Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mavericks

0 0%
  • San Francisco Warriors

1 100.00%

Thumbs up Everyone wave to Barnes! Game 38: Warriors (29-8) @ Mavericks (13-25)

VS

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

5:30 PM Pacific Time

American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX

PROJECTED LINEUPS

The Dubs

PTS/G: 115.2 (2nd of 30) - Opp PTS/G: 105.3 (13th of 30)
    SRS: 9.45 (1st of 30)

Warriors regular season home record: 15-5
    Warriors regular season away record: 14-3

Mavericks

Smith Jr.
    Matthews
    Barnes
    Kleber
    Nowitzki

PTS/G: 101.0 (22nd of 30) - Opp PTS/G: 103.4 (9th of 30)
    SRS: -1.28 (21st of 30)

Mavericks regular season away record: 5-14
    Mavericks regular season home record: 8-11

Injury Update

Mavericks: Seth Curry (Lower leg, out), Dorian Finney-Smith (Knee, out), Nerlens Noel (Thumb, out)

Warriors: Iggy (Knee, out), Omri Casspi (Ribs, out), Draymond Green (Ankle, GTD), Mookie Blaylock (left calf strain, questionable), Chris Boucher (Knee, out)

lol, please' Key Matchups:

Warriors vs the world
    Warriors fans vs the haters

Thread goal: 100.0 posts

#FULLSQUAD
    Last edited by lol, please; 01-04-2018 at 02:53 PM.

again- it seemed very easy for the mavs players to get wide open 3 point shots. The warriors are the best shot blocking team in the league- I dont understand why they think its necesary to tripple team jj barea 2 feet from the basket with kd in the paint and leave wes mathews without anybody within 10 feet of him open for the 3.... for the love of god make jj make that 2

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    again- it seemed very easy for the mavs players to get wide open 3 point shots. The warriors are the best shot blocking team in the league- I dont understand why they think its necesary to tripple team jj barea 2 feet from the basket with kd in the paint and leave wes mathews without anybody within 10 feet of him open for the 3.... for the love of god make jj make that 2
    This game was way closer than it had to be but you have to credit the Mavericks for the way they have been playing

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    This game was way closer than it had to be but you have to credit the Mavericks for the way they have been playing

they were making open 3s.... their nba players, you have to assume they are capable of that

I think the Warriors haven't adjusted to the fact that teams are shooting 3s more and better ... they come in with a plan to leave poor outside shooters open but when they start hitting they sometimes over-react to success and sometimes under-react. They are definitely not as good at it as they used to be.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/sta...hree-point-pct

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think the Warriors haven't adjusted to the fact that teams are shooting 3s more and better ... they come in with a plan to leave poor outside shooters open but when they start hitting they sometimes over-react to success and sometimes under-react. They are definitely not as good at it as they used to be.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/sta...hree-point-pct
    yeah but matthews lead the league in 3 point shots made for like 3 years straight before curry came on the scene. To assume he isnt capable of making 3 point shots with nobody within 10 feet of him is ridiculous.... and frankly just poor strategy. Especially when the reason for leaving him is that you think jj barea requires a tripple team 2 feet from the basket.

If JJ Barea makes a the basket with 2 elite defenders who have atleast 10 inches on him- let him have it and i wont complain. its 2 points.... not a wide open 3

yeah but matthews lead the league in 3 point shots made for like 3 years straight before curry came on the scene. To assume he isnt capable of making 3 point shots with nobody within 10 feet of him is ridiculous.... and frankly just poor strategy. Especially when the reason for leaving him is that you think jj barea requires a tripple team 2 feet from the basket.

If JJ Barea makes a the basket with 2 elite defenders who have atleast 10 inches on him- let him have it and i wont complain. its 2 points.... not a wide open 3
    I agree with this.

Also we have to remember that teams are going to give the Warriors their best. I know it gets old to hear it and it sounds cliche, but these teams who have great games against us can't sustain that, it's hard to dominate everyone every single game regardless of the talent disparity. And you're absolutely right - Don't assume an NBA level talent can't make shots they aren't "known" for, even more so if they already have a history of making those shots.

On a side note- the argument that I am hearing is that barnes made a horrible decision in shooting with 12 seconds left. jim barnett was hard on him last night and frankly- I think that way of thinking is complete BS. Doc rivers snapped a reporter during the playoffs for questioning whether a team down by 2 should take an open lay up to tie the game or dribble out the clock and settle for a lower percentage shot JUST to make sure they got the last shot.

If you are tied ont he possession, I can understand wanting to get the last shot a lot more. When you are down and you need to score to stay alive..... if you find yourself at the rim with a sure thing.... that takes priority over bleeding the clock and just losing the game so you can say "well atleast we got the last shot"- even if it was a 20 foot fade away airball with 4 guys contesting it..... we can feel good that we didnt allow the other team to get a poesession and make a game winner" (LOl instead you dont even require them to make a game winner- you just hand them the game by choosing not to tie it up)

anyways sometimes my strategic logic isnt the same as others on the forum. I was wondering what everyone else thinks

Matthews came into the league the same year as Curry and has 1 year in his career where he made over 40% from 3 and that was 8 years ago. And I acknowledged that there is some bad communication and over-reactions happening right now. Part of that might be that they have run so many different lineups, part of it might be Jordan Bell over-helping and being over-helped by his teammates too.

But it's important to remember that the Warriors are very slow to make fundamental scheme adjustments because they want to win "their way". Which is why I think the adjustments the league is making to the Warriors style is hurting the Warriors and has closed the gap some.

The Warriors have been elite defending the 3 for several years now ... now they are better than average for the year and bad lately. But if you look at the tracking stats for the Rockets they had "elite" 3 point defense and the reason was that opponents were missing, not that they were defending well. The Warriors have been having even well defended 3s drilled on them lately.

Part of it might also be that the Warriors are the target so teams are just coming harder for them and they are still bored.

On a side note- the argument that I am hearing is that barnes made a horrible decision in shooting with 12 seconds left. jim barnett was hard on him last night and frankly- I think that way of thinking is complete BS. Doc rivers snapped a reporter during the playoffs for questioning whether a team down by 2 should take an open lay up to tie the game or dribble out the clock and settle for a lower percentage shot JUST to make sure they got the last shot.

If you are tied ont he possession, I can understand wanting to get the last shot a lot more. When you are down and you need to score to stay alive..... if you find yourself at the rim with a sure thing.... that takes priority over bleeding the clock and just losing the game so you can say "well atleast we got the last shot"- even if it was a 20 foot fade away airball with 4 guys contesting it..... we can feel good that we didnt allow the other team to get a poesession and make a game winner" (LOl instead you dont even require them to make a game winner- you just hand them the game by choosing not to tie it up)

anyways sometimes my strategic logic isnt the same as others on the forum. I was wondering what everyone else thinks
    I agree with you. However the Mavs were milking the clock before the shot so the presumption is had they waited 3+ seconds they could have got the same quality of shot and left the Warriors with 3 fewer seconds to work, and since the Warriors scored with 3 seconds left those 3 seconds could have been the difference.

Jason Kidd's strategic decision earlier this year on the other had I see no merit to whatsoever.

I think you're right on the money here.

I'd rather my team tie the game and possibly lose in OT than go for a game winner that means a loss if it's a miss.

That said, I think this Warriors team is the only exception in history. This is the one team where if you have the Splash Bros, a 3 is as good as a layup/dunk/goal tend if it's a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    I think you're right on the money here.

I'd rather my team tie the game and possibly lose in OT than go for a game winner that means a loss if it's a miss.

That said, I think this Warriors team is the only exception in history. This is the one team where if you have the Splash Bros, a 3 is as good as a layup/dunk/goal tend if it's a good look.
    SO I wasnt arguing on the decision whether to shoot a 2 or a 3. I was arguing on barnes shooting the ball with 12 seconds left for the warriors rather than use the entire shot clock to make sure he got the last shot.

With these circumstances in play

1) The mavs are down 2 points 122-120
    2) Barnes got a non contested shot at the rim 95%+ chance of making it (unless you're Jordan Bell apparently)
    3) it isnt far fetched to think if he chose not to shoot THAT shot and use another 10 seconds- nobody on the mavs would have had even close to that good a look
    4) The mavs were playing well enough to give themselves a decent chance in OT (if it went to OT)
    5) mavs had no time outs and warriors had 2 I think

Now, circumstance 1 is in bold because I think its by far the most important circumstance in regards to taking the first easy basket you can get. If the game was tied up- I would be 50/50 on taking a sure thing lay up with 12 seconds left. The fact that the mavs were down and 100% would have lost the game if they didnt score- makes me think barnes definitely did the right thing.

Unfortunately- the mavs were beat by a better team in spite of barnes basket. but atleast the mavs made the warriors make a buzzer beater (which statistically are not high percentage shots at all) to win the game