horrors. That they were atheists was just as irrelevant as the fact that they wore facial hair.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 02-11-2018 at 06:21 AM.

For some reason I feel like "Antebellum" should be a town in Georgia somewhere near Savannah
    I live there.

Muslim Pedophilia

...Atheists do not share a belief system like Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc do.
    The Golden Rule? Do unto others... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    The Golden Rule? Do unto others... etc.

I was referring to beliefs that might be considered unique to Atheists.

But you knew that.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast