Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which of the remaining players is best?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

6 33.33%
  • Wilt Chamberlain

5 27.78%
  • Shaquille O'Neal

5 27.78%
  • Tim Duncan

0 0%
  • Magic Johnson

0 0%
  • Larry Bird

1 5.56%
  • Kobe Bryant

1 5.56%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon

0 0%
  • Another Player (Please Specify)

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Efficiency-wise? Sure. But by most other barometers, early 60s Wilt was superior. His regular season and posteason numbers were better in the early 60s.
    '67 Wilt had a more efficient season than Shaq ever had and he led the playoffs in offensive and defensive win shares averaging 22ppg / 29 rpg / 9apg. If we had the block totals it would be even more unreal. Unless you are obsessed with raw scoring numbers than I don't know why you would take early Wilt.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I've seen some really good arguments in this thread for Kareem and Wilt, and a couple of good arguments against them. But where is the argument FOR Shaq? He's winning this poll somehow, but I haven't seen a single solid post just laying out the case for him over Kareem and Wilt.
    Shaq is modern. Wilt will automatically draw votes from both sides: those who overrate his stats and those who underrate him due to competition. Shaq played in a more modern NBA so he's going to get those votes. If I had to choose, I'd probably go Wilt for the career but I'll take Shaq for a peak season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    There's an argument to be made that kaj peak came in a weaker era due to the dual leagues thing. Kaj played with far and away the 2 greatest playmakers of their time, its sorta how Amare wasn't the same without Nash. KAJ was kind of weak until the late 70s when he started taking the abuse more seriously. I could never imagine Wilt or Shaq just getting out muscled the way he did.

For their era, that was more important imo
    And KAJ's skyhook will always be used as the most unguardable shot but Shaq+Wilt were the most unguardable players so I'm not sure how KAJ really has an argument here. If they all played in the same era with their prime, KAJ would not be the best C. Imagine Shaq+Wilt with two GOAT level talent PG's who had no problem sharing the ball. Jesus.

I'm having an absurdly difficult time picking between Shaq, Kareem and Wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Real simple. Pick the guy who you think will help you win the most. That's usually the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    And KAJ's skyhook will always be used as the most unguardable shot but Shaq+Wilt were the most unguardable players so I'm not sure how KAJ really has an argument here. If they all played in the same era with their prime, KAJ would not be the best C. Imagine Shaq+Wilt with two GOAT level talent PG's who had no problem sharing the ball. Jesus.
    For someone so unguardable, why was Shaq's and Wilt's efficiency slightly less than Kareem's on about the same attempts? That is how myths get spread from generation to generation. They were all efficient (Wilt was in his latter years), I just imagine someone who is so "unguardable" as being on Stephen Curry's level of efficiency.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    For someone so unguardable, why was Shaq's and Wilt's efficiency slightly less than Kareem's on about the same attempts? That is how myths get spread from generation to generation. They were all efficient (Wilt was in his latter years), I just imagine someone who is so "unguardable" as being on Stephen Curry's level of efficiency.
    Not sure what you mean. Shaq's efficiency was higher and Wilt's was obviously going to be lower for obvious reasons. It wasn't until later in Wilt's career that he began taking more efficient shots. KAJ became more efficient after Magic came along. Like I said - Wilt+Shaq would all see an increase if they had Magic feeding them the ball. It wasn't just Magic, too. Worthy+Byron running the wing is underrated. They didn't call them Showtime because of KAJ. Also, just because they are unguardable doesn't mean **** happens. Shaq was fouled so many times under the basket that they often never called a thing. I mean, how many points would the guy have every game if they didn't foul him like he's the Terminator?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Well there's a lot to consider. 1 Wilt's inefficiency was partly a product of his era. Consider he led the league in FG% in 9/14 years in the league.

Also consider TS% measures efficiency with FT shooting included. I don't think you're "guarding" someone if you foul them. Wilt and Shaq both put the ball in the hoop at a ridiculously high clip (58% for Shaq and 56% for Wilt).

The fact they weren't efficiency freaks like Curry is simply because they couldn't hit FTs. So their (relative) inefficiency is not really a result of anyone stopping them.

Or put differently, you can't send Steph to the line because he's simply too good a FT shooter. But you can lower his efficiency by playing tremendous defense on him and limiting his open looks. Conversely, nobody could really play tremendous defense on either Shaq or Wilt and actually stop or impede them, the only way to stop them was to send them to the line.

Well there's a lot to consider. 1 Wilt's inefficiency was partly a product of his era. Consider he led the league in FG% in 9/14 years in the league.

Also consider TS% measures efficiency with FT shooting included. I don't think you're "guarding" someone if you foul them. Wilt and Shaq both put the ball in the hoop at a ridiculously high clip (58% for Shaq and 56% for Wilt).

The fact they weren't efficiency freaks like Curry is simply because they couldn't hit FTs. So their (relative) inefficiency is not really a result of anyone stopping them.

Or put differently, you can't send Steph to the line because he's simply too good a FT shooter. But you can lower his efficiency by playing tremendous defense on him and limiting his open looks. Conversely, nobody could really play tremendous defense on either Shaq or Wilt and actually stop or impede them, the only way to stop them was to send them to the line.
    Yup. I mean, the sheer fact Delly was bugging Curry to the slightest and Delly was just pure adrenaline should be enough evidence that Curry can be annoyed to an extent where he isn't dominating you. Shaq+Wilt, you could throw three guys at them and they'll at least hit the rim every time.

What is preventing you from Wilt? He can score and defend on the same level as the other 2 while also being the fastest, strongest, most athletic, and best passer. I feel like you could throw him in a game tomorrow and he'd be fine guarding pick and roll. Switching on to ball handlers. etc.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    What is preventing you from Wilt? He can score and defend on the same level as the other 2 while also being the fastest, strongest, most athletic, and best passer. I feel like you could throw him in a game tomorrow and he'd be fine guarding pick and roll. Switching on to ball handlers. etc.
    Well there's the trade-off between monster efficiency or volume scoring that the other two don't have to contend with (meaning when Wilt scored a ton, he wasn't super efficient and when he was super efficient he didn't score a ton).

There's also the consistently referenced selfishness. But I am leaning Wilt, even if slightly.

KAJ...... then shaq or wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Wilt.

His combination of size, speed, and leaping ability make him the best fit for the modern game. Can you imagine Shaq or Kareem switching out on to Curry?
    I can imagine 300-pound Orlando Shaq with his 7'7" wingspan stepping out on the perimeter just as well as Wilt. People forget how quick and athletic he was before going to Los Angeles and gaining 80 pounds.

Will honestly like to mention, that if this is strictly best player all time, peak performance, Stephen Curry has to be on the poll for next round, and honestly could be considered for this spot here over the towering bigs on the board

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Will honestly like to mention, that if this is strictly best player all time, peak performance, Stephen Curry has to be on the poll for next round, and honestly could be considered for this spot here over the towering bigs on the board
    Based on nominations and previous votes I plan to add Dwyane Wade and Steph Curry to the next poll.

Does anyone want to nominate any others for the poll?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast