Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    i missed the mark comparing QB's under McCarthy in relation to the rest of the NFL. McCarthy was credited for making Favre accountable his last year he played in Green Bay. his TD's went up and his INT's dramatically went down. he was also credited for developing Rodgers. Rodgers was even better success story because he never was reckless like Favre was. Flynn was a 7 round deep flyer that played like a starter. something happened after that. carefully tutored understudies McCarthy took great pride in pointing out played afraid. the last two prior to Kizer had 5 years of tutelage under McCarthy. now lets compare that to the rest of the NFL. last year Minnesota spun out 3 QB's starters in slightly more than one year. they went to the playoffs. the Eagles won the Superbowl with a traveling previously failed QB. the transformation of Goff has the rest of the NFL in amazement and will most likely see several assistants poached by other teams. my point in all this was what McCarthy did happened nearly a decade ago. his ability to catch lightening in a bottle is gone and there are a bunch of new guys that can do it.
    as far as letting McCarthy come back in and address the team it was a class move by the organization.

But there really aren't a ton. I'm not sure where this expectation comes from. And they all are typically spending premium picks or legit money on guys. We aren't doing either and I think this year showed our roster as a whole isn't that great. Heck, Rodgers this year didn't have a much better record than Hundley.

I mean McVay didn't catch lightning in a bottle with Goff. Shanahan isn't catching lightning in a bottle with Jimmy G. Maybe you can argue shanny made mullens and beathard look okay, but they are also picking 2nd overall with those guys. So numbers may look okay but they sure aren't winning games. Sean Payton has never really developed anyone behind Brees and had to trade a pick for teddy Bridgewater this year to have an adequate backup. Even after spending a 3rd rounder in the last 4 years on their heir apparent.

Foles was a former 3rd round pick who previously had a 27 td/2 pick season. Keenum is about the only real lightning in a bottle guy. And he played on a very talented team that stayed very healthy. Those same coaches couldn't repeat success this year with high priced guys in cousins and Eli.

And there's Andy Reid, who is considered a qb guru. But in his career, he's worked with Favre (2nd), McNabb (1st-#2 overall), Kolb (2nd), Vick (1st-#1 overall), Alex Smith (1st-#1 overall) and mahomes (1st-#10 overall). That's not a slight on Reid at all. He's done very well to get high level performances out of those guys. But their draft positions show that they all had quite a bit of talent and upside to be taken where they were taken. McCarthy hasn't really had much of that because backup qb has never really been a priority here. Outside of brohm, we've never invested in the position. The closest thing to a veteran backup we've ever had was an aging Seneca Wallace who got hurt almost instantly. Other than that our primary backups have been flynn, tolzien, hundley and now Kizer. Since 2009 we've spent 1 7th and 1 5th on qbs in the draft. And in that time, we've only spent more than $1 million in a season on a backup qb once, which was flynn in 2014.

Its just not something we focus on. Lafluer is supposed to be a qb guy as well. I expect him to help Rodgers some. Kizer has talent, so maybe he can help him too, but if he doesn't fix Kizer and we continue with the same backup qb philosophy, lafluer probably won't have much more success with backup qbs than MM did. You need talent to really mold something. Very few guys are turning nothing into something.

And I k os I've been the biggest McCarthy defender on here. I just feel like some of the stuff he was criticized for at the end got kind of ridiculous. And this backup qb thing is one of them to me. At the end of his tenure here he had issues. He clearly lost the most important player on the team and couldn't hold him accountable. He was late to change the offense, and when he did, Rodgers didn't help it by taking what was there. But on the other side of the token, the roster was pretty mediocre by the end too. A coaching change was needed but a coaching change alone isn't going to fix our issues and that's what alot of the criticism of MM at the end felt like. Everything that went wrong at the end was on him when in actuality alot of stuff outside his control went wrong as well, but stiff within his control was akso to blame.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-12-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314