Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which of the remaining players is the best?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • LeBron James

10 47.62%
  • Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

3 14.29%
  • Wilt Chamberlain

0 0%
  • Shaquille O'Neal

3 14.29%
  • Tim Duncan

0 0%
  • Magic Johnson

3 14.29%
  • Larry Bird

0 0%
  • Kobe Bryant

0 0%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon

0 0%
  • Another player (please specify)

2 9.52%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Yeah Chronz WTF? Dude has like 4-5 perfect years.
    I've never heard anyone try to knock LeBron for his dominating seasons. He's had years where he's clearly been just as good as any other historic-NBA years.

This should be another tier example. It's a preference of what you prefer. No wrong or right answer but my preference goes towards the guy who just does more and can adapt to any team.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Well first of all I am not sure that we are judging just one season of play here but overall ability of a player and who you would take.

I will focus on Shaq since you think he or Wilt should be going here. I am not sure but will use 2000 as a basic look at their best statistical years for basics https://www.basketball-reference.com...alsh01&y2=2000

Now Lebron had MVP, FMVP that season just like Shaq did and he clearly matches up statistically. It is the same post season where Bird made that comment about Lebrons run I believe. Game 6 vs. Boston was the epic individual moment even if was are talking about including single moments to the single season. Even if we were saying you have to pick one defining season and match it up (whether accolades, stats, visual impact, key moments etc) he would have a case. If we narrow it down further than just one season to judge best and look at say a finals performance (or best key series since SA for LA) I think 2016 does him more favors than Shaq with those final 5 games/ending.

I mean I already stated I think Shaq is in this tier don't get me wrong but what is the big argument for him over Lebron that is so obvious? Right now I see it as two very dominant players who each have arguments depending on what you value.
    We're not suppose to value mvp tho. I'm not that impressed with besting an old Celtics team compared to how Shaq throttled the 01 loffs and a 3 peet vs stronger comp imo. Like compare their production vs the best teams they've played against, are they really better than what Shaq did to DPOY and swarming defenses? Bron has his GS victory but I wouldn't call that peak Bron, would you?
    Well I was focusing on a single season since you used that as reasoning haha.
    I think 12/13 for lebron is close to 00/01 for shaq at the least.

If a past his peak lebron put up a better top level performance than peak shaq doesn't that help lebrons case of that's how you wanna judge?

I am fine looking at this from multiple angles, I think lebron has a good case most ways you view this.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    This should be another tier example. It's a preference of what you prefer. No wrong or right answer but my preference goes towards the guy who just does more and can adapt to any team.
    It seems as if people mostly agree the top 5 are (in some order) MJ, Bron, Kareem, Shaq, Wilt. But it will be interesting to see if they actually end up the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16:32085701
    It seems as if people mostly agree the top 5 are (in some order) MJ, Bron, Kareem, Shaq, Wilt. But it will be interesting to see if they actually end up the top 5.
    I worry about funny business with kareem

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I worry about funny business with kareem
    Maybe but I think he'll definitely be Top 5, he's already getting some votes at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Lol you guys are ridiculous. Nobody today could contain Shaq. That's like saying Amare would less effective today despite helping kick start this era, young Shaqs floor is a 7ft Amare with high bb iq. He evolved his game based upon the standards of the time. Think of it this way, look at Shaqs final season and realize he was producing at a higher level (per minute) than DJ when he was healthy, with him in the lineup the Celtics were finally an elite offensive team. That's an old Shaq producing at an all star level, he was feasting on dump offs and lack of primary attention, similar to DJ. What's a prime Shaq gonna do in an era where dribble penetration is so easy. The NBA made rules to help offset his dominance, it influenced the rest of the league more imo.

Shaq couldn't be defended by twigs, small ball would be reversed quite abit just with his presence
    Thank you! Prime Shaq would destroy this small ball nonsense! Lolz! Just the thought of Draymond Green trying to guard Prime 01 Shaq is hilarious.

I copped out and went with LeBron so I could have more time to debate myself on KAJ vs. Shaq vs. Wilt.

Wilt with 0 votes.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I copped out and went with LeBron so I could have more time to debate myself on KAJ vs. Shaq vs. Wilt.

Wilt with 0 votes.
    Obviously europeanpilgrim hasn't visited the thread yet.

The run on the 3 dominant centers is going to make for some great discussion.

Well I was focusing on a single season since you used that as reasoning haha.
    I think 12/13 for lebron is close to 00/01 for shaq at the least.

If a past his peak lebron put up a better top level performance than peak shaq doesn't that help lebrons case of that's how you wanna judge?

I am fine looking at this from multiple angles, I think lebron has a good case most ways you view this.
    Lebron didn't though.

EDIT: I'm actually not sure I understand what you're saying in the bolded part. I thought you were saying Lebron's winning finals performance against the Warriors was better than any of Shaq's finals wins, but I'm not sure if that's the case.
    Last edited by LeonFSU; 01-08-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Going with Lebron here. If we didn't take era into consideration, I think other guys would have a chance, but given Lebron's ridiculous athleticism and talent and that he's dominated in arguably the most talented era in basketball's history, he's an easy pick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonFSU View Post
    Lebron didn't though.

EDIT: I'm actually not sure I understand what you're saying in the bolded part. I thought you were saying Lebron's winning finals performance against the Warriors was better than any of Shaq's finals wins, but I'm not sure if that's the case.
    He specifically mentioned the GS series but that it isn't really his peak as if that matters. If that series is more impressive to someone it doesn't knock it down just because it wasn't his peak (and imo that's more impressive). I think it depends how you are judging things on "better".

I don't think Shaq beat a team at the level of GS in the same fashion personally though. I think many times the finals opponents were clearly weaker and you could argue Western team was the hardest competition. In 01 which is a year regularly mentioned for Shaq SA was the best team they beat imo and Kobe fans will definitely let you know who stepped up in that series production wise. Overall it depends but my point with that statement was that if you don't consider 2016 Lebron's peak that shouldn't change how that performance is viewed (it would still count in a conversation of most impressive win).

He specifically mentioned the GS series but that it isn't really his peak as if that matters. If that series is more impressive to someone it doesn't knock it down just because it wasn't his peak (and imo that's more impressive). I think it depends how you are judging things on "better".

I don't think Shaq beat a team at the level of GS in the same fashion personally though. I think many times the finals opponents were clearly weaker and you could argue Western team was the hardest competition. In 01 which is a year regularly mentioned for Shaq SA was the best team they beat imo and Kobe fans will definitely let you know who stepped up in that series production wise. Overall it depends but my point with that statement was that if you don't consider 2016 Lebron's peak that shouldn't change how that performance is viewed (it would still count in a conversation of most impressive win).
    Okay thanks for clarifying. I thought you were strictly comparing Shaq and Lebron's performances in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonFSU View Post
    Lebron didn't though.

2016 Finals win meant more than any of Shaq's Finals wins. Those were total snoozers. Nets? C'mon.

2016 Finals win meant more than any of Shaq's Finals wins. Those were total snoozers. Nets? C'mon.
    The Finals were the WCF games...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast