Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

2018 Midterm Elections

There are so many races and the campaigning will be picking up soon (if not already) so seems worth starting up an all purpose thread for the 2018 races.

Here's a good general source for election info: https://ballotpedia.org/United_State...lections,_2018

A total of 468 seats in the U.S. Congress (33 Senate seats and all 435 House seats) are up for election on November 6, 2018. As the election cycle unfolds, Ballotpedia is tracking important primaries for both the House and Senate.

The Republican Party holds a 51-seat majority in the Senate. Democrats hold 47 seats, and the remaining two are held by independents who caucus with the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party is on the defensive in 2018, as they are left defending 25 seats (two of which are held by independents), while only eight seats up for election in 2018 are held by Republican incumbents. The Democratic Party is further weakened by having to defend seats in a number of states which supported Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton in 2016. However, Democrats' victory in the 2017 special Senate election in Alabama leaves them only two seats shy of the majority in the Senate.

Heading into the election, the Republican Party holds a majority of 241 seats to Democrats' 194 seats in the House. The Democratic Party is well-positioned to gain seats in the chamber in 2018; since 1934, the party of a newly elected president has suffered an average loss of 23 seats in the House in the following midterm.[1]

Ballotpedia has compiled the following resources to help voters better understand the landscape and consequences of the midterm elections in 2018:

Battleground Senate races: https://ballotpedia.org/United_State...18#U.S._Senate

Battleground House races: https://ballotpedia.org/United_State...018#U.S._House

4 GOP candidates are convicted criminals:

Joe Arpaio - obviously

Michael Grimm running for the House seat in Staten Island's district, is a former FBI agent who plead guilty to tax evasion

Greg Gianforte running in Montana for re-election, lest we forget, plead guilty to assault after body-slamming a reporter

Don Blankenship running for Senate in WV served 1 year in prison for conspiring to evade safety laws which lead to the death of 29 miners at his mine in 2010.

1 Dem candidate is a convicted criminal:

David Alcorn in New Mexico was conviceted of stalking. He's in a group of 9 candidates for the Dems in that district and the DCC won't back him, so he likely won't survive long.

So that's cool

There is no requirement that a politician not be a convicted criminal. Bigly sad. The only requirements are age, years of citizenship, and residency. It is actually unconstitutional for states to add extra limits.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post

Joe Arpaio - obviously

Michael Grimm running for the House seat in Staten Island's district, is a former FBI agent who plead guilty to tax evasion

Greg Gianforte running in Montana for re-election, lest we forget, plead guilty to assault after body-slamming a reporter

Don Blankenship running for Senate in WV served 1 year in prison for conspiring to evade safety laws which lead to the death of 29 miners at his mine in 2010.

David Alcorn in New Mexico was conviceted of stalking. He's in a group of 9 candidates for the Dems in that district and the DCC won't back him, so he likely won't survive long.

So that's cool
    So much nonsense going on the last 18 months that I forgot Gianforte... he'll probably win.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Joe Arpaio is 85. The would make him, what, 92 by the time his term is over? I just don't understand what he's thinking as to why that would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    Joe Arpaio is 85. The would make him, what, 92 by the time his term is over? I just don't understand what he's thinking as to why that would be a good idea.
    He probably doesn't win... there are 3 viable candidates running and the two crazy right wingers will split the vote with the lady probably winning the nomination...

Arpaio running is probably a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    I would look at his career up until this point and ask what has made him think what he did was a good idea. Filming Latina women using the bathroom, putting people out in the hot sun to suffer, and dressing people up in pink clothes to embarrass them. None of these are things a normal person does.

He donít give a **** because he got away with all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol

Chelsea Manning is running for senate in MD

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Lol

Cardin won't lose the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Lol

The world is ending.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    The world is ending.
    Ehh I don't think it is a big deal. Same thing with Joe Arpaio. Sure it's interesting at the time but we'll move passed it pretty quickly once people don't vote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Ehh I don't think it is a big deal. Same thing with Joe Arpaio. Sure it's interesting at the time but we'll move passed it pretty quickly once people don't vote for them.
    I was making an attempt at being funny. I haven't been very good at that lately.

He/she has no chance, and that's what is hilarious. Everyone with a cause wants to be a politician these days. Even if it is the likes of Arpaio and Manning.

With all jokes aside, we're in a ****ed place right now.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Chelsea Manning made public video of an American military helicopter gunning down and murdering unarmed civilians, including a Reuters journalist, all the while the men were laughing and mocking the people they were slaughtering. She exposed the Granai airstrike, a bombing that killed somewhere between 90 and 150 Afghan civilians. She exposed many of the horrors in the Afghan war...showing how needlessly wasteful, destructive and failed it was. How our soldiers had killed hundreds of civilians that went unreported. She exposed how 150+ innocent Afghans and Pakastanis were being held for years without charges in Guantanamo, including people like farmers, chefs and drives. So on and so forth.

I get thinking leaking that information is disqualifying -- if that's how you feel I wouldn't argue too much against it -- I can't ever imagine an argument that it's anti-American. And it's amazing to see the right, who spent 8 years terrified of the authoritarian and nontransparent Obama administration, but never actually want to see anyone walk the walk. I don't get why people want to be in the dark. Want to let the government hold all these secrets. To be so detached from the wars and the chaos we're creating.

As the LA Times put it, "no democracy can or should fight a war without the consent of its people, and that consent is only meaningful if it is predicated on real information". We get NO real information on the wars we fight. We often are peddled intentionally false information in an effort to get us in to wars.

She's been an unapologetic advocate for the freedoms of speech, information and privacy. She as a champion for human rights and government transparency. She cares more about truly making this country great and having a government for the people than anyone you far-right dingbats could ever imagine voting for. Y'all supported a child predator because he hates gay people.

Would I vote for her? IDK. But like I was saying in the other thread, I think she's someone who certainly is passionate enough and truly is getting into politics to do (what she deems as) good. And like I said, I wish we had more politicians that truly cared and truly in it for altruistic purposes.
    this my sig

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post

Joe Arpaio - obviously

So that's cool
    I serially doubt Aprio will win the republican primary. Same with Blankenship.

Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast