Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    BA isn't everything.

That said, I would love to bring in a guy who hits for average. Or maybe a guy who doesn't strike out that much. Moose actually fits the latter.
    I like Moose more too obviously. I'm just saying Frazier isn't a bad idea. I don't want him hitting .220 in our lineup, but I also think there is a decent chance he hits something more like .240ish next season. Batting avg can fluctuate from year to year. He had two low batting averages in a row, but I could see him positively regressing with his BABIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I think he's probably a significantly below average in CF. The kid has hustle, but not the range to cover CF at a high level. And with the bum shoulder I worry about him diving all over the joint out there.

This reminds me of the Walker signing on some level. Walker was key for us (when healthy) but are we sure Wilmer couldn't have put up similar numbers for a fraction of the price? Now, I'm not saying Brandon Nimmo and/or Juan Lagares would put up Jay Bruce numbers. But there's a good chance they'd do okay, and their defense would be well worth the difference offensively.

Poor defense kills this team year in and year out, and Sandy keeps pretending it isn't even a thing.

Dude, I want no part of Colon.
    I dont think Bruce is that bad of an OF. As for Conforto, we'll see what he is defensively over the course of a full season in CF. I'm not a fan of Lagare's hitting ability. The one thing he did well when he came up (hitting LHP), he's hasn't done the last couple of seasons. As great of a defender he is, he's a 4th OFer on a playoff team at best.

I don't want any part of Colon either. It just makes sense that he would be a guy the Mets target because they don't have to pay him much.

The Mets do need more help here though. If that's their big offseason acquisition, they're short handing this team because they need obvious help in the INF and in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I dont think Bruce is that bad of an OF. As for Conforto, we'll see what he is defensively over the course of a full season in CF. I'm not a fan of Lagare's hitting ability. The one thing he did well when he came up (hitting LHP), he's hasn't done the last couple of seasons. As great of a defender he is, he's a 4th OFer on a playoff team at best.

I don't want any part of Colon either. It just makes sense that he would be a guy the Mets target because they don't have to pay him much.

The Mets do need more help here though. If that's their big offseason acquisition, they're short handing this team because they need obvious help in the INF and in the bullpen.
    Bruce isn't terrible, but he's not great. And he'll be exposed by a not-really-CF-CFer.

If the rumors are true, we might be adding to the payroll after all.

I don't think Conforto will be used everyday in CF. It kind of depends on how Smith and Nimmo do. I could see a scenario where Bruce plays more 1B than we initially think and Nimmo starts in CF against righties. Lagares will get some starts mixed in as well. I basically think Conforto will split time in CF and RF when he returns.

I don't have a problem with that. He's looked solid in CF with good enough range out there in the limited sample size. I can't imagine Nimmo is much better out there and while Lagares is a stud defesively, he's not good enough with the bat be more than a bench player right now (although I fully expect him to see a lot of playing time against lefties even though he hasn't him them all that well the last two years). I know some people are worried that Bruce might not be a great fit, but that only becomes the case if both Nimmo and Smith are hitting well and everyone is healthy. If all that happens, it's not a bad problem to have. Otherwise, we'll have a hole to fill and Bruce does so adequately at either 1B or RF. As of right now, Bruce is arguably our best healthy hitter against righties, so he's a pretty important player for our lineup. In a perfect world where everything goes right is the only environment where Bruce doesn't fit.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 01-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I don't think Conforto will be used everyday in CF. It kind of depends on how Smith and Nimmo do. I could see a scenario where Bruce plays more 1B than we initially think and Nimmo starts in CF against righties. Lagares will get some starts mixed in as well. I basically think Conforto will split time in CF and RF when he returns.

I don't have a problem with that. He's looked solid in CF with good enough range out there in the limited sample size. I can't imagine Nimmo is much better out there and while Lagares is a stud defesively, he's not good enough with the bat be more than a bench player right now (although I fully expect him to see a lot of playing time against lefties even though he hasn't him them all that well the last two years). I know some people are worried that Bruce might not be a great fit, but that only becomes the case if both Nimmo and Smith are hitting well and everyone is healthy. If all that happens, it's not a bad problem to have. Otherwise, we'll have a hole to fill and Bruce does so adequately at either 1B or RF. As of right now, Bruce is arguably our best healthy hitter against righties, so he's a pretty important player for our lineup. In a perfect world where everything goes right is the only environment where Bruce doesn't fit.
    My only issue with bringing back Bruce is it adversely effects the development of Smith and Nimmo if Bruce is taking playing time from both. I want to see both guys this year in a full time role or at least in a capacity where they get significant playing time. If not, the Mets need to deal one or both of them because they can use those pieces to help them elsewhere.

Otherwise I can't complain about Bruce. He's better than Moustakas and Frazier and the OF was still a need because Lagares can't hit. If Lagares showed signs of being a solid bat, I would have a lot more issue with the move.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-13-2018 at 06:58 PM.

My only issue with bringing back Bruce is it adversely effects the development of Smith and Nimmo if Bruce is taking playing time from both. I want to see both guys this year in a full time role or at least in a capacity where they get significant playing time. If not, the Mets need to deal one or both of them because they can use those pieces to help them elsewhere.

Otherwise I can't complain about Bruce. He's better than Moustakas and Frazier and the OF was still a need because Lagares can't hit. If Lagares showed signs of being a solid bat, I would have a lot more issue with the move.
    My feeling on this is that the cream always rises to the top. If Smith or Nimmo begin to hit at a high level, they'll get more opportunities. Just look at last season with Conforto. He was not supposed to be a starter but he hit his way into the lineup. It's a long 162 game season. Injuries are expected and guys will get their chances. Hell we already know Conforto is gonna miss some time. Depth is almost always a good thing in a long season.

Keep Cabs at 3B, and sign either Nunez or Walker for 2B. If the Mets refuse to pony up for one of these guys then at least sign Reyes as he does provide speed, and is probably much better at 2B then he was at playing 3B. The Mets need guys that can run which eliminates Walker as he is just as slow as Cabrera. If the Mets are looking for a good glove, and a 2B man with some speed they could also sign free agent, Brett Lawrie. He is not gonna hit a bunch but he does walk, and can hit singles and doubles. Personally I'd rather see the Mets trade d'Arnaud, and sign Lucroy because he can at least throw some runners out which d'Arnaud just can't do.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456