Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carson Palmer announces retirement

Thought there would have been a thread on this already. I completely forgot he was 38, but playing for the Bengals and having so many injuries, he has been in the league for a while. Arizona is not looking like a good destination at the moment for a potential head coach

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer announced his retirement Tuesday in an open letter after 14 seasons with three teams.

Palmer, 38, who was drafted first overall in 2003, said he felt the time was right to walk away from football.

"Over the years, I've had teammates who decided to hang it up and I would ask them how they knew when it was time to walk away," Palmer wrote. "The answer was almost always the same: You just know.

"For me, that time is now. Why? Quite simply, I just know."

Palmer's career, in essence, ended Week 7 in London, when he broke his left arm against the Los Angeles Rams. Blaine Gabbert (five games) and Drew Stanton (four) started at quarterback for the rest of the season.

Palmer went 38-21-1 during five years in Arizona, which included leading the Cardinals to a 13-3 record and a spot in the NFC Championship Game during an MVP-caliber 2015 season. That was the furthest he went in the postseason.

He didn't take a snap during his rookie season with Cincinnati, but he went on to compile a 92-88-1 record with the Bengals, Oakland Raiders and Cardinals.

Palmer finished his career with 46,247 yards, 294 touchdowns and 187 interceptions, with a career completion percentage of 62.5. He's 11th in career completions, 12th in passing yards and touchdown passes, and 14th in attempts.

Palmer won the Heisman Trophy for USC in 2002 and threw for Hall of Fame-caliber numbers in the NFL, but his 15 years were marred by injuries, disagreements with management and playing for bad teams.

Palmer threatened to retire from the Bengals in 2011 after requesting a trade that wasn't immediately granted. Palmer began to go through with his threat, and sat out the first six games of the season before Cincinnati sent him to the Raiders. Palmer finished the 2011 season in Oakland and played there in 2012 before the Raiders traded him to the Cardinals in April 2013.

In Arizona, Palmer doubled his number of career playoff games from two to four and had the best season in 2015, when he threw for a career-high 4,671 yards and 35 touchdowns.

Palmer had two major knee injuries in his career, tearing the ACL in his left knee twice, once in 2006 and again in 2014. He missed 42 games during his career, not counting the 16 he spent on the bench his rookie year.

Palmer will retire fourth in Cardinals history in passing yard and touchdowns. He owns the franchise records for passing yards and passing touchdowns in a season, both set in 2015.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ces-retirement

Sucks his final season ended with him breaking his arm and no playoffs. He was a very good QB and had a nice career.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

**** the Steelers for altering history. Lol.

The return... 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Sucks his final season ended with him breaking his arm and no playoffs. He was a very good QB and had a nice career.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. He has some numbers that are HOF worthy, however, you have to take into account the era that he's played in, and the rules are generous towards QBs. It will be an interesting debate for Palmer and his peers.

It's always a shame to me when a guy who's career spans the length of time that Palmers did doesn't ever play in a Super Bowl. See many, many others, but QBs careers more than any other is measured by Super Bowl appearances/wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Agreed. He has some numbers that are HOF worthy, however, you have to take into account the era that he's played in, and the rules are generous towards QBs. It will be an interesting debate for Palmer and his peers.
    I don't think it is a debate at all. Palmer was a good QB, but IMO, he was not a HOF caliber QB.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I don't think it is a debate at all. Palmer was a good QB, but IMO, he was not a HOF caliber QB.
    Yeah, shocking that the subject has even come up, really.

Well, we've got 2 of the 3 expected retirements out of AZ. When is Larry announcing?
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    If Palmer gets in then every modern QB who plays 7+ years has an argument. He never really accomplished anything and mostly only did well with really good teams/ offenses. I mean, i think he only won a single playoff game, going like 1-3 overall.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    It's always a shame to me when a guy who's career spans the length of time that Palmers did doesn't ever play in a Super Bowl. See many, many others, but QBs careers more than any other is measured by Super Bowl appearances/wins.
    Well, at least in 2015 his performance in the NFCCG was a big reason why he never played in a Super Bowl.

He's Eli without the playoff success. Had his big time moments, but was turnover prone as well.

IMO, this opens the door for Sam Bradford. Especially if Pat Shurmur becomes their coach like I expect he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    He's Eli without the playoff success. Had his big time moments, but was turnover prone as well.
    Basically
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    IMO, this opens the door for Sam Bradford. Especially if Pat Shurmur becomes their coach like I expect he will.
    Fair point.

The return... 2018-19

I'm surprised he didn't give it one more season.

AZ got Larry to come back for one more year and David Johnson should be back at full strength too. I guess when its time, its time

If the Cardinals bring in Bradford, that'll end their season. If the Cardinals get Shurmur, then he needs to recruit the hell out of Keenum to follow, and the Vikings then bring back Bridgewater.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast