Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 87
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    12,427
    Donít follow other teams enough to how well Pettine did.

    Canít get worse than Capers. Iím excited.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I would argue very little most team draft structure involve the Owner, GM, HC, and scouts with some slight input from a few other areas. As for the Jacksonville thing he would have had more input there so Jacksonville may be more telling interms of his "talent eye." However, he could have been vetoed as the GM usually has the final say. There's two sides to that coin though, Bradley's defenses may have not panned out in Jacksonville, but few of those players ended up being solid picks and a good part of this years top ranked Jacksonville defense.
    Actually Jacksonvilles defense is mostly through Free Agency and a couple can't miss draft prospects from the 2016 draft in Ramsey and Jack.

    He did make a nice pick in Ngakoue though. He has panned out really well opposite Campbell.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,394
    Not much to garner from Pettine other than the fact that he served under Rex which could be pretty good. His drafts with Cleveland were pretty much miss but you are pretty handcuffed there absent a quarterback and the owner wanting Johnny Manziel.

    When he was DC in New York it looks like a lot of trades and Free Agency built their defense.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,771
    I think in just about any case, itís hard I give the coach too much credit or blame for anything draft related. Some of the more veteran guys are likely involved, but beyond that, first time head coaches like pettine and Bradley probably had little to do with their teams respective drafts. They probably have some input, and can describe the types of players they want. But they likely arenít saying we are taking player X over player Y too often.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think in just about any case, itís hard I give the coach too much credit or blame for anything draft related. Some of the more veteran guys are likely involved, but beyond that, first time head coaches like pettine and Bradley probably had little to do with their teams respective drafts. They probably have some input, and can describe the types of players they want. But they likely arenít saying we are taking player X over player Y too often.
    For sure. Just trying to read the room. We got a wild card GM, 2 new coordinators, and a coach and quarterback who apparently want more done. On top of that we lost most of our scouting skeleton. Anything could happen here. Or nothing.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    7,259
    According to Tom Silverstein Frank Cignetti is the new Packers QB coach

    RIP Gene Wilder

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,771
    Whitt was retained and promoted to defensive passing game coordinator, which is essentially assistant defensive coordinator. It sounds like he will not be directly coaching CBs anymore; as heíll be more of a big picture guy.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Posts
    6,496
    There is a lot of hate around the internet for Joe Whitt because of our cornerback situation but he has done some good things. The work he did with Tramon and Shields got us #1 CBs out of UDFAs. A bunch of the rookie corners have looked good their first season as well. Hopefully moving on from Capers scheme really helps out the rest of the CBs we still have.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,771
    If anyone is looking for a good read on pettine, google ďaccidental coach of the Cleveland BrownsĒ it gives a great intro to pettine when he was hired as the browns coach. Shows his mindset as a coach.

    Iím pretty excited. Seems like a guy players can get behind. Also seems like a guy whoís not so set in his ways heís unwilling to adapt. Sounds like he has his principles, but takes input from other coaches and encourages coaches and players to ask questions like why are we doing this or that. He could be a very nice coordinator.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    7,259
    The Packers will continue their staff overhaul under new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine by hiring former Bowling Green safeties coach Ryan Downard, likely as a defensive quality control coach, according to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Twitter links). Downard was an assistant under Pettine in Cleveland before heading to BGSU, so there is a level of familiarity between the two. Downardís addition does not have an effect on the status of incumbent cornerbacks coach Darren Perry, per Silverstein. Meanwhile, La Canfora (via Twitter) has clarified Jason SimmonsĎ role change with Green Bay, noting that heís been moved to secondary coach.
    Another spot filled on the defensive coaching staff

    RIP Gene Wilder

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,771
    I donít know if anyone had a chance to watch/listen to the coaching press conferences yesterday, but Iím excited for the new hires. Philbin is just a genuinely good dude, so I hope he succeeds just due to that. But he mentioned how he thinks he has more perspective now on what mccarthys job all entails, so he thinks he can be an even better coordinator now that he knows more of what mike does.

    And Iím very excited about pettine. Seems like a very smart guy and doesnít seem arrogant or a ďmy way or the highwayĒ type of coach. He seems very open to input from his assistants and willing to adjust to different defenses to fit different skill sets.

    Also exited that McCarthy is really taking this opportunity to start fresh as well. He said he and the offensive staff are starting from scratch and rebuilding the playbook. Heís basically treating this like year 1 all over again. I think well obviously see very similar concepts, but we may have a fresher playbook too.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    12,427
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I donít know if anyone had a chance to watch/listen to the coaching press conferences yesterday, but Iím excited for the new hires. Philbin is just a genuinely good dude, so I hope he succeeds just due to that. But he mentioned how he thinks he has more perspective now on what mccarthys job all entails, so he thinks he can be an even better coordinator now that he knows more of what mike does.

    And Iím very excited about pettine. Seems like a very smart guy and doesnít seem arrogant or a ďmy way or the highwayĒ type of coach. He seems very open to input from his assistants and willing to adjust to different defenses to fit different skill sets.

    Also exited that McCarthy is really taking this opportunity to start fresh as well. He said he and the offensive staff are starting from scratch and rebuilding the playbook. Heís basically treating this like year 1 all over again. I think well obviously see very similar concepts, but we may have a fresher playbook too.
    I did. I enjoyed them as well. MM seems to have been humbled, which is good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,771
    I think the mike and ted relationship was a lot more strained than I realized. There was that rumor like 2 years ago that mike was pissed that ted never signing FAs, but thatís about as much as weíd hear. I think moving on from ted has reinvigorated a lot of the org.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,771
    All in all Iím excited to see what happens. Iím hoping pettine can put guys in positions to win and I hope we can infuse some athelticism into this team. Last year we definitely added some athletes, as king and jones are both very athletic. I just hope we continue to do that on both offense and defense.

    Donít get me wrong, all nfl players are physical freaks, but we have very few guys who are crazy good athletes on both sides of the ball. It would be interesting to add a couple of those guys to the mix.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-25-2018 at 12:24 PM.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    All in all Iím excited to see what happens. Iím hoping pettine can put guys in positions to win and I hope we can infuse some athelticism into this team. Last year we definitely added some athletes, as king and jones are both very athletic. I just hope we continue to do that on both offense and defense.

    Donít get me wrong, all nfl players are physical freaks, but we have very few guys who are crazy good athletes on both sides of the ball. It would be interesting to add a couple of those guys to the mix.
    I am excited too. Pettine really seems like a solid DC. The defense could be just a couple players from really changing the landscape. As long as 12 is healthy I am not too entirely worried about the offense but the new regime is building exciting possibilities. Can't wait till March.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •