Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

January 2018 Game Thread

So it seems pretty dead in here the last few weeks, and I'm chalking it up mostly to the lack of new game threads for activity. But rather than posting a new one every week, I figured we could at least have one for the month, and hopefully it will encourage a little more activity in here.

Based on what we're hearing from reports, it looks like the Rockets have weather the swarm of injuries. Mbah a Moute and Black are expected to play tonight, and Harden and Nene could be back on Thursday or Saturday.

A win tonight against Paul's former team would be huge, especially since the Clippers beat the Rockets last time around and LA is playing some pretty damn good basketball over the last couple of weeks. It would also be nice because they get Minnesota and Golden State Thursday and Saturday, so the schedule isn't about to get any easier.

After the Warriors, the rest of the month should be easy by comparison with Miami and New Orleans the toughest teams left on the January schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Man I was really annoyed the rockets lost that game but after hearing what happened after the game with Capela being a decoy and cp3 leading players through a secret tunnel it really cheered me up. But for real the rockets shouldínt have lost that game.

Also one other little tidbit thatís interesting is that Deandre Jordan requested a trade to Houston according to Stephen a smith. Obviously that wonít happen for a number of reasons and whatever Stephen a says is more than likely complete ********. Just found it interesting.

How do the refs possibly miss that goaltending call? That was a 5-point swing.

In the end, though, the Rockets didn't play hard enough. The Clippers just wanted it more. Can't wait until Harden comes back. I just hope the Rockets are not rushing him. Houston could also use Nene back, as well. It's very hard to watch Black on the offensive end sometimes.

Maybe that altercation after the game last night lights a fire in them.

Also, I miss Sweet Lou.

Ariza and Green suspended two games. All things considered, as bad as things sounded after the Clippers game the other night, this is hardly the worst possible outcome.

And then they came out like gangbusters tonight and owned the fourth best team in the Western Conference with James playing like crap in limited minutes. I know he wasn't great, but it's nice to have him back, and he'll be back to his old self shortly.

That win tonight makes it 16-0 when Harden, Paul and Capela all play together. That record will be put to the test on Saturday, though. This is probably one of the most important regular season games they'll have left all season long. They need to at least be competitive.

Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Love having Luc back. Good to see Nene back, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Ariza and Green suspended two games. All things considered, as bad as things sounded after the Clippers game the other night, this is hardly the worst possible outcome.

And then they came out like gangbusters tonight and owned the fourth best team in the Western Conference with James playing like crap in limited minutes. I know he wasn't great, but it's nice to have him back, and he'll be back to his old self shortly.

That win tonight makes it 16-0 when Harden, Paul and Capela all play together. That record will be put to the test on Saturday, though. This is probably one of the most important regular season games they'll have left all season long. They need to at least be competitive.
    Then we'll just say the Rockets are still unbeaten when Harden, Paul, Capela AND Ariza all play.

Seriously, though, those suspensions were a joke. I mean, the Rockets can obviously survive without Ariza and Green for a couple of games, and I guess Trev could actually use some days off, but it's just pathetic that the league did nothing about Griffin bumping an NBA head coach, and Austin River staying inside the floor in the closing minutes of the game. Especially considering the officials made three mistakes in that play (the golatending, Griffin bumping MDA, and then the continuation on the foul). And how about Afflalo getting the same 2-game suspension for that haymaker? Or Johnson and Ibaka only getting an 1-game ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Love having Luc back. Good to see Nene back, too.
    Yeah, Luc and Nene both looked great. Luc logged 32 minutes and Nene finished with 22, meaning both played about 7 minutes more than what they've averaged during the season. Impressive considering that was Luc's second game back and Nene's first.

Gordon, Capela and Paul all looked great, obviously. That halfcourt shot by Eric was unbelievable. I thought Ryno did a good job on defense and on the boards.

And it's great to have Harden back. It's just a very different offense with him on the floor. EG is great, but he's not a point guard. The Rockets were playing like crap in the second quarter with no Paul or Harden for extended minutes. They scored 37 points in the second last night. And when they're both on the floor at the same time, the spacing is unbelievable.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Wow... Just what an unbelievable performance tonight. Paul carried them all night, but James came up HUGE down the stretch with some great decision making and plays on both end of the floor. They completely dominated the glass thanks to Anderson, Clint and Tucker, who had one of his best nights of the season. And the fact that they lost the lead and had regain it down the stretch says so much about them as a team.

It was far from perfect. They did a terrible job ending quarters. If they can hit a shot and play some defense at the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters, this game could have been a blowout. And Gordon couldn't hit the ocean with a basketball tonight if he was standing on the shore. He and Ryno were just ice cold shooting, but they got solid offensive contributions from Luc, Tucker and Clint to make up for it.

I really am starting to think the Rockets can hang with this team. So stoked for the playoffs, and if we don't get a Western Conference Finals between these two teams, it would be a travesty.

That was a nice win last night, but I think if the Rockets have any hope of getting to the NBA Finals they need to finish as the 1 seed in the Western Conference. I think we can win 1 game in Oakland and the Warriors can win 1 game in Houston. Thus, it's very important to have HCA for the WCFs. Whatever happens I can accept, but the Rockets MUST at least make it to the WCFs this year to consider the season a success, IMO.

It's worth noting that the Rockets are back to having the second best record in the NBA, just a few percentage points ahead of Boston who inexplicably lost to Orlando over the weekend. And their schedule the rest of the month is pretty darn soft, with the toughest game probably at New Orleans on Friday. Tonight's matchup against Miami will be tough, but that team shouldn't have the talent to beat Houston on paper and getting Ariza and Green back will certainly help. I'd love to see this team finish out the month with five more wins and a 7-game winning streak headed into that Feb. 1 game at San Antonio.

If the Rockets are going to lock in a top 2 seed and possibly make up some games on the Warriors with a chance to earn the top spot, this stretch of games before March is the time to do it. March's schedule has a brutal stretch where they play 11 of 12 games against playoff teams.

One thing that will be interesting to watch moving forward will be how D'Antoni uses his rotations now that everyone is relatively healthy. The last time they were healthy, Green was chilling on his couch in Boston. But I'm hoping that having one extra quality wing player will help them get more rest for Ariza, Harden and Paul. Also, now that Black is back, hopefully that will help limit Nene's minutes.

But there's really no reason why D'Antoni shouldn't be running a 9-10 man rotation moving forward. I don't want to see Harden, Ariza and Paul playing 36+ minutes a night the rest of the year. And I certainly wouldn't mind a game of rest for those guys every once in a while.

Rockets are playing really good basketball at moment. PJ is playing much better over the past two game which and Anderson has looked better. I still think the rockets need a tough interior defender but other than that Iím really happy with how this roster is built.

Looks like Green was odd guy out.

9 man rotation with Paul at 36 and Harden at 35 mins.

The last couple of games were obviously very tough, but going forward, there's no reason for Harden, Ariza and Paul to be playing 35-36 minutes, and Gordon 32-33 every night, with Green warming the bench. With games against Dallas, New Orleans, Phoenix and Orlando coming up, I'd like to see D'Antoni expand the rotation and find some minutes for Green. Some guys could probably use a day off to rest every now and then, as well.

@HTownBalla Best sig ever, dude
    Last edited by EDUTEXANS; 01-23-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

The Miami game was a good win, but a little closer than I would have liked. Tonight is an opportunity to really exert their dominance over a team, but this Dallas team has upset a lot of quality basketball teams this season, and they can't be overlooked. The Rockets need to execute and put forth the effort on both ends tonight. Get out to an early lead and not look back.

It's worth noting that although they're 3.5 games behind the Warriors, Houston has played three fewer games than Golden State. If the Rockets win the next three, it's like they're really only two games behind Golden State. And with the Rockets facing a much easier schedule in February than the Warriors, it's still not completely out of the question that the Rockets could catch them at some point this season.

What up my Rox psd brethren, I'd advise yall to go check out our fans home forum

clutch
    fans

and look for "cyberx"

He's dropping gems in threads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast