Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    with all the talk of needing wr, seems like we may be overlooking giving our own guys a chance. restructure nelson/cobb, you have adams, you pickup FA TE and add one in draft, then why not give clark, t davis, allison, or another guys a chance to prove himself before using a draft pick on a less needed position? idk just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreenFan View Post
    with all the talk of needing wr, seems like we may be overlooking giving our own guys a chance. restructure nelson/cobb, you have adams, you pickup FA TE and add one in draft, then why not give clark, t davis, allison, or another guys a chance to prove himself before using a draft pick on a less needed position? idk just a thought
    Yeah there's not a ton of alluring FA WRs to me anyways. I wish there was better tight ends..I love Burton from his Gators days but can you pay that guy from his NFL history what it'll take. Eifert has basically missed more games than he's played in his career. It's not pretty.

Trevor Davis is as good as done. Allison lost favor towards the end of the season. Probably won't get a restructure from Cobb which is part of the problem. Paying him 10 million this season is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    Trevor Davis is as good as done. Allison lost favor towards the end of the season. Probably won't get a restructure from Cobb which is part of the problem. Paying him 10 million this season is insane.
    im on board with cutting which ever one of jordy or cobb if they dont restructure, but I think clark may be worth a shot. not a big fan of davis but hes never had an expanded role and he is fast. maybe have open competition and best player keeps his roster spot. we do have what, 11/12 picks this year? im sure we can maybe get lucky in 3rd-6th round

I think it would be a really bad choice to move into the season relying on Adams, Jordy, and Clark. Jordy will move to the slot if we move on from Cobb.

I think it would be a really bad choice to move into the season relying on Adams, Jordy, and Clark. Jordy will move to the slot if we move on from Cobb.
    all im saying is if you pickup lets say a jimmy graham or burton, then you already have adams, you have 2 rbs that showed flashes, then you take one more year and see what you have in whoever is left with nelson/cobb, clark, allison, ty, and davis. not many teams have that deep an offense. on paper it just doesnt seem like as huge a need as we are making it out to be, plus rodgers makes guys better. im not opposed to drafting depth of course, but im not a fan of drafting a wr high. id be happy with richardson, im eh on moncrief, but its not as desperate a need imo

I thought he was saying sign a FA TE and draft a WR, we've had rookie WRs as our #3 type before, which could sort of happen again. I still think we outright cut Cobb honestly and slide Jordy to the slot, he's functioned well there, and you don't need two slots. That still leaves a spot outside. Can't count on Allison or especially Clark outside there. I'm more curious to see what they do these days than speculate. I can't see them standing pat. But methinks it'll be WR in R2 and nothing more exciting than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

all im saying is if you pickup lets say a jimmy graham or burton, then you already have adams, you have 2 rbs that showed flashes, then you take one more year and see what you have in whoever is left with nelson/cobb, clark, allison, ty, and davis. not many teams have that deep an offense. on paper it just doesnt seem like as huge a need as we are making it out to be, plus rodgers makes guys better. im not opposed to drafting depth of course, but im not a fan of drafting a wr high. id be happy with richardson, im eh on moncrief, but its not as desperate a need imo
    We'll at minimum take a WR somewhere in the mids or something to throw in the mix too I would assume.

How high is high? Above round 2? 3?. We've done well with those two rounds at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

I think we should

1) keep Cobb on his current deal
    2) ask Jordy to restructure which would clear some money that would help sign offensive line depth.
    3) sign a CB so we don't have to draft one early.
    3) Draft a WR in the 2nd round. You can get a stud at 45.

Then going into 2019, you have Jordy for 1 more season at a reasonable price. Take a look at Cobb and hopefully bring him back at a reasonable price. Adams is our big money guy, and then you have that 2nd year player who hopefully is ready to break out.

Short answer: sign a cb and OL guy in Free agency so you can draft a WR earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Sdh09e44 View Post
    I think we should

1) keep Cobb on his current deal
    2) ask Jordy to restructure which would clear some money that would help sign offensive line depth.
    3) sign a CB so we don't have to draft one early.
    3) Draft a WR in the 2nd round. You can get a stud at 45.

Then going into 2019, you have Jordy for 1 more season at a reasonable price. Take a look at Cobb and hopefully bring him back at a reasonable price. Adams is our big money guy, and then you have that 2nd year player who hopefully is ready to break out.

Short answer: sign a cb and OL guy in Free agency so you can draft a WR earlier
    I am down with this. That could work pretty well IMO without doing anything crazy.

As a fan of the team, I want to keep Jordy. But at the end of the day, isnít it really the correct move to cut Jordy? Cobb is still relatively effective out of the slot. The talk is about moving Jordy to the slot in hopes he can be as effective as Cobb. Perhaps Jordy is more willing to restructure, but other than that, I donít think Jordy really offers much benefit over Cobb besides td potential.

I know Jordy has great chemistry with Rodgers, but sometimes I feel like that actually limits the offense. When Jordy is healthy, heís the guy Rodgers likes to take his shots too. And at this stage (unless he truly was hurt last year), Jordy shouldnít be the shot guy anymore. He doesnít separate as much and he and Rodgers looked off in those plays. It would probably actually benefit Rodgers be forced to find a new shot guy.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    i like the idea of FA's adds this year. it's something that we had little expectation of in years prior. if the best name for WR's is Moncreif then i say we should not add a WR. oh, i think we need new blood at the position but our best option here is let Moncreif sign with another team.
    I find it interesting that we have folks that have talked about wanting to trade for a guy like Bryant from Pitt or josh Gordon, but donít want to take a chance on moncrief, who is a similar athlete and wouldnít cost a draft pick and wouldnít break the bank financially. Moncrief measured 6í2Ē with a 4.4 flat 40 and a 39Ē vert at the combine. Thatís an inch shorter than Gordon and Bryant, but his 40 was faster and his vert was the same or better.

Moncrief hasnít been healthy and wasnít super productive when healthy. But he has all the physical tools. He seems like a perfect but low candidate. I mean heck, people like Paul Richardson as a deep ball threat, but Richardson is 2 inches shorter than moncrief, with a slightly shorter vert and identical combine soles in the 40. And moncrief is likely cheaper. Is he a guaranteed stud? No heís not. But he could be a breakout candidate in the right system if he can stay healthy.

Currently most mocks have him anywhere between 2 and 4 for WR's taken in the draft. So not exactly overlooked. But at 5'11" with questionable hands he is most certainly best suited in the slot, which is where he spent most of his career for Texas A&M. Sounds like he is a hair quicker than Ty Montgomery but a much similar talent if we drafted him.
    In a few of your posts I think you focus on size a little too much in determining slot vs outside guy. At the end of the day that line is already pretty blurry. But guys who are 5í11Ē or 6í can be very good all around WRs. Itís all about being able to run the full route tree and create separation. You donít need to be 6í2Ē to do that on the outside.

Iím not a big Kirk fan, but I think labeling guys like him as run of the mill slot guys isnít really fair to those guys in todayís league. I think the guys who are truly and likely accurately labeled as slot only types are either the really short guys, like under 5í10Ē or the guys who have good short area quickness but lack top end speed (like the Edelmanís of the world). Like I said, I donít love Kirk for a few reasons, but physically he can play the outside with his athletic profile.

if Moncrief played on a team that did not throw the ball a lot or had no one talented across from him drawing double teams most of the time i would be more enthusiastic about the possibility of bringing him in. i see no upside with the guy. none. in my mind he is going to be a guy that is expected to take the next step and never does and there is always an excuse. to compare it in fantasy football terms he is always a "sleeper". his stats say he is a bust. the case can be made his QB situation has been poor the last 2 years. this is true. i do not see him playing better than Jordy or Cobb in our system.

Moncrief is 24 years old. Heís like a year and a half older than Ridley, whoís viewed as the top rookie wr in the draft. Heís still a top shelf athlete. Luck was hurt last year and moncrief was banged up the year before. So his 2nd season was the only real season they truly played together even remotely healthy that much. And moncrief finished with 64 catches for 733 yard and 6 touchdowns at age 22.

I hardly say he has no upside, espeically since heís likely to sign for something like $3-5 mill per year. I think thatís a decent gamble to take. Heís not a guy I sign for $8 mill per year by any means, but if you can get him on like a 2 yr, $8 mill total deal with like $3.5 mill in signing bonus (aka pretty easy to cut after year 1), itís a decent gamble, which would also allow us to draft a guy this year and develop him as a 4th wr instead of a 3rd.

Here is the thing though...that "deep" lineup you mention would have been great in 2014. It sucks now.

Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast