Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I really wanted Anunoby at the time though. He woulda been a perfect fit for our rebuild.

The Core's 1st Half:

Lauri: 2/4 FG, 0/1 3P, 1/1 FT, 5 pts, 4 reb, 1 steal
    Lavine: 4/5 FG, 2/3 3P, 1/1 FT, 13 pts, 2 reb, 4 assists
    Dunn: 3/8 FG, 0/1 3P, 6 pts, 2 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal

Lavine looks like a stud in the making!

Does anyone else see Dunn's potential in the Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler range? I'm not comparing them as the same player, but maybe having a similar ascension as those 2 guys. They both paved their way with elite lock down defense. That's pretty much what Dunn is doing in his 2nd year. None of them are great shooters (Butler 45% FG 34% 3's & Dray 43% FG 33% 3's). All 3 came into the league at 22 years old.

Dray's coming out came in the playoffs of his 2nd season. He didn't really start playing legit minutes until late that year. His 1st full great season came in year 3 when he turned 24.

Jimmy's also came out late in his 2nd year. He also showed out in the playoffs that year, and that's when people really started discussing him being a top notch player. Year 3 he still was just a great defensive role player who can score at times.

Now look at Kris Dunn's numbers halfway through year 2. His 1.5 year numbers are already at the same level as Jimmy and Dray's year 3! Defensively, he is to the PG/SG position, what Jimmy is the SG/SF position, and Dray to the SF/PF position.

We can knock Dunn for at times having a broke shot. That is 100% the case. That can also be the same case made for Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green. If history repeats itself, I think that is the kind of quality player we have in Kris Dunn.

Also, here is the scouting reports on all 3 of these guys coming out of college. They are pretty similar with Dray's strengths were spot on but his weaknesses were oversold big time. Jimmy definitely outdid his reports, although they were spot on when assessing him if he found a midrange game, and if he was put in the right situation. Dunn is definitely looking the part on his report too, and of the 3 reports, his had the highest ceiling and he's showing that by being slightly more advanced than both Jimmy and Dray midway through their 2nd season.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/draymond-green

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jimmy-butler

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kris-dunn

And to think, he was our throw in in the Butler trade. What a steal!
    Last edited by dabears34ft; 01-17-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Three Alphas!
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Does anyone else see Dunn's potential in the Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler range? I'm not comparing them as the same player, but maybe having a similar ascension as those 2 guys. They both paved their way with elite lock down defense. That's pretty much what Dunn is doing in his 2nd year. None of them are great shooters (Butler 45% FG 34% 3's & Dray 43% FG 33% 3's). All 3 came into the league at 22 years old.

Dray's coming out came in the playoffs of his 2nd season. He didn't really start playing legit minutes until late that year. His 1st full great season came in year 3 when he turned 24.

Jimmy's also came out late in his 2nd year. He also showed out in the playoffs that year, and that's when people really started discussing him being a top notch player. Year 3 he still was just a great defensive role player who can score at times.

Now look at Kris Dunn's numbers halfway through year 2. His 1.5 year numbers are already at the same level as Jimmy and Dray's year 3! Defensively, he is to the PG/SG position, what Jimmy is the SG/SF position, and Dray to the SF/PF position.

We can knock Dunn for at times having a broke shot. That is 100% the case. That can also be the same case made for Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green. If history repeats itself, I think that is the kind of quality player we have in Kris Dunn.

Also, here is the scouting reports on all 3 of these guys coming out of college. They are pretty similar with Dray's strengths were spot on but his weaknesses were oversold big time. Jimmy definitely outdid his reports, although they were spot on when assessing him if he found a midrange game, and if he was put in the right situation. Dunn is definitely looking the part on his report too, and of the 3 reports, his had the highest ceiling and he's showing that by being slightly more advanced than both Jimmy and Dray midway through their 2nd season.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/draymond-green

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jimmy-butler

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kris-dunn

And to think, he was our throw in in the Butler trade. What a steal!
    He knows heís gonna get his minutes, which helps a ton. Thibs is impossible to play for as a rookie. Heís gonna be here a long time. If he maintains what heís done this season, heís more than capable as pg for a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    He knows heís gonna get his minutes, which helps a ton. Thibs is impossible to play for as a rookie. Heís gonna be here a long time. If he maintains what heís done this season, heís more than capable as pg for a contender.
    That's why I took his rookie year with a big grain of salt. Was practically a redshirt year. I think depending on the team we build, he will around a 17 ppg 8 apg 5 rpg 2 spg player. I can see Lauri being a 22 ppg 9 rpg 3 3'spg player. Lavine will be interesting to watch but he has the highest scoring upside. I'm curious to see how much offense he runs and how high he can get his assists. But 25/5/5 would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I think if we can land a 14-20 1st for Niko, and land a top 10 next year, we will have an extremely deep team built up. Kind of why I wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Michael Porter and sitting him a year similar to Ben Simmons. I do really wanna see how he plays vs. college talent though.

Denzel/Portis/Nwaba/Niko 1st/2019 1st could be our bench.

Dunn/Lavine/Porter/Lauri/Rolo could be our starting lineup.

Let them all grow in 2019/2020 season, and use our cap on veterans and trade some of your young depth for more future assets in the 2020 summer.

The thing I like about Dunn is how elite he is on defense. He is a pretty good passer and can get to the rim and has a solid mid range game. Lavine and Lauri are who I look at as our future scorers. Potentially our draft pick as well this year. It's all about where we land in the draft though. If we fall to a late top 10 this year, it won't be the worst thing taking a SF like Mikal Bridges. It'd be awesome having Dunn's length and D at PG and Mikal's length and D at SF. Let Lavine and Lauri light up the scoreboards.

porter isnt sitting out a year, hes currently doing that and rumor is he will play again in college this year. he hasnt dropped classes and has been traveling with the team lately. any team rumored to want him to sit a year will cause him to go back to school. his family doesnt need the cash.

If we compare our trio with others young trios in the league, it is difficult to find one which is better than ours. It depends on how you approach the analysis. If we consider the trio formed by Wiggins, Towns and Tyus Jones, itís clear than our third player (K.Dunn in my opinion) is better than Tyus Jones, but I still prefer Wolves trio because in total these three players are better than ours.

For this reason, and because it is the most convenient as Bulls fan, I also compare our third better young player against the third better player of other trios, so we can see that teams like 76ers overpass us in regard of players with 23 years old or under, because I suppose the number one pick in one of the best drafts in the whole NBA story (it will be) is better than K.Dunn, even though he hasnít proved it yet (Fultz). Denver is the other team which could overpass us either, whatever it is the way you approach it.

Even though we consider our fourth player, who would be Portis with 22, I doubt there are many teams in the NBA whose 4th young player averages 12 points and 6 boards a game. It is clear there are not many teams with more than 5 o 6 young players, but this report is about future, and Markkanen (20), LaVine (22) and Dunn (23) provide us more hope than any other building Bulls teams I have ever seen, even Curry, Crawford and Chandler were below them.

Bulls: LaVine (22), Markkanen (20), Dunn (23), Portis (22)

Philadelphia 76ers

76ers overcome us, it doesnít matter if we consider their 3rd young man or the trio in global, even their 4th young player is better than ours (Saric>=Portis), though they are close. So letís recognize, they have a brilliant future if there are no injury problems, something maybe we cannot assume taking into account that Embiid, Simmons and now Fultz have already lost one entire season at least.

76ers: Embiid (23), Simmons (21), Fultz (19)
    Overall trio: 76ers>>Bulls/3rd player: Fultz>Dunn/4th player: Saric(23)>=Portis
    Grade: 76ers>>>Bulls

Minesotta Timberwolves
    Both Wiggins and Towns are 22, and they would be all-star players someday (I guess if Wolves are 3rd-4th in the west conference, Towns, along with Butler could make it this same year). We cannot say that Markkanen and LaVine are comparable with Towns and Wiggins, even though the last have progressed slower somebody could expect, but Wolves donít have depth in regard to young players: T.Jones and Patton are the only players under with 23 or under. Consequently, I find our roster with more room of improvement.

Wolves trio: Towns (22), Wiggins (22), T.Jones (21)
    Overall trio: Wolves>Bulls/3rd player: Dunn>>T.Jones/4th player: Portis>>>Patton (20)
    Grade: Wolves=Bulls

Boston Celtics

They have very good prospects, there are players like Jaylen Brown and Tatum who could play all-star for years, I donít see a possible top 10 player, though. Smart is only 23 but he has played a lot of games in the NBA so he has almost reached their ceiling. Rozier will be a top backup PG in the league, but nothing else.

I wouldnít put Tatum over Markkanen at this point, but I donít dare to say Lauri is better either. Jaylen Brown is more complete than LaVine, and he could reach a Jimmy Butler level (a top 20 player) within 2 or 3 years. Dunn is only one year younger than Smart, but he is sophomore, so I would say he we overpass Marcus sooner than later.

Celtics trio: J.Brown (21), Tatum (19), Smart (23)
    Overall trio: Celtics=Bulls / 3rd player: Dunn=Smart / 4th player: Portis>Rozier (23)
    Grade: Celtics=Bulls

Phoenix Suns

It is wonderful to compare Booker with LaVine. No wonder if they win 4 or 5 top scorer titles in the next 12 years, altogether. However, Booker is one step forward and he is even younger. The opposite situation with Chriss and Markkanen in Bulls favor, and Josh Jackson could step forward next year the same way Dunn did this one. Bender and Ulis would be my favorite bet to occupy the 4th spot, but Bender is younger and completes the 4 fantastic 20-years old group.

If we consider both trios, Booker is the best player of the six, but 2nd,3rd and 4th spots would be occupied by Bulls players, even Portis could be ahead of Chriss if we consider just current performance. But I am considering the potential in here, and there is no doubt that Chriss and Jackson will be players with a long career in the NBA.

Suns trio: Booker (20), Chriss (20), J.Jackson (20)
    Overall trio: Suns=Bulls / 3rd player: Dunn>J.Jackson / 4th player: Portis>>>Bender (20)
    Grade: Suns=<Bulls

Milwakee Bucks

With Jabari injured twice, there are some doubts about if he is able to return to the prior level. Somebody compares him with LaVine, but I have read some specialized doctors saying that Parker situation is more risky, not only because he has been more time, but also because the zone.

I donít have faith in Maker either. He could be just a decent player within some years, but anything else. So, why make sense to include this team in this analysis? Antetokounmpo is still 23Ö He is a MVP candidate with only 23 so I couldnít exclude Bucks from this comparative, by no means.

Bucks trio: Antetokounmpo (23), Parker (22), Maker (20)
    Overall trio: Bucks>Bulls / 3rd player: Dunn>>>Maker / 4th player: Portis>>>Vaugh (21)
    Grade: Bucks=<Bulls

Los Angeles Lakers

Ingram never will be a superstar, not even a top 20 player, and I doubt he reaches allstar even. Kuzma will be an average starter but nothing else. Lonzo Ball will be a very complete player, but he would never be the first or second best player in a contender team, due to the kind of game he plays.

Nevertheless, all these years tanking have provide them with a lot of depth, so much so that their fourth best young player is the best in this analysis: Julius Randle. The situation would be even greater if they wouldnít have traded Russell this summer. Anyway, they have tons of talent but there is not a clear all-star bet.

Lakers: Ingram (20), Ball (20), Kuzma (22)
    Overall trio: Lakers <<Bulls / 3rd player: Dunn>Kuzma / 4th player: Randle (23)>Portis
    Grade: Lakers<<Bulls

Orlando Magic

Gordon could have been an allstar player this same year if Magic would have been a decent one or two more months. He can make the difference in the future if he is surrounded properly, something which seems difficult as long as he stays in Orlando, because their FO is just as bad as Bullsí.

It is hard to imagine Payton reaching allstar level, and Isaac is this kind of player who is going to be progressing during 5-6 years in a row, although anybody knows until where. I donít know if these three players can play together during many years in the current NBA, though, because none of them are long shooters. Hezonja is a decent player if he accepts his real status as NBA player, but the same case that Randle, their teams donít pretend to re-sign them and I donít know whyÖ

Magic: Gordon (22), Payton (23), Isaac (20)
    Overall trio: Magic<<Bulls / 3rd player: Dunn>>Isacc / 4th player: Portis>>Hezonja (23)

Denver Nuggets

Jokic is, along with Antetokounmpo and Embiid, the only player in this analysis who is a clear aspirant to reach 2018 allstar. Maybe Booker or Towns get it too, but it could be otherwise and nobody would be surprised. Besides, the fact that Jokic can create game and compensate the fact that Harris and Murray are pure shooters, make this trio even more dangerous and unpredictable.

They overcome Bulls, and the only question here is about if they have the best young trio in the current NBA. In my understanding, they are performing better than 76ers trio nowadays, but I donít see as many franchise players in this team as I see in 76ers. Murray and Harris and very efficient shooters, just like Tatum is too, but something like Allan Houston is their ceiling in the best case. Including Lyles as 4th and excluding out Mudiay says it all.

Denver: Jokic (22), G.Harris (23), Murray (20)
    Overall trio: Nuggets>>Bulls /3rd player: Dunn<Murray / 4th player: Lyles (22) = Portis

Final Conclusion
    76ers>Nuggets>>Celtic>=T-Wolves>=Bulls>Bucks>Suns>>Lakers>Magic
    I'm NBA fan who write from Spain so... I'm sorry for my spelling mistakes

Wolves fan here. I hope to catch some Bulls games soon as Lavine was one of the favorites of many of us in the Wolves forum.

Obviously he has a long way to go defensively, but offensively he has the opportunity to be the best pure SG in the league imo. Some games he would remind me of a poor man's Steph Curry the way he could heat up and start hitting long pull-up 3s. Not to mention how much he worked in his 3 years in Minnesota to move off the ball like Korver or Allen and the great 2-man game he had with Gorgui Dieng.

Dunn will be interesting to watch because he is fairly athletic and aggressive on defense, but does not have any area on offense where he particularly shines.

Honestly, I would have rather traded Wiggins than Lavine.

Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    Wolves fan here. I hope to catch some Bulls games soon as Lavine was one of the favorites of many of us in the Wolves forum.

Obviously he has a long way to go defensively, but offensively he has the opportunity to be the best pure SG in the league imo. Some games he would remind me of a poor man's Steph Curry the way he could heat up and start hitting long pull-up 3s. Not to mention how much he worked in his 3 years in Minnesota to move off the ball like Korver or Allen and the great 2-man game he had with Gorgui Dieng.

Dunn will be interesting to watch because he is fairly athletic and aggressive on defense, but does not have any area on offense where he particularly shines.

Honestly, I would have rather traded Wiggins than Lavine.
    I agree I think LaVine is the better talent and will be the better player if healthy.

I'm definitely glad we got Lavine over Wiggins. IIRC, the reports were that the Bulls and T'Wolves had a deal lined up a few hours before the draft started. The Bulls were asking for the pick, Lavine, and Dunn. Thibs did not want to give up Dunn, so the deal fell apart. Then, Thibs called back later and said "Fine, I'll give up Dunn but then we need your 1st in this draft tonight." For which the Bulls obviously agreed.

Soooo glad we got Dunn instead of that pick. I look at that deal as a huge win for us, and I'm sure that T'Wolves fans are more than happy with the deal too.

I thought it was Lavine who he didn't want to give up

Quote Originally Posted by toovey107 View Post
    I thought it was Lavine who he didn't want to give up
    I heard on 670 a few weeks ago, Cowley or Goodwill I forget who it was, but the Bulls were always getting Lavine/#7 pick for Butler. And it was a matter of the Bulls either (a) ponying up the 15th pick or whatever it was for Dunn or (b) the Bulls keeping the deal but not getting Dunn

Looking back, how scary would Dunn and Butler be on defense together. Only thing that woulda made more sense with Dunn there is for them to trade us Wiggins instead of Lavine. Dunn/Wiggins/Jimmy/Taj/KAT woulda been an all time defensive team, but would have had no shooting. Dunn/Lavine/Jimmy/Taj/KAT woulda been more balanced.

This was probably one of the most even trades in recent memory. Even for the present that is. For the future, we got the better of deal by a long shot. Dunn could easily pave his way similar to Jimmy G in the NBA. He's actually a year and a half ahead of Jimmy's pace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast