Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Stephen Curry more unguardable than Shaq?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (look at his efficiency).

1 5.00%
  • No (screw efficiency).

19 95.00%
  • Other (ban my account if I don't write player's name in thread).

0 0%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Is Curry More "Unguardable" Than Shaq?

Simple question. On this forum, Shaq has been considered the most unguardable player in NBA history. Upon looking at Shaq's offensive numbers numerous times over the past few years, I'm not convinced he is... Do you think Curry is more unguardable? Why or why not?
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Nope. Curry isn't that hard to guard if you dont mind him raining threes on you all game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Nope. Curry isn't that hard to guard if you dont mind him raining threes on you all game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    But what player/coach wouldn't mind Curry draining 3's like they were free throws if they aren't actually trying to tank?
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

No, but I would say he's the second most unguardable in history behind Shaq. Wouldn't have a problem with them being even. With Curry, you can triple team him and he can still be you making a contested shot or pass. Same thing with Shaq, just instead of 3s and long jumpers he's an arms reach from the rim.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Curry's efficiency is higher, but can it be counted on to be as high in crunch time situations or in the Finals?

Curry's TS% in the Finals is:
    2015: .585
    2016: .580
    2017: .619

Shaq's is:
    1995: .606
    2000: .576
    2001: .575
    2002: .636
    2006: .532

Another thing to consider is how many points you need. If you need 2 points, consider that Steph Curry's efficiency is so high because of the extra point awarded to a 3-pointer, but if you need 2 points the extra point isn't as valuable as whether you will actually score that bucket more consistently.

If you need a 2, statistically if you give the ball to Shaq he'll make the basket 58% of the time or get to the line, where he has a .578 FT rate.

Curry will make the shot 48% of the time and has a FT rate of .237, so he is less likely to make the shot or get to the free throw line, suggesting if you need 2 points, Shaq will get it for you more often, but that Curry will get more points as or more efficiently (which wouldn't really matter if all you need is 2).

I want to see at least one more dominant post season from Chef before I say he's as unguardable as Shaq. And even then it's kind of tough to say since they now have Durant on the team.
    The Baker is coming.

They're both unguardable. Why does it have to be one or the other? They're just two completely different players. I think Steph creates more problems for a team when you have the right set of players but Steph can be pushed around and bullied by some players. It's not exactly a knock on him but you can bug him around. Shaq? No way. I don't know a single player today who would could prevent Shaq from doing what he wanted. I can see GP or Stockton frustrating Curry. I saw LeBron frustrate Curry. Delly did a decent job on him and he's a role player. Could you imagine a backup C ever giving Shaq a problem? Plus, Shaq is a freebie once he gets the ball under the basket. Curry's shot either goes in or it doesn't. You live with the result good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Curry's efficiency is higher, but can it be counted on to be as high in crunch time situations or in the Finals?

Curry's TS% in the Finals is:
    2015: .585
    2016: .580
    2017: .619

Shaq's is:
    1995: .606
    2000: .576
    2001: .575
    2002: .636
    2006: .532

Another thing to consider is how many points you need. If you need 2 points, consider that Steph Curry's efficiency is so high because of the extra point awarded to a 3-pointer, but if you need 2 points the extra point isn't as valuable as whether you will actually score that bucket more consistently.

If you need a 2, statistically if you give the ball to Shaq he'll make the basket 58% of the time or get to the line, where he has a .578 FT rate.

Curry will make the shot 48% of the time and has a FT rate of .237, so he is less likely to make the shot or get to the free throw line, suggesting if you need 2 points, Shaq will get it for you more often, but that Curry will get more points as or more efficiently (which wouldn't really matter if all you need is 2).
    This is great insight valade16 but it doesn't answer the question. True shot percentage doesnt take into account defense/contested shots.

This would be a great response to the question "who's hands do you want the ball in for the x time left on the clock" or something of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    They're both unguardable. Why does it have to be one or the other? They're just two completely different players. I think Steph creates more problems for a team when you have the right set of players but Steph can be pushed around and bullied by some players. It's not exactly a knock on him but you can bug him around. Shaq? No way. I don't know a single player today who would could prevent Shaq from doing what he wanted. I can see GP or Stockton frustrating Curry. I saw LeBron frustrate Curry. Delly did a decent job on him and he's a role player. Could you imagine a backup C ever giving Shaq a problem? Plus, Shaq is a freebie once he gets the ball under the basket. Curry's shot either goes in or it doesn't. You live with the result good or bad.
    I love what you say about Shaq here. I really do still think he's criminally underrated - Don't see how or why anyone who have him lower than 3 on any all-time list. No other name comes to mind first when I hear the word dominance with regards to basketball. He defined the word.

I'm sorry but this is completely ridiculous. I don't care what stats say, eye tests is all you need. Steph Curry is AMAZING but when I think of playoffs/FINALS, Shaq is in a completely different league.

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    This is great insight valade16 but it doesn't answer the question. True shot percentage doesnt take into account defense/contested shots.

This would be a great response to the question "who's hands do you want the ball in for the x time left on the clock" or something of that nature.

Are you suggesting that Curry's shots are the only ones that in NBA history, have been contested? Shaq was the posterchild for refs not understanding what's a foul or not because guys were bumping into him and Shaq barely moved. He was 100% getting contested but it didn't make a difference. That is the exact definition of unstoppable. And so far, in the playoffs when things get tight, Curry hasn't looked close to unstoppable. In fact, Kyrie has looked more unstoppable in the playoffs than Curry. Can you explain Curry's lack of playoff domination? It seems all his numbers across the board drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Simple question. On this forum, Shaq has been considered the most unguardable player in NBA history. Upon looking at Shaq's offensive numbers numerous times over the past few years, I'm not convinced he is... Do you think Curry is more unguardable? Why or why not?
    Interesting comparing a guard and a big. It's easier to get double and get the ball out of Curry's hands. Once Shaq had the ball it's already in the hoop. I'm going Shaq.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Are you suggesting that Curry's shots are the only ones that in NBA history, have been contested? Shaq was the posterchild for refs not understanding what's a foul or not because guys were bumping into him and Shaq barely moved. He was 100% getting contested but it didn't make a difference. That is the exact definition of unstoppable. And so far, in the playoffs when things get tight, Curry hasn't looked close to unstoppable. In fact, Kyrie has looked more unstoppable in the playoffs than Curry. Can you explain Curry's lack of playoff domination? It seems all his numbers across the board drop.
    Did you mean to quote someone else here?

I've never suggested anything remotely as ridiculous as saying only curry gets his shots contested.

I've also been championing Shaq hard in this thread and rated him above Curry if forced to do so in a ranking system here.

I also think I commended your post a few posts ago for how you described Shaqs impact. Yep, check post #9.

More than anything totally confused by this post lol.

No

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

True, it is an analysis of that particular subset of the game, but it is relevant here. Because how a player plays and is guarded when it matters changes, so you can't just use a catch all stat like TS% to say one player is more unguardable than the other because it doesn't account for situation.

Otherwise, wouldn't the answer to who was the most unguardable player be DeAndre Jordan? He has a higher TS% than both of them. Obviously this illustrates that "most unguardable" is not simply a measure of efficiency or TS%.

Simply put, Curry can be guarded more effectively than Shaq can, especially in crunch time.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast