Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 184
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    17,381

    Natalie Portman at the Golden Globes

    So Natalie Portman threw shade at the best director nominees by stating they were all men, and she's being heralded as a great person for doing so.

    They're making everything into the Rooney Rule, this isn't inherently a good thing. If no women made the best movies in a year then they don't deserve the nomination.

    We're a year or two away from having one white male vnomination, one black male nomination, one white woman, one black woman, etc.

    Participation trophies for each race and gender.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    So Natalie Portman threw shade at the best director nominees by stating they were all men, and she's being heralded as a great person for doing so.

    They're making everything into the Rooney Rule, this isn't inherently a good thing. If no women made the best movies in a year then they don't deserve the nomination.

    We're a year or two away from having one white male vnomination, one black male nomination, one white woman, one black woman, etc.

    Participation trophies for each race and gender.
    While this is true as a general statement, it probably doesn't really apply to this year specifically. Indeed, if there's any year where women could have inundated the best director category it was this year.

    Lady Bird is the best reviewed movie in Rotten Tomatoes history and even won the Best Musical or Comedy Golden Globe. Wonder Woman was considered the surprise blockbuster hit of the summer and has received great reviews. Heck, even Sofia Coppola won the Best Director award at the Cannes Film festival.

    The chances that none of these directors should have been nominated given the accolades and reviews of their films is remote.

    But when you look at who was nominated we see that rather than favoring men, it seems the Golden Globe simply favors prominent directors because Guillermo Del Toro, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott were 4/5 nominees and they are among the biggest directing names in Hollywood.

    You can argue the culture and systemic issues of Hollywood predominantly give men more opportunities to direct and thus a far greater chance of becoming household names thus garnering favoritism at awards shows.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    17,381
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    While this is true as a general statement, it probably doesn't really apply to this year specifically. Indeed, if there's any year where women could have inundated the best director category it was this year.

    Lady Bird is the best reviewed movie in Rotten Tomatoes history and even won the Best Musical or Comedy Golden Globe. Wonder Woman was considered the surprise blockbuster hit of the summer and has received great reviews. Heck, even Sofia Coppola won the Best Director award at the Cannes Film festival.

    The chances that none of these directors should have been nominated given the accolades and reviews of their films is remote.

    But when you look at who was nominated we see that rather than favoring men, it seems the Golden Globe simply favors prominent directors because Guillermo Del Toro, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott were 4/5 nominees and they are among the biggest directing names in Hollywood.

    You can argue the culture and systemic issues of Hollywood predominantly give men more opportunities to direct and thus a far greater chance of becoming household names thus garnering favoritism at awards shows.
    Thanks for all the info here, I was not aware of any of this and it was indeed a general statement. I don't really pay attention to Hollywood outside of watching a few new movies every year. I still think it's headed in the direction of my second to last line though.
    Last edited by Ezekial; 01-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,868
    Hollywood does a great job of patting themselves on the back

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,737
    Who cares what anyone in Hollywood has to say about anything?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,196
    Gosh dang Patriarchy!

    Didnt you listen to Oprah's speech beforehand? All men except for a select few are evil. Especially the white ones.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    74,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    So Natalie Portman threw shade at the best director nominees by stating they were all men, and she's being heralded as a great person for doing so.

    They're making everything into the Rooney Rule, this isn't inherently a good thing. If no women made the best movies in a year then they don't deserve the nomination.

    We're a year or two away from having one white male vnomination, one black male nomination, one white woman, one black woman, etc.

    Participation trophies for each race and gender.
    they are doing this for everything. Literally everything possible. Get used to it. Any movie/part/director/etc that was a white male, is subject to being re-made with black and or female, and criticism will never stop if the majority (and especially all) of a category is white male.

    Here is the thing, as with racism, sexism is being changed. No longer is it acceptable to treat women as second class citizens, and rightly so. BUT, as with racism, people want change NOW!! At all costs. The problem with that, is it took decades, upon centuries, to get to where we are. Changes don't happen overnight.

    I mean, I like that Portman wants to be a voice. But can someone clue me in on why she would use that venue?

    all in all, progress rarely moves at the speed of it's pioneers and activists, to their dismay. Get over it.

    And Jack said it right above me, who cares what people who live in a bubble think? Dance monkey

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    eau claire, wi
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    they are doing this for everything. Literally everything possible. Get used to it. Any movie/part/director/etc that was a white male, is subject to being re-made with black and or female, and criticism will never stop if the majority (and especially all) of a category is white male.

    Here is the thing, as with racism, sexism is being changed. No longer is it acceptable to treat women as second class citizens, and rightly so. BUT, as with racism, people want change NOW!! At all costs. The problem with that, is it took decades, upon centuries, to get to where we are. Changes don't happen overnight.

    I mean, I like that Portman wants to be a voice. But can someone clue me in on why she would use that venue?

    all in all, progress rarely moves at the speed of it's pioneers and activists, to their dismay. Get over it.

    And Jack said it right above me, who cares what people who live in a bubble think? Dance monkey
    Agree with this, Hawk.

    It's a point I bring up all the time when talking about this stuff. If you are forcing "progress" on people. Can it even really be considered real progress? One could argue that it makes things even worse because it causes resentment towards the cause.

    Truthfully, I think we are making progress and will continue to. But it wont happen over night. It will likely be a several generation thing. But at least it will be real, and not manufactured.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    26,425
    She's a sore loser.
    If there were a woman nominated and a man won, she would have complained that "of course the man won"

    More men direct. That is changing and that's a good thing. But like Hawk said, it doesn't magically all become equal in a month.

    I mean she could just say that all of those directors sexually harassed her and the committee will remove their names and pick all women



    The new Yankee star, Luke Voit

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25,037
    It is ironic to me whenever someone who supports Trump says "who cares what celebrities in Hollywood think anyway".

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    74,911
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    Agree with this, Hawk.

    It's a point I bring up all the time when talking about this stuff. If you are forcing "progress" on people. Can it even really be considered real progress? One could argue that it makes things even worse because it causes resentment towards the cause.

    Truthfully, I think we are making progress and will continue to. But it wont happen over night. It will likely be a several generation thing. But at least it will be real, and not manufactured.
    my Dad is a rich, 65 year old white man, Republican voter till death, etc. So his views on this are off to me, but he won't even watch the new Star Wars, because he said they had to make the new jedi a girl. While I laughed initially, he kind of has a point. But to me, that is far better than remaking Road House with a woman, or having Annie be black, etc. Meaning, something that was already made, doesn't need to be re-made with a change just to make a change. I could care less if they come out with 008, a new Bond movie with another agent, who is a woman. But I will have a hella problem if they come out with .007 being a woman.

    Progress can be good, but forced progress can have negative consequences. But, at the end of the day, it's all entertainment. They can do what they want, we get to choose if we want to pay to see it.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    74,911
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    It is ironic to me whenever someone who supports Trump says "who cares what celebrities in Hollywood think anyway".
    what do you mean?

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    13,165
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    74,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    She's a sore loser.
    If there were a woman nominated and a man won, she would have complained that "of course the man won"

    More men direct. That is changing and that's a good thing. But like Hawk said, it doesn't magically all become equal in a month.

    I mean she could just say that all of those directors sexually harassed her and the committee will remove their names and pick all women
    hahaha

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    25,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    what do you mean?
    I wasn't calling out you (or anyone specifically actually), but people in general can't say "who cares what celebrities think?" and then vote for a celebrity lol. Obviously, you care what celebrities think.

    and I generally find Hollywood and celebrities completely out of touch hypocrites who have extreme views.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •