Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I will reiterate my point again, firing McCarthy makes ZERO sense. You don't implode a team after making the playoffs 8 straight seasons. The only realy knock on McCarthy that you can pin point on him was that he kept Capers too long. This was a team with very little depth and clearly relied on Aaron Rodgers. You don't fire a coach who has success with a franchise QB because said franchise QB was hurt. Despite the many knocks people have for Hundley he performed like a back up QB and kept them in relative contention for a while.

Again, who are you going to hire? McDaniel not only runs a system which is contrary to what is in place and if you wonder why I say this look back at previous comment, but he's been a failed head coach he was 11-17, but if people are going to knock McCarthy for relying on Rodgers success, then the same needs to be said about McDaniels who's only success has been with Tom Brady and under the leadership of elite coaches Bill Belichick (NE) and Nick Saban (Mich St.).

They would need to find a coach which runs a West Coast or modified West Coast, and while many teams run either a west coast or modified west coast, how many are better than McCarthy? There is no need to implode the coaching staff when this team is a couple tweaks away from contending again. Again where are we going to go? Harbaugh and hope you can buy him away from Michigan? Joing the Gruden circus?

Thompson's move was likely more because of not wanting to front office talent, and a bit of change of direction. Capers was a move that was overdue. The two biggest issues for this team were lack of depth behind for the most part quality starters and the defense. Both essentially are addressed by these moves. I have said it many times, if things don't change under the new DC and the new GM wants their guy then next season move on.
    Agree with this. If this was last season, a guy like Kyle Shannahan would have made sense. But there is no one that makes sense to me right now. I'm not going to fire MM to get Pat Shurmur. And I want no part in hiring Jim Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I will reiterate my point again, firing McCarthy makes ZERO sense. You don't implode a team after making the playoffs 8 straight seasons. The only realy knock on McCarthy that you can pin point on him was that he kept Capers too long. This was a team with very little depth and clearly relied on Aaron Rodgers. You don't fire a coach who has success with a franchise QB because said franchise QB was hurt. Despite the many knocks people have for Hundley he performed like a back up QB and kept them in relative contention for a while.

They would need to find a coach which runs a West Coast or modified West Coast, and while many teams run either a west coast or modified west coast, how many are better than McCarthy? There is no need to implode the coaching staff when this team is a couple tweaks away from contending again. Again where are we going to go? Harbaugh and hope you can buy him away from Michigan? Joing the Gruden circus?

Thompson's move was likely more because of not wanting to front office talent, and a bit of change of direction. Capers was a move that was overdue. The two biggest issues for this team were lack of depth behind for the most part quality starters and the defense. Both essentially are addressed by these moves. I have said it many times, if things don't change under the new DC and the new GM wants their guy then next season move on.
    Per PFT, the TT stepping down came from the board of directors based on his "public image" and his "inability to focus". It will be interesting where this goes from here.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Other than Evans no thanks on any of em.
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    Per PFT, the TT stepping down came from the board of directors based on his "public image" and his "inability to focus". It will be interesting where this goes from here.
    The reports can say all they and and the Packers can say all they want, but the fact they have lost Schneider, Dorsey, and McKenzie walk away and have success. Now they have a new trio who are younger and could have a potential higher ceiling they know in the back of their head if they couldn't promote these men they would be walking as well. The biggest challenge on this GM search is not so much who to promote, but how do you promote the right guy and not lose the other two. I would argue "the TT stepping down came from the board of directors based on his "public image" and his "inability to focus". only amplified the footsteps of them walking away and the need for this.

Some reports have Ball as the top candidate, some have Wolf, and others have Gutenkust. All three will be moving up, but also capable of performing the job.

I'm weary of hiring Russ Ball. Only because I would imagine Wolf and Gutenkust would move somewhere else immediately and Highsmith probably in a couple years. That is a lot of young talent to see leave the organization.

I guess I don't know why we are so weary to let go of some of our young office guys? They are going to move on anyways and quite frankly what have they really done for us up to this point? Wolf and Gutenkust probably fit us better but it sounds like the inside track is lining up for Ball. Ball is an office guy and not a football guy. I don't know where exactly that leaves us. Maybe he is likely to spend more in FA and not rely so heavily on the draft?

I’m not saying ball should be the guy. But here’s the argument for him. The key to being a quality gm isn’t necessarily being a great drafter. And being a quality talent evaluator isn’t a guarantee for success. Look at Dorsey. He was run out of KC because he was impossible to work for. Look for scot mcclolaugh from Washington. He’s widely regarded as one of the best talent evaluators in all of football. But he can never hold down a gm job.

GMs can come from any part of the organization. The key is to be a good manager of people and be able and willing to hire the correct staff and trust that staff. If ball hires a guys like highsmith or gutenkust or wolf to run his drafts and trusts/empowers them to build a draft in his vision of his team, he can be very successful. And he’s a cap wizard who should help us avoid cap hell. That can be a good GM. GM is no different than any executive of any major company. He or she doesnt need to be good at sales, marketing, finance and all of that. But they need to recognize where their shortcomings are, and hire and empower quality people that are strong in those areas.

That being said, I would be a little surprised if ball got the GM title. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets an additional title in the restructuring, but not the GM title. And, this may be a little unfair to him, but part of that is because ball is sort of a non traditional gm candidate, he’s probably less likely to get offers elsewhere. If we think wolf, gutenkust and ball are our 3 top executives, you can probably name wolf or gutenkust the gm and ball like a director of football operations or something like that, and only lose one of them. If ball is named gm, you probably risk losing wolf and gutenkust.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    Mark Murphy said today in his presser that this report is false. He said there are 45 members of the board and the board doesn't make those kinds of decisions. This decision was made by Murphy and Thompson himself.

and to be honest I believe what Murphy said. public image and inability to focus? that is a bunch of crap. Look at Belicheck that guy is horrible when it comes to public image but, they put up perennial winners. Thompson was not a media darling and that was well known but, that doesn't mean he didn't do his job and do it good.

RIP Gene Wilder

Alonzo Highsmith signed on with the Browns so, we know he won't be getting the GM position lol

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Mark Murphy said today in his presser that this report is false. He said there are 45 members of the board and the board doesn't make those kinds of decisions. This decision was made by Murphy and Thompson himself.

and to be honest I believe what Murphy said. public image and inability to focus? that is a bunch of crap. Look at Belicheck that guy is horrible when it comes to public image but, they put up perennial winners. Thompson was not a media darling and that was well known but, that doesn't mean he didn't do his job and do it good.
    I buy that a lot quicker than the other reports. It was simply time, and they have the in house options to fill the role, and if TT stayed they likely lose two of the three candidates. This is how Thompson should go out, like Murphy said "history will reflect well on TT's tenure." It was the perfect timing to make the change, and now he can fade of into the wind on his own terms as an advisor.

Alonzo Highsmith signed on with the Browns so, we know he won't be getting the GM position lol
    Oh darn, they completly foiled the Packers plans, first Dorsey, now Highsmith. In all seriousness, Highsmith as a GM was a long shot as he was still lower than Wolf, Gutenkust, and Ball on the totempoll. Best of luck to him in the NFL's perrennial rebuild maybe him and Dorsey can turn them around.

I thought highsmith had a chance at a promotion here if ball got the job and wolf and gutenkust left, but that would all seem like a long shot. Tough to blame him for jumping ship from probsbly 4th in command to 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I thought highsmith had a chance at a promotion here if ball got the job and wolf and gutenkust left, but that would all seem like a long shot. Tough to blame him for jumping ship from probsbly 4th in command to 2nd.
    I think Gutenkust will be GM.

Of course Murphy is going to say that. Why would he acknowledge that report as true?

I am not sure how Belicheck and Ted Thompson are even similar in comparison here? Pretty sure it is perceived that Thompson healthwise isn't right. Whether that is an early sign of Alzheimers or something else I am not sure. But it doesn't look good any time he is in front of the media.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast