Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    Ted had some pretty poor drafts in his last 3 years. for a team that believed in paying it's own he let pro bowlers leave. he failed to draft replacements. i can get crap over this but i think Cobb is actually one of the worst contracts we currently have. at the time i was for resigning him. Clay i think gets lots of hate but he still is disruptive, at times. going forward Aaron might be our worst contract. if he continues to throw to favorites and not the open guy this team is trapped in his contract for the next 2 years.
    Favre made a career of this and people loved him for it.

The Green Bay Narrative
    The Podcast about Packers fans hosted by a Packers fan.
    http://www.thegreenbayguy.com/podcast.html

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Hyde was a weird decision but, the Hayward situation was exactly like what you are complaining about with the Cobb and Matthews contracts. Hayward had a great rookie year and subpar years the following 3. they would have been giving him a contract for 1 year. they took a 50/50 and missed on it. it happens.

I don't think you can put a lot of the blame on Russ Ball though. He was just the contract negotiator. He got told who TT wanted to re-sign and Ball would negotiate it and it would be ok'd through Thompson.
    True, but I question the negotiation skills of a guy that has us paying top dollar for mediocre players based off of 1 good year. And then thereís the whole Jared cook-Martelus Bennett disaster. Lowballed cook, wouldnít budge, so we wind up paying more for Bennett who ended up as a headcase. That lasted half a season, then we pay even more for a washed up graham. Could still have cook for less than weíre paying graham and without the headache of Bennett. Just a world class cluster they made of that.

And yeah, youíre right about Hayward. I guess my point is the fact they didnít even talk to him see what he wanted. Considering what he got from SD, it probably didnít need to be a big number, unlike what they did for Matthews Cobb and Perry.

Thing is, that's free agency. We didn't really overpay perry as he very likely would have gotten that in the open market had he really pursued other opportunities. And that's just what free agency has become. Elite players rarely actually hit free agency. So you end up getting mediocre players hitting the market with teams desperate to fill a need so the good players get paid like great players and the mediocre players get paid like good players.

I'm all for diving into FA more. But I think it's truly a level set for fans that the more you dive into free agency, the more you end up with decisions like we had on guys like Bulaga last year where you either pay him $8 mill to play for you or $5 mill (in cap) to play somewhere else. That's very common with free agents. Alot of them never see the end of their deal and result in some dead money.

But we didnít have to pay perry. We couldíve let him walk. Itís like we know these guys arenít worth it but we pay because we not try any other way. Thatís what I donít get.

It's probably more of an indictment of our refusal to draft one early, but true stand up outside rushers to play the same spot as perry are tough to find. The year perry was a FA, the two top guys outside of perry who could play the same role as him were jabaal shears and maybe Mario Williams. Peppers kind of fit that mold too but he was more of an inside guy or an end.

And if we look at this past off-season. Maybe Vinny curry would qualify. And beyond him, it was guys like Trent Murphy, pernell McPhee and guys like that. I'm fine taking a risk on those guys on the cheap. But it sort of illustrates why we signed perry. If anything, perrys contract was more a lack of drafting a replacement than anything, because its nearly impossible to replace true outside rushers in free agency.

Packers waive Kory Toomer and signed Safety Eddie Pleasant. they also signed FB Malcolm Johnson to the PS and put G Anthony Coyle on PS injured list.

The Green Bay Narrative

minor transaction

Promoted from practice squad: OLB Kendall Donnerson
    Placed on IR: S Ibraheim Campbell

workouts: S Tray Matthews, S Jason Thompson, LB Dadi Nicolas, DE JaíVon Rolland-Jones
    Last edited by PackerBum9786; 12-04-2018 at 11:45 PM.

The Green Bay Narrative

nevermind

The Green Bay Narrative

Kinda sucks Campbell is hurt. I thought he looked pretty solid, especially compared to the rest of the trash we have at safety. Would have been nice if he could have gotten a few more games to evaluate.

Hopefully donnerson gets some snaps at some point. I've never been too optimistic on him, but he's a great athlete and worth a chance.

Packers put Kevin King and Tra Carson on IR.

they also claimed DB Natrell Jamerson and DE Fadol Brown off of waivers

The Green Bay Narrative

Kevin King May go down as a mistake. Talented player with huge potential when healthy, but that seems to be never.

Packers put Kevin King and Tra Carson on IR.

they also claimed DB Natrell Jamerson and DE Fadol Brown off of waivers
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this recently but Gute looks like he really values speed on both sides of the ball. With the claiming of Jamerson, the Packers will have 4 of the top 13 guys in 40 time from the 2018 Combine.

Tony Brown - 4.35
    MVS - 4.37
    Jaire - 4.38
    Natrell Jamerson - 4.40

I'm personally really excited about Tony Brown going forward. Can't teach that type of speed. I'm curious of Jamerson will see some playing time with Campbell hittin IR. Can't hurt to throw him into the fire at this point and see what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    Kevin King May go down as a mistake. Talented player with huge potential when healthy, but that seems to be never.
    May? you are being extremely generous. hated the pick then. hated the pick as i as urged to wait until he "developed". he has developed into ... average. hated the pick as he was IR'ed the first year. hate the pick as he was IR'ed again. yeah it doesn't bother me at all that Tapioca Ted wiffed on the pick and the best player available is tearing it up for the Steelers.

you know what I am getting tired of hearing TJ Watt brought up. I guarantee you that if he had been born with any other name and had went to any other school than Wisconsin, Packers fans wouldn't give 2 ***** about him.

At the time OLB was not and I repeat WAS NOT a pressing need. Perry had looked like he was really breaking out and had been re-signed. we had Matthews on the other side that was still commanding double teams, We just draft Fackrell the year before. CB was a HUGE need. that season we were playing 7th and 8th string CBs, we needed someone. The packers made the move to trade back get a couple more picks took the top CB on the board at the moment and took Biegel who at the time was thought to have had the same skill set as Watt. Watt was labeled as injury prone and inexperienced.

Now let's take a look at if we had drafted TJ Watt. people are saying that Moss sucked as a LB coach so maybe Watt wouldn't have turned out any good if Moss couldn't groom him. Watt went to the perfect situation, they had a ton of solid pass rushers so they could rotate in and out and put little to no pressure on Watt to be a star.

The Green Bay Narrative

you know what I am getting tired of hearing TJ Watt brought up. I guarantee you that if he had been born with any other name and had went to any other school than Wisconsin, Packers fans wouldn't give 2 ***** about him.

At the time OLB was not and I repeat WAS NOT a pressing need.
    well, be prepared for me to remind you and bring Watt up frequently. here is an article in which it seems like most of the big heads that worked for Green Bay wanted him too, all except Tapioca Ted. they must have been Badger fans too.

https://totalpackers.com/2018/10/pac...fted-t-j-watt/

as for your second point of Watt not being a "need". Rodgers was not a need either. he was the best player available. Watt was the best player available in my mind as he was for most of the guys inside the Green Bay organization. oh god, i just looked up that draft. was Mike Sherman a consultant then?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast