Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 281 of 281 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281
Results 4,201 to 4,214 of 4214
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    A. The federal government doesn’t have mandatory paid family leave, in fact we are one of the few industrialized countries that still doesn’t.

B. We do already have tax breaks for children.

C. Yes immigration is part of a realistic solution, it’s literally what experts are saying we should do:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/07/25...the-baby-bust/

I’m not saying we should just do immigration increases and call it a day, but yes absolutely increased immigration can help alleviate the problem. Yes, many other countries are suffering in the same way, but immigration isn’t as viable an option for them because hey are not the #1 most desirable destination for immigrants: the US is.
    A) Local governments can implement that but it's not nearly long enough for raising a child. I don't believe the federal government should be involved because state taxes play a large role in how some programs may or should be funded.

B) Increased tax breaks means more.

C) I didn't quite catch the part where they stated that immigration is a realistic solution but I'm also about to head to bed so maybe I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    A) Local governments can implement that but it's not nearly long enough for raising a child. I don't believe the federal government should be involved because state taxes play a large role in how some programs may or should be funded.

B) Increased tax breaks means more.

C) I didn't quite catch the part where they stated that immigration is a realistic solution but I'm also about to head to bed so maybe I missed it.
    So you proposed a solution you are against implementing lol?

So you proposed a solution you are against implementing lol?
    How so? I just don't believe the federal government has done a great job handling locality issues particularly with the minimum wage discussion. The last thing we need is for them getting involved with how paid leave should be funded. State governments should start pushing out paid leave according to their tax structure and how it gets funded. Going back to the cost of living, raising a child is significantly more expensive in NYC. It should be up to NY and the mayor of NYC to decide how to go about it rather than following a federal guideline. Conservative states tend to have a higher fertility rate than liberal states so it's certainly a factor. Lower costs, lower divorce rates, etc., play a role. Why shouldn't states decide?

How so? I just don't believe the federal government has done a great job handling locality issues particularly with the minimum wage discussion. The last thing we need is for them getting involved with how paid leave should be funded. State governments should start pushing out paid leave according to their tax structure and how it gets funded. Going back to the cost of living, raising a child is significantly more expensive in NYC. It should be up to NY and the mayor of NYC to decide how to go about it rather than following a federal guideline. Conservative states tend to have a higher fertility rate than liberal states so it's certainly a factor.
    Then don’t have them get involved in how it should be funded, have them get involved in mandating it. To your last point, conservative states also tend to have less family leave, which is doubly concerning if they also have higher fertility rates.

We know what we get if we leave it up to the states, a lack of family leave in large swaths of the country.

Then don’t have them get involved in how it should be funded, have them get involved in mandating it. To your last point, conservative states also tend to have less family leave, which is doubly concerning if they also have higher fertility rates.

We know what we get if we leave it up to the states, a lack of family leave in large swaths of the country.
    The issue with mandates is it gets held up in the courts because states don't like when the feds get involved (depending on which political party they are supporting) so something like that would be heavily contested. Plus, mandates could be revoked by the next administration if they aren't in support of it which would cause a whole mess of things. States can just move a lot quicker. Conservative states have a lower cost of living and more traditional roles for women due to religion, etc., so it can explain the higher fertility rates in wanting to be a mother. Certainly living in an expensive area would be impossible to raise a child without making a huge sacrifice financially which is why tax credits need to be increased to incentivize having more children. I wonder if (not implying anything negative) people who have partners of the same gender also plays a role in a declining fertility rate. Probably minuscule but maybe it's a factor nonetheless.

As for leaving it up to the states, people move to different states for various reasons. I definitely see a state offering paid leave as a huge advantage to living there so hopefully it sets a trend. States don't want to lose out on population due to the # of house seats.

The issue with mandates is it gets held up in the courts because states don't like when the feds get involved (depending on which political party they are supporting) so something like that would be heavily contested. Plus, mandates could be revoked by the next administration if they aren't in support of it which would cause a whole mess of things. States can just move a lot quicker. Conservative states have a lower cost of living and more traditional roles for women due to religion, etc., so it can explain the higher fertility rates in wanting to be a mother. Certainly living in an expensive area would be impossible to raise a child without making a huge sacrifice financially which is why tax credits need to be increased to incentivize having more children. I wonder if (not implying anything negative) people who have partners of the same gender also plays a role in a declining fertility rate. Probably minuscule but maybe it's a factor nonetheless.
    By mandate I meant pass a law. Pass a law requiring X amount of weeks of family leave for births and leave it up to the states to implement their own specific funding.

And yes conservative states higher fertility can be explained with those factors. But there are still many people in those states who need or could badly use family leave for children and don’t get it.

Family leave doesn’t only affect fertility rates, the US has among the worst infant mortality rates and family leave could reduce that number, which also increases our population replacement.

Can we talk for a moment about how virtually every word from the top ratings guy on Fox is just a straight up lie about immigration?

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status...553563140?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Can we talk for a moment about how virtually every word from the top ratings guy on Fox is just a straight up lie about immigration?

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status...553563140?s=21
    Why would anyone with a brain listen?

After watching this video (which I would love to know how Fox got it), I think that one of the basic things we could do to improve border security is drastically increase physical fitness standards. That border agent couldn’t even make it over a basic hurdle.

https://twitter.com/badfoxgraphics/s...270144001?s=21

Damn some people got grifted and then some people got GRIFTED. There's a dude down in Texas who spent $30M to build part of Trump's wall on a three mile stretch of the border and now he wants someone to buy it from him.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Excuse me…I was told they only wanted to go after illegal immigrants…

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Excuse me…I was told they only wanted to go after illegal immigrants…

That was always the bull **** lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    HaHa, Americans best learn how to pick fruits and nuts. The workers' trucks will be leaving the city at 4:00 am for Boone Berry farms.
    4:00am? Are we letting the Americans start the late shift to get used to the hardwork?