Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
    It really seems that they're working Tbaum out of the scene. Grier said after the draft that they had to tell him no multiple times about trading around this year and a lot of the moves this offseason just didnt feel like him. I have a feeling that if the season goes poorly that Gase will try and kick him out and gain more power.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    It really seems that they're working Tbaum out of the scene. Grier said after the draft that they had to tell him no multiple times about trading around this year and a lot of the moves this offseason just didnt feel like him. I have a feeling that if the season goes poorly that Gase will try and kick him out and gain more power.
    I could see that being a plan...

IMO, the Phins will battle all year but still end up with a top 10 draft pick...

They'll keep Tannenbumm all the way through and when the season ends he's gone... Blamed for the previous seasons woes...

Gase gets majority decision making for the 19' draft...

Then in 19'/20' the Phins make the playoffs and Gase looks like a genius in the making...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Our last couple drafts have been pretty solid I think so Iím not sure why people think there is a problem....this draft again looks good......we will see but I think this is just a bunch of noise

^^^^The drafts have been great. It's honestly part of the reason I'm so optimistic about the team because even though we've added some band-aid players here and there, we've legitimately drafted quality players and have a great core of young players. We just need more of those players to take that next step and go from good players to studs at their positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    I could see that being a plan...

IMO, the Phins will battle all year but still end up with a top 10 draft pick...

They'll keep Tannenbumm all the way through and when the season ends he's gone... Blamed for the previous seasons woes...

Gase gets majority decision making for the 19' draft...

Then in 19'/20' the Phins make the playoffs and Gase looks like a genius in the making...
    Another thing I forgot to mention about this is that Ross mentioned tried putting his impact in the draft and said he was obviously a little worried about the choices this regime has made in recent years. I mean just a few years ago TBaum convinced Ross to give Suh that huge contract, and then told him this offseason "hey DT isn't that big of a deal so we don't need someone with that contract there." A lot of the stuff Ross seems mad about seems like stuff directly related to TBaum.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Rackhound View Post
    Our last couple drafts have been pretty solid I think so Iím not sure why people think there is a problem....this draft again looks good......we will see but I think this is just a bunch of noise
    10 players from the 16' and 17' drafts have become starters for the Phins... Partly because we had no choice and partly because they are solid players... with this years class, I definitely think 3 of the picks will be week 1 starters...

I also think bringing in vet interior OL is a good move... They'll help with the team atmosphere and obviously give Tannehill time to breathe... Hopefully it'll give Asiata more time to develop... I would think Tunsil and James are gonna be in Miami for the long run, so adding an interior OL in each draft or an undrafted OL with the hope that one sticks may be a good plan...

I still believe the Phins will be drafting top 10 in the 19' draft, so hopefully Gase gets his stud WR...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Some good info there. I'll tell you what matters to me...and this is just me I realize...
    1) I knew about the big TD game. To me it means nothing other than he (they) had a mismatch and the other team wasn't able to adjust. Reminds me of Tannehill's big game against Arizona years ago.
    2) Of course you need speed, but so many other things like vision, elusiveness, change of direction and running style matter more to me. So speed is an asset as you already know, but there are a lot of speedy guys who have done nothing.
    3) The ability to catch is my favorite thing about him, especially in this offense. I think if he contributes this year it is going to be mostly by catching short passes and hopefully busting a few for long gains (but hopefully not all screens if you can hear me Gase).
    4) Being the most productive in one game may seem like something I wouldn't care about after my post on your first point above, but this one actually matters to me. I don't know how they divide the playing time but if it is fairly equal and he just outdid everyone at the Senior Bowl, that is a really good sign. Was he good on the ground as well as in the passing game, or how did that work out? Either way, doing that well against that level of competition is good to hear about. How do they sub? Like he wasn't just in against the second stringers was he? Do they rotate through the game? Anyway, thanks for passing that along.
    5) But like I said about speed, it's great and all, especially in today's NFL, so I do want it on this team, but a back can have speed and not turn out as you know. I do understand you are just saying speed is one (more) positive aspect about him and it is.
    6) Much like speed IMO. Lots of "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" players have come through. Hopefully he is more the player that showed up at the Senior Bowl though.

Thanks very much for that info, especially about the SB. I'm curious now about how they subbed and who he was beating and how. I may have to go look at Senior Bowl vids. Running upright is a big "no no" for me although if you can still produce, who cares? Earl Campbell was the great exception to that rule. He ran so upright, yet players still could not bring him down. It was strange to watch really.
    I get that the big TD game didn't necessarily mean much. I was just making the point that you can't say that he wasn't productive without defining what that means. In some ways, he was crazy productive. But his overall numbers last year were down. Again, I don't know all of the details as to why.

And I get that there are lots of fast backs, but most aren't 6'3" 230 pounds with 4.3 speed. That is rare. The knock on Ballage is that he has a tendency to run with too much finesse. That he's a big back that could run people over, but often tries to elude rather than destroy. When he didn't avoid contact in college, he crushed people, so I know he's capable. I believe that it's going to be more about refining his running style and thinking at the next level. Still though, if he has that kind of size/speed and is capable as both an elusive runner as well as a power back...and has the receiving abilities that he does, then that really is a good package IMO.

I also was more impressed with the Senior Bowl stuff. I now remember watching him. I remember thinking, "damn, this kid can run...he's by far one of the best talents on the North" (I was busy pulling for the South). I just didn't think about that again until reading those stats. He came in and wowed coaches and teammates alike; when he was surrounded with better talent (against better talent), he rose to the occasion and stood out amongst them. That's a good sign in my book.

I was just reading this new article about him and it was talking about how he loves studying RBs from different generations. One of the players that he has always fashioned himself after is Ronnie Brown. They are similar in size/speed, and Ronnie's style is what he tries to emulate on the field. As a Dolphin fan, I can't be mad at that...loved me some Ronnie Brown. What I love about this situation is that he will have the opportunity to learn behind Gore. That whole "Tarzan" line should become moot once he sees what a legit power back looks like. I feel that Ballage is in a perfect situation to learn and become successful. Another thing I like is his attitude. He's not coming in saying that he's going to take the World by storm. He's here saying that he can't wait to learn all that he can and begin improving in every possible way. The desire to be great is HUGE...it means that you are willing and able to put in the work to change those things that are a hindrance to your future success. I understand tempering your expectations, but I still think that we got a steal in the 4th with Ballage...now we just have to wait a handful of months to begin to find out.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ar...f-954a70c17db2

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    I get that the big TD game didn't necessarily mean much. I was just making the point that you can't say that he wasn't productive without defining what that means. In some ways, he was crazy productive. But his overall numbers last year were down. Again, I don't know all of the details as to why.

And I get that there are lots of fast backs, but most aren't 6'3" 230 pounds with 4.3 speed. That is rare. The knock on Ballage is that he has a tendency to run with too much finesse. That he's a big back that could run people over, but often tries to elude rather than destroy. When he didn't avoid contact in college, he crushed people, so I know he's capable. I believe that it's going to be more about refining his running style and thinking at the next level. Still though, if he has that kind of size/speed and is capable as both an elusive runner as well as a power back...and has the receiving abilities that he does, then that really is a good package IMO.

I also was more impressed with the Senior Bowl stuff. I now remember watching him. I remember thinking, "damn, this kid can run...he's by far one of the best talents on the North" (I was busy pulling for the South). I just didn't think about that again until reading those stats. He came in and wowed coaches and teammates alike; when he was surrounded with better talent (against better talent), he rose to the occasion and stood out amongst them. That's a good sign in my book.

I was just reading this new article about him and it was talking about how he loves studying RBs from different generations. One of the players that he has always fashioned himself after is Ronnie Brown. They are similar in size/speed, and Ronnie's style is what he tries to emulate on the field. As a Dolphin fan, I can't be mad at that...loved me some Ronnie Brown. What I love about this situation is that he will have the opportunity to learn behind Gore. That whole "Tarzan" line should become moot once he sees what a legit power back looks like. I feel that Ballage is in a perfect situation to learn and become successful. Another thing I like is his attitude. He's not coming in saying that he's going to take the World by storm. He's here saying that he can't wait to learn all that he can and begin improving in every possible way. The desire to be great is HUGE...it means that you are willing and able to put in the work to change those things that are a hindrance to your future success. I understand tempering your expectations, but I still think that we got a steal in the 4th with Ballage...now we just have to wait a handful of months to begin to find out.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ar...f-954a70c17db2
    Yes I knew you were just adding that big game as one part of the overall picture. Sometimes on boards people look for something you say and try to isolate it and focus on it to try to prove you wrong...and bicker about it. You can probably see that I'm not into that at all. Maybe I have grown up over the years but it is just as likely that I have just become lazy in such matters.

I had read about Ballage's production just after the draft (I believe it was about his final 2 years, but I could be wrong on that) and it just didn't look at all as impressive as his measurables. Didn't he have issues with a new head coach who came in his final year, or am I confusing him with someone else? Either way, when I read about his production something seemed off to me. Yes, plenty of running people over when it was unavoidable and in the secondary on a highlight reel I saw, but some guys just don't crave contact. If that is his issue, that's a red flag for me, especially at RB. I'm not saying he is like Lamar Gordon, but Lamar Gordon comes to mind when I think about disappointments who don't like contact. You think he has the tools but you could see how he actually accelerated to the line, then slowed down and kind of even curled up IIRC as he went into the pile! WTF? In the NFL? I had never seen that before, at least not so blatantly. Crazy. I think he had injury issues and probably tried to avoid getting hurt each snap. Anyway, I'm not saying that's Ballage, it's just that Gordon comes to mind when I think of a back who mysteriously under produces (Jane).

If Ballage is studying former backs, or studying anything, that is a very good sign though. They all say they can't wait to come in and learn before they begin their careers. Very few don't say that now. I think they are taught that by either college coaches or NFL staff once drafted, probably because creating extra pressure only makes the toughest year of most careers even tougher. Plus, the vets will be tougher on a big mouth rookie picked late, I would bet. But if he really means it and is studying backs, he must love the game and that matters a lot, especially, as you already mentioned, when you can learn at the feet of a great and tough back like Gore. Funny he talked about Ronnie Brown. When I mentioned Earl Campbell in my previous post I actually thought of Brown as well. He never became what I hoped but I always pulled for him too. Too bad he got hurt in '07 because he was finally being used more like he should have been IMO. Should have been catching more passes, which would have taken some of the wear and tear off of him. I think he was leading the AFC in yards from scrimmage when he got hurt and even a week or 2 after he was out for the season. He still led the horrible 07 Dolphins for at least a month later I think. Ugh, let's not go there! Again, whenever Ballage can get the hang of the passing game I'd love to see him used that way.

To me, a guy who generally produces well but has his biggest games when it matters most and when he is up against better competition it is a good sign. But when a guy is inconsistent and plays his best games when he is up against the best (or realizes this is his last chance to impress scouts if he wants to play in the NFL) it is a negative. A few years ago I would have teased through the numbers, who he played against each game and some video if I could get it, for those final 2 years but those days are gone. I'll just wait and see like you said. I guess I'm being lazy in 2 ways now!
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-19-2018 at 07:57 PM.

So I broke down and looked at his individual game stats for his last two seasons. It looks to me that the quality of the team overall dipped pretty significantly in 2017. His average YPC against the better teams in the PAC-12 seemed to have gone up in 2017, but his overall production was distinctly less. ASU won a lot of games against their best competition in 2016, but Ballage's production was pretty meh. He seems to have been second on the depth chart to "Demario Richard". Not sure who that is, but he consistently outperformed and out-carried Ballage. It's hard to say though; they may have been an offense that preferred a different style back and Ballage was more of a 3rd-down type guy. If so, then that would explain the lack of production.

It's definitely not easy to get excited about his college production at ASU, but again, there are just so many factors that could go into that...very few of which necessarily have anything to do with the quality of player or his abilities. I believe that we'll get to see what we need to see when he's (likely) returning kicks. Either he's going to go out of his way to avoid contact, or he's going to lower the shoulder and put guys on their a##es. I feel like he should be fun to watch on kickoffs though.

Ballage was a bit inconsistent in college in terms of his vision and running style. He's a bigger back but there's tons of times where you want to see him lower his shoulder and he just won't. but then he follows it up with running over a LB or S. His vision also needs a lot of work. I keep saying that he's a very similar prospect to Drake when he came out. Guy who in college doesn't look like a natural runner, poor vision but athletic freak and is a natural catcher. I wouldn't be surprised if you see him mainly ride the bench this year, outside of injuries of course, and maybe get 2 or 3 big splash plays.

I see Ballage used primarily as a receiving RB... His height causes an advantage for defenses, he'll have the advantage as a receiving RB... I see Drake and Gore getting the main bulk of carries...

Reggie Lewis

Maybe we'll see him later in the season on 3rd downs coming in as a receiving back, as long as he can pick up the blitz in case they decide at the LOS that he needs to stay in. Feels like Gase is looking to put 4 or 5 receiving options out there including the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Maybe we'll see him later in the season on 3rd downs coming in as a receiving back, as long as he can pick up the blitz in case they decide at the LOS that he needs to stay in. Feels like Gase is looking to put 4 or 5 receiving options out there including the back.
    We know that Gase loves to throw to TEs and RBs...and anyone else eligible to catch the ball, so I could definitely see him on the field later in the game on 3rd down...depending on who makes the team (and if we carry 4 RBs). I know his size dictates that he should be able to block, but I have never heard anything about his blocking abilities...he'll probably have to clean that up to see the field more. He'll get most of his looks on special teams, but I feel like he'll be solid there. Barring injuries, I don't feel like we should "need" him much on offense during his rookie year. But you never know what's going to happen. Everyone is just one bad play away from becoming a starter.

He's at worst D-Will and we all know how much Gase loved him. I mean if it wasn't for Williams getting hurt we might not have seen Drake break out like this. But even with that said I don't think we'll see a lot of him this year is because its not like Drake or Gore can't catch. All 3 are specifically known for being a complete back so if Ballage is going to get snaps he'll need to show he can do one of the main 3 things better than Gore or Drake.

He's at worst D-Will and we all know how much Gase loved him. I mean if it wasn't for Williams getting hurt we might not have seen Drake break out like this. But even with that said I don't think we'll see a lot of him this year is because its not like Drake or Gore can't catch. All 3 are specifically known for being a complete back so if Ballage is going to get snaps he'll need to show he can do one of the main 3 things better than Gore or Drake.
    But we need one more guy to share some of the load. Gore is not young and Drake does have an injury history in college IIRC. Remember, he didn't handle the hwole season last year. I think it will take its toll on him if he is running a lot for 16 weeks. Same has to be said for Gore at this point. So if you want to be able to run the ball a lot, and I think we need to, it's good to have a third guy to chip in for even 5 carries a game. Plus, you need a guy who is ready because expecting your 2 backs to both play all 16 complete games is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    We know that Gase loves to throw to TEs and RBs...and anyone else eligible to catch the ball, so I could definitely see him on the field later in the game on 3rd down...depending on who makes the team (and if we carry 4 RBs). I know his size dictates that he should be able to block, but I have never heard anything about his blocking abilities...he'll probably have to clean that up to see the field more. He'll get most of his looks on special teams, but I feel like he'll be solid there. Barring injuries, I don't feel like we should "need" him much on offense during his rookie year. But you never know what's going to happen. Everyone is just one bad play away from becoming a starter.
    Daniel Thomas was big. He just couldn't figure out who to block and how to get into position. In the end they just had him go to a spot and told him to block whoever came through there, if they did. Most of it is identifying. Like you said, if Ballage is studying running backs from other eras, hopefully he studies his playbook as much and will be ready.

Damn, I didn't read or see any of that, about TBaum wanting to make trades and being talked out of it. He LOVES trades.

In regards to the draft, kind of see 2017-2018 drafts as Grier and Gase focused. TBaum still had a significant amount of influence in 2016 I feel like and Gase was just a first year HC.
    Picking Tunsil, Howard and Drake look like all good picks. Tunsil hasn't lived up to his hype but he's still solid and learning and was a consensus top pick so can't blame them and Howard is showing glimpses. Jakeem Grant is also finally showing promise but I feel like any and all good that came from this draft was pissed away with the trade up for Carroo. Massive failure. Jordan Lucas, Doughty and Duarte were all throw away picks also. As of now I see that draft as a B-. Last year is tough to judge mainly because Harris is playing in a loaded position and McMillan tore his ACL. Cordrea looks solid. Asiata is already 25 going on 26. He came out strong af. Now he needs the mental and speed aspect of the game, something you should already have by 26. Hence why he dropped to 5th of course. Vincent Taylor and Godchaux were very solid late picks. Isaiah Ford at WR... who? So this draft really depends how Harris and McMillan play this year. Could make this class an A or a C.

This draft class I really liked. Issue with the last few draft classes, I feel like we swing and miss on the early ones in the sense that, yea they're starters. But you expect more from so many 1st and 2nd rounders. Where are the pro-bowlers and studs and game changers in the last few drafts? So... we shall see. If this draft class goes off this year and we find out it was mainly Grier and TBaum's moves all look to have back fired and this offseason we try to get rid of more of his mistakes, by moving on from Andre Branch and maybe even Kiko and in 2019 offseason getting rid of TJ McDonald since we just drafted his replacement. What's the point of keeping that guy around. He overpays average players and lets pro-bowlers and game changers walk away. You can replace average players with cheap veterans and draft picks. Anyway. We shall see.
    BRUH

Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast