Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    I see you follow Chris Kouffman as well

Derwin James or Roqoan have to be the pick. I would love to add something to the offense in the first like Nelson but the talent on defense is too crazy to pass up that early. Both of those guys have some flaws but they're the elite talents that the NFL is looking for now.
    Yea did see he was talking about that, he even showed on average teams only had a front 6.

Phillips isn't good enough to start at NT

wont be hard to get speed on D. Smith would simply replace Kiko which isn't good enough for me. I want a starter at a place where their isn't one especially when its a position that's harder to fil

the S that should play at the line if we get one is Watts

doing so allows you to get 2 starters. one at DE. if you don't get a DE in the first you wont be getting one
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 01-05-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Yea did see he was talking about that, he even showed on average teams only had a front 6.
    We desperately need to catch up with the rest of the NFL and move to this mind set. Since I fell asleep during the Bills game I can't say how much I saw him on the field, but I noticed Aikens out on the field a lot with Jones and McDonald in the exact way that Armando talked about. So at least they've noticed the problem and are working towards addressing it.

I know this was being discussed a bit earlier last week, but I just happen to have read the Tannenbaum quote when asked about keeping Landry next year. “Philosophically we want to draft, develop and keep as many of our own as possible. So we’ll see what happens with Jarvis and a few other noteworthy free agents. In a perfect world we’d keep them all, but there is a salary cap.” (Tannenbaum)
    If I had to guess, I would think the Dolphins plan to move on from Landry. I know that sounds crazy to anybody who sees Landry as the heartbeat of this team (I do not), but IMO, when you are asked a question you do not want to answer, you dodge it. Notice how Tannenbaum generalizes to talking about the big picture with "as many of our own as possible" and "In a perfect world we'd like to keep them all, but...". If they were really planning on perusing Landry, I think they would be defending his actions a little more from the Bills game. Not that there is a defense for that, but they might be saying how he is a fiery player and you don't want that type of thing happening but you take it with all of the positives he provides...", or something to that effect. You know, the kind of media crap that they often spew regardless of what is true or not. Instead, they said his actions were an "embarrassment" (Gase), and "Philosophically...we'll see...other players...like to keep them all...salary cap".

Philosophically. When Mike Tannenbaum becomes a philosopher, I think he is dodging a question. Incidentally it reminds me of a certain coach morphing into a physicist and even saying he conducted multiple experiments the week he was questioned on deflating footballs.
    Another possible theory might be that they are trying to blow this up a bit to get a little leverage to have Landry for a bit less money. But if that were the case they could have tried harder to sign him after last season if they wanted that and I doubt they would crap on him in such a personal way to try to get him for less.

As always, I could be completely wrong. This is just what I am thinking after observing what the coach and GM are saying. What say you?
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 01-06-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    I know this was being discussed a bit earlier last week, but I just happen to have read the Tannenbaum quote when asked about keeping Landry next year. “Philosophically we want to draft, develop and keep as many of our own as possible. So we’ll see what happens with Jarvis and a few other noteworthy free agents. In a perfect world we’d keep them all, but there is a salary cap.” (Tannenbaum)
    If I had to guess, I would think the Dolphins plan to move on from Landry. I know that sounds crazy to anybody who sees Landry as the heartbeat of this team (I do not), but IMO, when you are asked a question you do not want to answer, you dodge it. Notice how Tannenbaum generalizes to talking about the big picture with "as many of our own as possible" and "In a perfect world we'd like to keep them all, but...". If they were really planning on perusing Landry, I think they would be defending his actions a little more from the Bills game. Not that there is a defense for that, but they might be saying how he is a fiery player and you don't want that type of thing happening but you take it with all of the positives he provides...", or something to that effect. You know, the kind of media crap that they often spew regardless of what is true or not. Instead, they said his actions were an "embarrassment" (Gase), and "Philosophically...we'll see...other players...like to keep them all...salary cap".

Philosophically. When Mike Tannenbaum becomes a philosopher, I think he is dodging a question. Incidentally it reminds me of a certain coach morphing into a physicist and even saying he conducted multiple experiments the week he was questioned on deflating footballs.
    Another possible theory might be that they are trying to blow this up a bit to get a little leverage to have Landry for a bit less money. But if that were the case they could have tried harder to sign him after last season if they wanted that and I doubt they would crap on him in such a personal way to try to get him for less.

As always, I could be completely wrong. This is just what I am thinking after observing what the coach and GM are saying. What say you?
    I honestly think they'll non-exclusive franchise tag him, and take the chance on someone wanting to give up a couple 1st rd picks for him. This will let him gauge his market, and allow the Phins to match any offer, or take the draft compensation. And if he accepts the tag, we will pay him a little under $16M for 2018, and allow us to extend him if need be. We allowed Stills to explore his options last year, and it worked in our favor.

I've been seeing a lot of talk about 3-4 QBs' being taken in the first 10 picks. Imagine what we could get if a QB hungry team wants to get to #11 for whats left between Mayfield, Jackson and Allen? We haven't realistically won a draft day trade in a long time. Imagine getting BUF two 1st rd picks for #11?

Its not going to be a boring off-season for us, that's for sure.

Not a single team in the league is giving two 1st for Landry, many teams have used the Non-Exclusive tag on great players and never once did anyone try and trade for them.

If anything a transition may be used so we can see if someone offers him a deal, and if so we can sign him for that deal or just let him go.

I agree no team will give 2 first round picks for Landry. What offering the transition tag may do is create friction between the Dolphins and Landry.

I doubt we will get two first round picks at the 11 spot. I think QB hungry teams will likely be jumping ahead of 11 to get their QB.

switched it up

2018 Mock

R1 Arden Key DE/LB LSU
    4-3 or 3-4 going back to my guy. perfect for wide 9 and would be a monster OLB in a 3-4 and my top LB as well so more value. would be opposite Wake in a 4-3. would be Wake, McMillan, Kiko, Key in a 3-4 with Harris backing Wake

R2. Luke Falk QB Washington State
    would be solid backup to Tannehill with potential to replace

R2. Equanimeous St Brown WR Notre Dame (pick received by trading DVP)
    currently my #1 WR

R3. Bo Scarbrough RB Alabama
    I really tried to picture us waiting on RB and I just don't see it

R4-7 OL

FA
    2 OL guys
    Kenny Vaccaro - you guys want a S at the line and its what Kenny specializes at
    Troy Niklas
    Demetrius Harris (via trade)

and of course resign Landry

I gave us some speed on Offense and Defense

I know Nelson, Derwin and Smith are favorites for R1 but all likely gone. keep in mind 2 months ago Smith wasn't even considered a 1st rounder and this LB position in the draft is said to not be good so it scares me that he is suddenly a 1st rounder and if part of why he is rising is because nobody else is left. also he would be replacing Kiko. I don't actually think we get rid of Kiko. Nelson I understand. Derwin I love but its just a deep S class and I filled it in FA
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 01-07-2018 at 11:16 AM.

I wouldn't give 2 first round picks for Landry but I would give one

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    I honestly think they'll non-exclusive franchise tag him, and take the chance on someone wanting to give up a couple 1st rd picks for him. This will let him gauge his market, and allow the Phins to match any offer, or take the draft compensation. And if he accepts the tag, we will pay him a little under $16M for 2018, and allow us to extend him if need be. We allowed Stills to explore his options last year, and it worked in our favor.

I've been seeing a lot of talk about 3-4 QBs' being taken in the first 10 picks. Imagine what we could get if a QB hungry team wants to get to #11 for whats left between Mayfield, Jackson and Allen? We haven't realistically won a draft day trade in a long time. Imagine getting BUF two 1st rd picks for #11?

Its not going to be a boring off-season for us, that's for sure.
    Thanks Celt, although I have to agree with the others. Nobody is going to give 2 1sts for Landry. Maybe one like TCDerek said.
    Although the frank comments made by Gase about Landry being an embarrassment the other day don't make me think they are trying to make him more attractive to other teams. The more I think about it the less I am sure of what they plan to do with him. I just hope they have a plan because he is attractive to some teams for sure, so we need to find a way to get something in return if / when he leaves.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 01-07-2018 at 12:55 PM.

But that's the beauty of the non-exclusive franchise tag . . . you are basically paying him $15.5-15.8M for one year IF you can't come to an agreement. If someone elects to try and offer him a contract, it can either be matched, or not and you get draft compensation. I get its a long shot, but the Phins have nothing to lose.

Remember what happened with Charles Clay and his transition tag? BUF offered him a huge contract which MIA could not meet. So we lost Clay for nothing. The transition tag on a guy like Landry is worthless because a team with a ton of cap space can offer a front loaded contract to screw the Phins.

I personally think a deal gets done in the $13M/yr range, so I'm not too worried.

I'm not sure where everyone else lies, But I personally love the potential of Jesse Davis at RT. I think he takes over for James, and Tunsil also gets better in 2018.

Resign:
    Landry (I would place the non-exclusive franchise on him though)
    Hayes (best all around DE we had by far)
    Steen (showed some promise in 2016, but hurt this year. should be cheap and knows our system)
    Nate Allen (was solid before getting hurt. Good depth guy. should be cheap)
    Fasano (if he doesn't retire, I would bring him back on a 1 yr deal)

Restructure:
    Tannehill (I am a Tanny supporter and want him as our starting QB. Still need to draft back-up)
    Suh (He will be a Phin until he retires, not worried about the future of his contract)

Release:
    Timmons
    Thomas
    James

Sign:
    OG Andrew Norwell ( my top FA choice if CAR doesn't resign/franchise him), OG Justin Pugh or OL DJ Fluker (Pugh is underrated and still young. I think NYG will give him a boatload though. Fluker was hurt, but has some much potential at OG)
    *TE Jimmy Graham (If we don't go big on Norwell. We wanted him before, and I think we go hard after him again. It would be nice to have a legit threat at TE.)

We are not as far off as some people think to be a consistent playoff contender. Tannehill is so damn underrated by some of our fans, its to a point of being ridiculous. He's going to come back and we will be in the playoffs in 2018. Book it. We need one FA signing on the OL, and we need to draft speed on defense.

So the Bears went with KC's OC Nagy as HC. If he cleans house and lets Vic Fangio go (or if Vic does not get a HC gig), do you think Gase goes after him? I think he'd be a better DC than Burke, although I still like Burke alot.

Imagine John Fox and Vic Fangio joining the Phins in some capacity? We'd have a really great coaching staff then.

They want Fangio back, plus a few other teams like the Packers also have interest.

Back for my yearly Mock Draft/Offseason. This year more than ever will depend on what the team does in Free Agency. If Landry goes then WR becomes a necessity. For now I'll operate on the assumption that he does return.

1: Roquan Smith, LB - Steps in right away as the playmaking LB we've seen to be laking for years. He, Raekwon, and Kiko should be a real solid group all relatively young.

2: Drew Lock, QB - Still hasn't declared for the draft so this could be for nothing but I love this kid's arm talent. He's probably 2 years away from being able to start which we have the luxury of letting him sit and learn.

3: Jaylen Samuels, TE/FB - Watched every game this kid played the last 4 years, flat out stud when the ball is in his hands. He reminds me so much of Charles Clay in his versatility. He can line up at RB, FB, TE, or in the slot.

4: Tyrell Crosby, OG/OT - Might be optimistic, i've seen him in the late 2nd/ early 3rd range but this guy is really good. Does have some injury history but could be the future LG.

4: Darren Carrington, WR - With Parker and Carroo both struggling, we'll need to take a WR regardless of what happens to Landry. Kid has some off the field issues but he should be a starting caliber WR in the NFL.

Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast