Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Why? Technically you can make more if you were to be tagged say 3 straight years as opposed to what you would have made for those 3 years had you signed a contract originally. Either way he is going to get paid.
    I thought a team could only put a FT on the same player twice. Did that rule change?

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    I thought a team could only put a FT on the same player twice. Did that rule change?
    Cousins about to get his third

I was talking to a friend about this, and one thing we thought could work was that, instead of doing it positionally, have it be offensive and defensive players, and have the average salary be the top 10-15 players on each side. This way, it gets rid of the positional stigmatism, and if you are franchising a player to keep him, you are paying him as a top playmaker. Maybe you would have to break out QB from this, but I think something like this could work.

Why? Technically you can make more if you were to be tagged say 3 straight years as opposed to what you would have made for those 3 years had you signed a contract originally. Either way he is going to get paid.
    Just like Cousins. Heís about to get PAID once heís not eligible to be tagged anymore. His max salary heís eligible for keeps going up each time heís tagged. Also itís not like heís being paid pennies by being tagged, Bell is still going to get his money.

Should running backs be exempt from the franchise tag?

Franchise tag is ****. Once the contract expires give him a deal or let him go, why retaining someone that don't want to stay? NFL is no different than any other business, **** the employees.

"Killer Instinct"

Franchise tag is bs anyway. But it does impact the livelihood of running backs much more

Ya for sure. Kirk Cousins made the most money in a 2 year span than any other player in NFL history.

I think a guy should only be able to get franchised once then no more tag for him

I can see the OP's point. But the non-RBs will be screaming bloody murder if you give somebody special treatment.

If I could be a football player, I wouldn't want to be a running back. I always joked before that running backs have the shelf life of teen idols like The Backstreet Boys and N'Sync (if you don't count Justin Timberlake's solo career -- but where are the other four?). If running backs were taller, they would be tight ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Just like Cousins. Heís about to get PAID once heís not eligible to be tagged anymore. His max salary heís eligible for keeps going up each time heís tagged. Also itís not like heís being paid pennies by being tagged, Bell is still going to get his money.
    Thereís no long term security. If he gets hurt next year then heís gonna end up with a lot less money than if he signed a contract and thatís probably on his mind

The worst example of this is Matt forte, Chicago bears absolutely ran him into the ground and kept tagging him. Not sure what happened after, but I remember during that whole thing, forte was just getting abused

For shorter careers, the Franchise tag actually helps. And in the long run Bell could wind up with more money without significant injury next season. In which case if they were to send the franchise tag his way a 3rd time, it would result in a 44% pay increase. I think it is more likely at that point the Steelers work out a long term deal or let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Thereís no long term security. If he gets hurt next year then heís gonna end up with a lot less money than if he signed a contract and thatís probably on his mind

The worst example of this is Matt forte, Chicago bears absolutely ran him into the ground and kept tagging him. Not sure what happened after, but I remember during that whole thing, forte was just getting abused
    Actually he never played a season under the tag. They used the tag on Forte in order to work out a long term deal. He eventually signed a 4 year deal at 32 million. Meanwhile Peterson was making 14 million a year.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

Yea but he got more guaranteed money for 1 year than he would if he signed a long term contract. Letís say he signed a multi year deal and got $20 mil guaranteed but then suffered a career ending injury his first year (worst case scenario). Heíd get released from the team and have made less money than the $24 mil he made this year. If he gets franchised again he makes more guaranteed money next year and then they will have to pay him even more money if they work out a long term deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12