Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammels might be a good option. Ian Kennedy might be as well though his contract is huge.

Were probably stuck with Morales. Solarte and Diaz are both guys who can play multiple positions too, even Travis should be getting some reps in LF.
    Morales could also have a better start to the season and be more valuable to us or raise his value on the market.

I know people want to get rid of Morales after last season, but the guy is still likely to hit 30 bombs this season if he plays everyday. One thing he did do well last year was pound left handed pitching. If he struggles against RHP again next year (which would be the 3rd year in a row) you simply platoon him with Solarte...who's a switch hitter that's better against RHP. That would still only be around 15M for great production.

He also played 28 games at SS last year. That allows them to start the season with a bench of Solarte, Pearce, Maile and one of Carrera/Hernandez/Fields as the 4th outfielder. It also allows them to stash Diaz in AAA until he is needed.to play SS everyday.

They managed to get 2 middle infielders for under 7M. Hopefully now they can focus all of their attention on acquiring that impact bat and impact arm Atkins talked about. The top FA starters and OF's are still out there, so let's see what else they can do. 😀

Morales as a bounce back candidate is a 1.5 WAR player at best, which could be easily matched if Tulo and Travis played an extra 60-80 games between them (which may be possible if they were DHed more).

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    The troll is back to kill the conversation again, yay.
    you could have just stayed away mike noodles

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    And Diaz was an all star a year ago and is 27, Id rather take a chance on a guy who was a MLB all star a year ago then a former top 100 spec. Who I might add again was had for basically nothing.
    the point however being is that we're closer to the orioles than we are to the red sox or the yankees

isnt the point of everything (trying to contend instead of rebuilding) to you know to actually contend?
    if you think Solarte and Diaz do that youre sorely mistaken

Goins had 62 rbi last year, i doubt either of these guys do that this year

remember like it or not we finished well under .500 last season so in order to contend they need to add 15 wins
    i dont see these two adding more than 3 combined
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 01-07-2018 at 06:46 PM.

So what does that have to do with these moves? They desperately need infield depth and they went and got that without giving up much money or prospects so now they still have money and pieces to add big if they can.
    So do these moves suddenly look good if they go add a big arm and bat?

Exactly lance. Nobody is saying that those moves put them over the top on on par with Houston, Boston and NY. They are just saying that the moves are good ones. They could solve their middle infield depth issues for the next few years while they try to rely on an aging Tulo and seemingly fragile Travis. Not only that, Solarte provides insurance at 3B if JD skips town after this season and Vladdy isn't ready. If he does need to be our stopgap, his contract couldn't be any better with 2 more team options.

If these are the only two moves they make then I can understand being pissed. There's still guys out there and they have money to spend. Fangraphs I think it was has them at 83 wins. I'll wait to see what the spring training roster is like before I complain. They could end up trading for Yelich and signing Cain for all we know. They took care of infield depth. They can focus on outfield and pitching now.

Yeah theres still so many FAs out there. I really dont know whats going on. About 70-80% of the FAs are still on the board. Maybe more.

then i hope we see a JD Martinez and a Yu Darvish in town soon because we need impact players not more of the same, because I honestly dont see much real help for Donaldson and maybe Smoak on this roster, Sanchez and Stroman can get 30 wins between them, osuna 40 saves, Teoscar can surprise, but the rest of the roster is a bunch of meh

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    then i hope we see a JD Martinez and a Yu Darvish in town soon because we need impact players not more of the same, because I honestly dont see much real help for Donaldson and maybe Smoak on this roster, Sanchez and Stroman can get 30 wins between them, osuna 40 saves, Teoscar can surprise, but the rest of the roster is a bunch of meh
    So Estrada and Happ cant get you 25 wins between them?

Martin can't be better then he was last year?

Tulo can't provide more then he did last year?

Travis can't provide more then he did last year?

Any improvement over Bautista in OF last season should add 3-5 wins alone!!!!

So even marginal increases from the players mentioned in addition to what ever else we add to replace Bautista and additional 5th starter that can add 10 wins and 160 innings. This alone puts us above .500 and better then we were last season.

If some of these players have exceptional bounce back seasons, it can be better.

Sorry your out to lunch. Goins 62 RBI's can't be replaced??? Both Diaz and Solarte combined will be better then Goins and Barney were!!! That is you goal in the off season. So they improved. And their goal should be to improve on Bautista in OF, and Andersson/Latos/etc... as your 5th starter. If they improve there and get more games played by the injured last season, and have better depth to cover injuries....they will be better and closer to the Yankees and Red Sox.

Relying on bounce backs and career years is not the way to win. i think that is what hes saying. lets not forget that NY added Stanton and Boston is likely to add Martinez. IMO Martinez is the only FA that will make a dent in our standing at the end of the season. hes they key to it all. If we can't get him then we are better off rebuilding. I would be in favor of these moves even in a rebuild year though. Both Diaz and Solarte are as likely to have break out campaigns like the ones that gave us that lead us to the playoffs (Encar and Bau), as the players we traded for them (down the line).

Am I the only one who doesn't want to sign J.D. Martinez to a five or six year deal in the $200-$250 million dollar range?

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I like Olivares. He's a young CF with decent pop.

Solarte is a solid bench player though behind Travis. If needed he can play everyday and produce offensively. He's a switch hitter but is MUCH better against RHP.
    Exactly!! I dont' trust Travis nor Tulo being healthy so Diaz and Solarte would be a big benefit for depth!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast