Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    MM making a last ditch effort to save his job. Hopefully all these moves bring out the best in him.
    I hope so, cuz Iím convinced most OCs in the league could have had the success Mcarthy has in his situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    See your thinking of McAdoo as a HC not as an OC. Again I think it will be Joe Philbin coming back as OC, but McAdoo will do just fine as well despite the likely fan objections. I would really be interested to see if they can get Philbin back as OC and McAdoo ad QB coach again.
    I haven't liked our offense for quite some time. Whether it has been McCarthy calling the shots or anyone else. McAdoo runs a pretty similar style which makes sense considering they are pretty much cut from the same cloth. Which also makes sense why he is strong in the running for hire. But I don't agree with it whatsoever.

The more answers McCarthy gives in this press conference, the less enthused I am about any of this.

- He still will be calling all the offense plays.
    - He generally wants to be more a part of internal roster decisions.

Get ready for Ball, McAdoo, and some internal guy at DC like Perry.

STATUS QUO

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I haven't liked our offense for quite some time. Whether it has been McCarthy calling the shots or anyone else. McAdoo runs a pretty similar style which makes sense considering they are pretty much cut from the same cloth. Which also makes sense why he is strong in the running for hire. But I don't agree with it whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    The more answers McCarthy gives in this press conference, the less enthused I am about any of this.

- He still will be calling all the offense plays.
    - He generally wants to be more a part of internal roster decisions.

Get ready for Ball, McAdoo, and some internal guy at DC like Perry.

STATUS QUO

You kind of answered it right here, it doesn't really matter who the OC is for the Packers as this is McCarthy's offense, but someone like Philbin who I really think should be the guy, but the offense flowed well when Joe's was around which means there were likely times where Joe stepped and an Mike listened. You can hate McAdoo all you want, but I think the same thing would go as it would for Philbin. Both guys Aaron Rodgers loves working with.

Now on your second point, Ball, McAdoo, Perry I'm not sure that's all that bad either. I know someone else mentioned it, but if Ball is not the one primarily making football decisions it's not a bad choice.

I know a lot of people hate the concept of hiring within, but the issue for Caper's defense was not always the scheme. He was unwilling to adapt. What worked 10 years ago doesn't work. His scheme didn't change with the varying level of talent. His scheme worked great when he had two difference makers in Woodson and Matthews, plus a number of other stout defensive players in Tramon Williams, Nick Collins, Sam Shields. Not to mention he would not make changes in the game either. He was set in his ways. The scheme was not the overall primary issue, we can look around the league and see Caper's products with success IE Vic Fangio. The difference is adaptability. If Moss, Perry, or Witt is the new DC and carries a similar scheme, but can adapt to the modern NFL not the worst thing in the world. The skelton for this defense is there you have a stout front 3 in Lowry, Clark, and Daniels. Assuming Burnett is brought back solid safties in Ha Ha, Burnett, and Jones. When healthy the OLB position lacks a third guy. ILB, Blake Martinez is rising up. Corners needs improvement, but some serviceable pieces.

Source tells @SportingNews that @Packers safeties coach Darren Perry is front runner to become Green Bay's new defensive coordinator. Perry interviews for the job Saturday.
    Sound's like Perry is the front runner for the DC job.

Seems to be a lot of Buzz that MM doesn't want Ball as GM, but Murphy DGAF what MM wants. If McCarthy goes I wouldn't even mind Philbin as HC. As long as you have a strong DC to pair with him it could be a good thing. We need something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    Seems to be a lot of Buzz that MM doesn't want Ball as GM, but Murphy DGAF what MM wants. If McCarthy goes I wouldn't even mind Philbin as HC. As long as you have a strong DC to pair with him it could be a good thing. We need something fresh.
    I would be pretty solidly against Philbin as he never actually ran the offense here, he was more of an offensive advisor. Not saying he couldn't do the job, but I would want to see some one who is more experianced. Joe's only case would be the fact he's worked with Rodgers before. However, I don't think losing McCarthy is in the immediate best interest of this team.

I'm kind of in the opposite boat. I prefer someone new and fresh over someone with years of experience. I think the NFL is changing. Analytics are everywhere. Seems like most of the top coaches in the league are young and fairly inexperienced (outside of BB).

I like the concept of an offensive genius as a head coach but spending money and resources to build the defense. I think we have to assume that the combination of Rodgers and a good offensive coach would make up for player shortcomings. Only have so much $$$ to hand out.

I'm kind of in the opposite boat. I prefer someone new and fresh over someone with years of experience. I think the NFL is changing. Analytics are everywhere. Seems like most of the top coaches in the league are young and fairly inexperienced (outside of BB).

I like the concept of an offensive genius as a head coach but spending money and resources to build the defense. I think we have to assume that the combination of Rodgers and a good offensive coach would make up for player shortcomings. Only have so much $$$ to hand out.
    I don't know if I would agree with that notion. Some of these "fresh start" coaches are going south. I would consider the top oaches to be Belichick, McCarthy, Carroll, Reid, Tomlin, Payton, Harbaugh, newer to the job guys Zimmer, Pederson, and moving up the charts would be McVay and McDermott. I mean very few of these guys would be considered young or having minimal experience. I frankly don't see an abundance of coaches which significantly improve our situation. The best route will be to let MM be here one more year and use this year for the GM to evaluate.

Personally I don't think a different coach would exactly derail us. Rodgers is still Rodgers at the end of the day. It would be quite unprecedented though to see 2 of the winningest coaches in the last decade (McCarthy and Belichick) high tail from their organizations over creative differences.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I don't know if I would agree with that notion. Some of these "fresh start" coaches are going south. I would consider the top oaches to be Belichick, McCarthy, Carroll, Reid, Tomlin, Payton, Harbaugh, newer to the job guys Zimmer, Pederson, and moving up the charts would be McVay and McDermott. I mean very few of these guys would be considered young or having minimal experience. I frankly don't see an abundance of coaches which significantly improve our situation. The best route will be to let MM be here one more year and use this year for the GM to evaluate.
    Well Tomlin is very young. The main reason you don't see many younger guys on the list is because there aren't that many young coaches, and most of the young ones get jobs on terrible teams. Hard for me to consider McCarthy a great coach honestly, he has underachieved, and also say the same with Payton (who the Saints were about ready to get rid of).

I would consider the best coaches to be Belichick, Carroll, Reid, and Harbaugh. Those guys constantly win and in the case of Reid and Harbaugh have been doing it with subpar talent.

Sounds like the Packers had some interest in Teryl Austin, but naturally the Lions blocked the interview as he's still under contract with the team.

If we replace everyone we let go from within the organization i am not going to expect some huge improvement.

Well Tomlin is very young. The main reason you don't see many younger guys on the list is because there aren't that many young coaches, and most of the young ones get jobs on terrible teams. Hard for me to consider McCarthy a great coach honestly, he has underachieved, and also say the same with Payton (who the Saints were about ready to get rid of).

I would consider the best coaches to be Belichick, Carroll, Reid, and Harbaugh. Those guys constantly win and in the case of Reid and Harbaugh have been doing it with subpar talent.
    Carroll has won one super bowl. He has a bunch of injuries this year, but at the end of the day, he missed the playoffs with an mvp caliber qb. Reid has never won a ring. Harbaugh (assuming you mean John) has missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons. If you mean Jim, then itís the guy who left the 49ers org in pretty ugly shape and has been mildly successful in college.

No doubt belichek has earned the best coach in the nfl title. After that, I can see an argument for Mike Tomlin. But I donít know how you can say with complete confidence they anyone beyond that deserves to be unequivocally higher than McCarthy. Mike is comfortably in the 2nd tier of coaches, with BB essentially being alone in the top tier.

First hire is Jim Hostler at WR coach. Probably safe to say McCarthy isn't going anywhere despite the GM if he is beginning to set up a staff.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast