Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Now people across league are alledgedly calling for draft picks to be taken off raiders as punishment these a holes this is total bs. Can anyone believe this self righteous rubbish. Apparently Marks press conference was a confession

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL MAGROIN View Post
    Fritz Pollard can eat my balls

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerSophist View Post
    To be fair, Mark Davis pretty much admitted that he had a deal with Gruden before the end of the season (Christmas Eve) which looks like he did not comply with the Rooney Rule. He'll get fined or the Raiders will lose a draft pick if true that they did not comply with the rule. Kinda sucks given the Raiders (Al Davis') history with hiring minorities, but a rule is a rule. I just hope that the league does not yank a draft pick.
    Somebody has to complain...they aren't happy if 100 dollars bills were shoved up their a@@

mberr Guest
    A rule is a rule is a rule. Just bc it's your team getting punished shouldn't make a difference. Let's not be hypocrites.

Also proof that they didn't follow the spirit of the rule is that Bobby Johnson is getting fired and the USC guy is getting interviewed for WR coach. These guys were never even close to being serious candidates.

Strange, I thought Johnson would be retained.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    This is b.s.

When any other team in professional sports has hired 3 minority head coaches, a minority GM, and a woman CEO then come talk to the Raiders about the Rooney Rule. Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie felt Jon Gruden was the best man for the job-but this country doesn't care about the bast candidate for the job any more. Its all about quota's and fragile sensibilities.

But...This is the world we now live in. Mark could have been a bit more methodical and low key about this until the deed was done.
    This is where I will disagree with you Proximo. If the Raiders did follow protocol, then they have nothing to worry. The purpose of the Rooney Rule is to provide minorities a fair chance (although when will the first woman coach occur?). The Raiders have to know about the rules and follow the protocol. Fair and simple. If there are rules and regulations, you follow them. Simple. A lot may be bureaucracy and not always the best, but that's the game the NFL owners have agreed to play.

the lions got at 200,000.00 fine, so i guess we should as well but they shouldn't take away picks that would be unfair, if our 1st gets took I'm gonna be chapped. they all jus jealous and scared of us now lol

Quote Originally Posted by mberr:32095230
    A rule is a rule is a rule. Just bc it's your team getting punished shouldn't make a difference. Let's not be hypocrites.

Also proof that they didn't follow the spirit of the rule is that Bobby Johnson is getting fired and the USC guy is getting interviewed for WR coach. These guys were never even close to being serious candidates.
    Actually the fact that they're bringing the USC coach BACK for another interview shows that they did their due diligence and were impressed enough to warrant a second interview. I'd say that's rule followed right there. Although even of it was a sham interview, it was still an interview nonetheless. Rule followed, you can't force a team to ignore their preferred target just because he's white.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarneti53 View Post
    Actually the fact that they're bringing the USC coach BACK for another interview shows that they did their due diligence and were impressed enough to warrant a second interview. I'd say that's rule followed right there. Although even of it was a sham interview, it was still an interview nonetheless. Rule followed, you can't force a team to ignore their preferred target just because he's white.
    I agree with this. Because of the fact that he interviewed for the head coaching job and even though Gruden was their #1 target they were still impressed enough to bring him back for another interview for a different position. If he does get the WR coaching gig in the NFL that could lead to other positions down the line in the NFL including OC and possibly HC some day.

What a ******** rule. Its just another hurdle the NFL puts out there for an image helper. Its should be simple......... who is best for the job.
    Dogdaddy

Quotas devalue the system for everyone. Mark wanted Gruden plain and simple and that makes him guilty of what? Making up his mind too soon?

It starts out as a rule with the best of intention, the unintended consequences make the parties involved guilty for knowing what they want and moving forward in a positive and direct fashion. The ability of things like the Rooney Rule to have a positive effect are done.

Let the most talented and successful prevail....
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    Quotas devalue the system for everyone. Mark wanted Gruden plain and simple and that makes him guilty of what? Making up his mind too soon?

It starts out as a rule with the best of intention, the unintended consequences make the parties involved guilty for knowing what they want and moving forward in a positive and direct fashion. The ability of things like the Rooney Rule to have a positive effect are done.

Let the most talented and successful prevail....
    Bingo.

Equality? Are we equal or not? Can't say we're equal then have rules that benefit one or the other. I think we're past that. The bottom line is money. I think most owners, whether in the NFL or anywhere in the business world, would hire a purple alien from planet Schlonengrab if he made the company money. If they don't, then others will, and overcome them eventually. Things tend work themselves out in a free market.

Who's advising Mark? I don't understand what was the rush to announce Gruden. Was a week going to make that much of a difference? This is just another situation where the details just have not been thought out properly. Whatever the fine, it's just another unnecessary problem created by management that could cause future problems, especially if it's draft picks. We all know what the rule involves, Mark's legal people should have taken steps to protect him.

Reggie stated that they did interview 2 minority candidates before Gruden. Just because ownership was focused on Gruden, doesn't mean the Rooney Rule was infringed.

There will be no penalty as a result, imho.

Minority quotas are a waste of time, they are almost always impossible to enforce.

It's just the optics of the whole thing.

I've hired/fired my share of people. When you're looking at prospective hires you are looking for certain qualities and skill sets. When you find that combination of things what color a person's skin is has not even a smidgen of relevance. It's all about getting the work done, nothing more, nothing less.

Mark could have helped the optics of this deal had he done as mentioned above, held back the announcement for a week or so....
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast