Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Kind of a silly stat really. They were a championship offense. They also had the 32 second ranked defense and at the time set the all-time worst passing defense records. The cowboys were also 8 and 8 for 3 years straight so there weren't many losing seasons either.
    Romo and Dez were really good together but with no defense they had no chance at the Super Bowl most of those years.
    Come on they had chances. Rodgers won a championship with the 29th or 30th ranked defense that season. There were times in his very good 14 year career where Romo could have made a big play at the right moment to extend the season, one play and one game at a time.

Believe me, over time Romo will be seen as one of the best QB's this franchise and NFL as a whole has seen that couldn't win a Super Bowl. Romo was the captain of the offensive ship and did enough to be a Super Bowl winning QB. It was the team around him that wasn't as good especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Defense ultimately wins you Super Bowls. An average offence along with a strong superior defense wins Super Bowls. Issue is we had an elite offence for years but management and coaches could not put together the defense to support it.

It happens, but Romo is going to be a legend and Jerry has no one to blame but himself for not giving him a chance to secure a Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Daboyz View Post
    Believe me, over time Romo will be seen as one of the best QB's this franchise and NFL as a whole has seen that couldn't win a Super Bowl. Romo was the captain of the offensive ship and did enough to be a Super Bowl winning QB. It was the team around him that wasn't as good especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Defense ultimately wins you Super Bowls. An average offence along with a strong superior defense wins Super Bowls. Issue is we had an elite offence for years but management and coaches could not put together the defense to support it.

It happens, but Romo is going to be a legend and Jerry has no one to blame but himself for not giving him a chance to secure a Super Bowl.
    Thank you. I can't stand all the Romo hate. He was the 2nd greatest QB in the Cowboys history behind Staubach. (And before all the bashing begins, Aikman was a QB in a system)

Quote Originally Posted by Daboyz View Post

I agree with all of this. Although I still think it was the right decision to move on from Romo due to age and injuries and the inability to stay on the field he should be remembered as an all-time great cowboy.

I wish he would have came back and played that year. I think we would have went further in the playoffs than we did, maybe not winning the Superbowl but beating the Pack.

LOL - Dak played better in the GB playoff game than Romo did in any of his playoff appearances. Romo was an outstanding QB for a decade but the revisionist history here that the poor guy had no chance is getting beyond absurd. He did not play exceptional in 07 against the Giants and he did drop the snap against Seattle the year before. To boot there were also a number of win and your in games where he crapped the bed at inopportune times after playing a mostly stellar game. He had chances and just didn't quite get it done. Organizational failures (09 draft) and his own personal big moment hiccups - either way no championship appearances. The two aren't mutually exclusive - Yes Jerry failed Tony et al by not building around him from 2009 through 2012 but Tony also could have done just a bit more in a few high leverage moments. And no Defense doesn't necessarily win championships unless you have a generational type defense such as the 2000 Ravens, 86 Bears etc. In the modern NFL era offensive deviation from the norm has clearly won most of the SBs. A 2 sigma offense with an average defense can easily win you a championship. If Dak plays a decade or more and never gets past the 2nd round then it will be in a similar boat as poor Tony. On another note glad to see Tony doing so well as an analyst. Almost everyone including Cowboy haters admit he is absolutely great in his new career. I bet Witten will be fantastic also.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    LOL - Dak played better in the GB playoff game than Romo did in any of his playoff appearances. Romo was an outstanding QB for a decade but the revisionist history here that the poor guy had no chance is getting beyond absurd. He did not play exceptional in 07 against the Giants and he did drop the snap against Seattle the year before. To boot there were also a number of win and your in games where he crapped the bed at inopportune times after playing a mostly stellar game. He had chances and just didn't quite get it done. Organizational failures (09 draft) and his own personal big moment hiccups - either way no championship appearances. The two aren't mutually exclusive - Yes Jerry failed Tony et al by not building around him from 2009 through 2012 but Tony also could have done just a bit more in a few high leverage moments. And no Defense doesn't necessarily win championships unless you have a generational type defense such as the 2000 Ravens, 86 Bears etc. In the modern NFL era offensive deviation from the norm has clearly won most of the SBs. A 2 sigma offense with an average defense can easily win you a championship. If Dak plays a decade or more and never gets past the 2nd round then it will be in a similar boat as poor Tony. On another note glad to see Tony doing so well as an analyst. Almost everyone including Cowboy haters admit he is absolutely great in his new career. I bet Witten will be fantastic also.
    What revisionist history??? Don't think I heard anyone say that Romo and Dez are going to the HOF or anything. Romo is absolutely a top 3 cowboy QB of all-time for one of the greatest franchises. Not winning a super bowl doesn't diminish everything he did.
    Sure he made mistakes but his teams weren't perfect. What if Patrick Crayton doesn't drop that pass against the giants? What if the Dez catch counted? He also had some bad luck.
    I think most people here have Romo rated properly.

Yes I put him top regular season QB of all time for Cowboys and top 3 talent wise. I agree he was fantastic and it could be just random bad luck that he didn't make it. Bottom line business. You either win in the playoffs or you don't. He is certainly winning in retirement and happy for him. Romo could go down as the Chris Paul of the NFL. Excellent team general for over a decade but never make it to a conference final. The revisionist history is that Romo always played on teams with no chance. The seasons 06, 07, 08, 14, 15 teams were good enough to make runs but didn't. Certainly not all Romo fault but it is what it is whether injury or otherwise. I am done with this now and turning my attention to the future. Sorry for upsetting team-Romo on this site. I have no choice at this point but to be team Dak at least for this season. Lets see what the kid does with the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Yes I put him top regular season QB of all time for Cowboys and top 3 talent wise. I agree he was fantastic and it could be just random bad luck that he didn't make it. Bottom line business. You either win in the playoffs or you don't. He is certainly winning in retirement and happy for him. Romo could go down as the Chris Paul of the NFL. Excellent team general for over a decade but never make it to a conference final. The revisionist history is that Romo always played on teams with no chance. The seasons 06, 07, 08, 14, 15 teams were good enough to make runs but didn't. Certainly not all Romo fault but it is what it is whether injury or otherwise. I am done with this now and turning my attention to the future. Sorry for upsetting team-Romo on this site. I have no choice at this point but to be team Dak at least for this season. Lets see what the kid does with the opportunity.
    No worries, I agree with a lot your saying. I like to think I'm Romo neutral. lol

I am a backer of the current QB led Cowboys with Dak Prescott. This season will be telling since he should have a consistent running game behind the leagues best line that got better this off season. The biggest change that should help Dak out the most is the exclusion of Dez and Witten from the team. No more pressure to have to get the ball to them. He can spread the ball out without a worry of someone getting in his face on the sidelines. This works to his potential. He can scramble more and not be a pocket passer, with the receivers he has at his disposal he should be able to find an open man.

This was Romo's game in early years of his success. Ability to scramble and find the open receiver. But most times it was Witten and Dez. They both lost a step or two since Prescott came on and weren't the same. But still expected the ball which in my eyes hindered the offence.

Zach Martin just agreed to an 84 million dollar extension.

David irving suspended

Time to move on from him. The performance isn't worth the distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Time to move on from him. The performance isn't worth the distractions.
    No point. Hes only got one more year left. Play it out. If anything this maybe makes it possible to keep him for cheap now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

Interesting that there was buzz out of the OTAs that the new receiver coach was teaching guys like Beasley how to run routes and explaining new options in the route tree. Gives me hope that there will be some creativity to our Offensive game planning this year. Agree with the sentiment that lets see what we can get out of Irving this year and then move on. Likely too much of a risk to invest any big cash into going forward

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast