Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
    ^^^... Can't argue with that... I hope you are right...

I am looking forward to seeing what the OL can do...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

I agree, think this is the best offense, at least on paper, that we've had in a long time. Loooong time. I'm talking since Marino. This isn't to say that I think this is a great offense and will be a top 5 scoring unit. This is to say that we've consistently had black holes at TE. Our WR's have never had this kind of depth and speed. We have a still very solid Gore along with two electric promising RB's. And our O-Line is probably the best it's been in a decade as well. As long as RT doesn't get another knee injury, Gase really has no excuses if this team doesn't perform.

I just went back the past 15 years trying to remember my favorite Fins memories. Even the days when we had Chambers, Gadsden, Randy McMichael (our franchise leading TE in receiving ladies and gentlemen) and Ricky Williams (he was so sick, I loved him) which was 2003, we were still ranked in the low teens in terms of scoring and points per game. We had a SICK defense (top 5) and 2nd best rushing team and we still didn't make the playoffs that year, pretty ridiculous (Thanks Wannstedt!). Anyway. When I say this has the chance to be our best offense in 15-20 years, it's because we literally haven't had a top 10 offense in all those years. The bar is set really really low. I'm going through our roster of other seasons and I can't see another team that had this kind of depth at RB and WR. And Gesicki could very well be our best TE of the franchise, because the bar is so low it's basically on the floor. And let's not talk about QB's since Marino either haha... so it's very possible. I'm just hopeful because if I'm not hopeful, I'll just be depressed.
    BRUH

This offense is going to score points, I'm not worried at all about the offense unless one of our interior OL guys goes down with injury, then it gets a little scary. But the weapons on offense as a total are the best Tannehill has ever had. Don't be surprised if MIA gets in a couple shoot outs with other top offensive teams.

And our defense just added a ton of speed to it as well. We have speed up and down the defense . . . its going to be our run blocking that will determine just how effective our D can be.

All in all, I absolutely see the possibility of a WC spot this year. Every year a team comes out of nowhere to make a spot. It's us again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    ^^^... Can't argue with that... I hope you are right...

I am looking forward to seeing what the OL can do...
    That's not how this works. You're supposed to tell me I'm wrong dammit lol

One other thing to think about is if the offense can average 23 points or more then that will help the defense a ton. Remember how good the defense looked at the start of the season. If the offense just scores 20 points then we win against the Jets and Saints. Playing with a lead with all the pass rushers we have will make the defense look great again.

Gase is betting on himself this year. He said he doesn't need the big names, just good smart consistent players and he will make a good enough scheme to win. If you've ever believed Gase was a great playcaller then this is the year where he can show it.

Quote Originally Posted by LRizzle View Post
    I agree, think this is the best offense, at least on paper, that we've had in a long time. Loooong time. I'm talking since Marino. This isn't to say that I think this is a great offense and will be a top 5 scoring unit. This is to say that we've consistently had black holes at TE. Our WR's have never had this kind of depth and speed. We have a still very solid Gore along with two electric promising RB's. And our O-Line is probably the best it's been in a decade as well. As long as RT doesn't get another knee injury, Gase really has no excuses if this team doesn't perform.

I just went back the past 15 years trying to remember my favorite Fins memories. Even the days when we had Chambers, Gadsden, Randy McMichael (our franchise leading TE in receiving ladies and gentlemen) and Ricky Williams (he was so sick, I loved him) which was 2003, we were still ranked in the low teens in terms of scoring and points per game. We had a SICK defense (top 5) and 2nd best rushing team and we still didn't make the playoffs that year, pretty ridiculous (Thanks Wannstedt!). Anyway. When I say this has the chance to be our best offense in 15-20 years, it's because we literally haven't had a top 10 offense in all those years. The bar is set really really low. I'm going through our roster of other seasons and I can't see another team that had this kind of depth at RB and WR. And Gesicki could very well be our best TE of the franchise, because the bar is so low it's basically on the floor. And let's not talk about QB's since Marino either haha... so it's very possible. I'm just hopeful because if I'm not hopeful, I'll just be depressed.
    Okay I'll disagree with you on something at least! I don't see how we have 2 electric running backs. I agree Gore is still solid, like you said, until he finally does get injured or declines, which hopefully is not this year. I really like that addition. He has been durable and excellent for such a long time. Takes very good care of himself and trains like a freak. I also think we can call Drake electric after his emergence last year. Wish he had a more durable history, but sharing the load with Gore and hopefully the new guy will help. I don't think the new guy is electric until he hits the field. Let's see if he takes the league by storm or needs a year or 2, or maybe even becomes just another under producing "new guy" who has great measurables. Hope for scenario 1 or even scenario 2 at the slot he was picked would be fine.

Gesiki is my favorite pick of this draft. Couldn't agree more with the importance of the position. I wish he could block to help the rest of the offense (hide their intent) but that could be learned in a couple of years. Even as a pass catching role TE he may be the guy we have needed for many years. You really take your offense to another level when you have a seam busting TE.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-17-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Okay I'll disagree with you on something at least! I don't see how we have 2 electric running backs. I agree Gore is still solid, like you said, until he finally does get injured or declines, which hopefully is not this year. I really like that addition. He has been durable and excellent for such a long time. Takes very good care of himself and trains like a freak. I also think we can call Drake electric after his emergence last year. Wish he had a more durable history, but sharing the load with Gore and hopefully the new guy will help. I don't think the new guy is electric until he hits the field. Let's see if he takes the league by storm or needs a year or 2, or maybe even becomes just another under producing "new guy" who has great measurables. Hope for scenario 1 or even scenario 2 at the slot he was picked would be fine.

Gesiki is my favorite pick of this draft. Couldn't agree more with the importance of the position. I wish he could block to help the rest of the offense (hide their intent) but that could be learned in a couple of years. Even as a pass catching role TE he may be the guy we have needed for many years. You really take your offense to another level when you have a seam busting TE.
    Everything is hypothetical until they hit the field...it's all speculation. But Ballage has all of the tools to be really good at the next level. And though it's true that he'll likely be better in year two than his rookie year, it is also said that RB is arguably the easiest position to transition from college to the pros. That being the case, there shouldn't be a huge learning curve. Ballage was the third fastest RB at the combine...given his size, that's crazy impressive. Not saying that the skill is the same, but size/speed ratio, only Saquon Barkley was better. Ballage is a phenomenal receiver and has the size to block. That being the case, there's no reason why he can't see the field a decent amount his rookie year (though most will still be on special tems). Either way, our RB core is going to be solid next year; I have zero doubt.

As for the TE situation, Gase wants to run a lot of 2TE sets. That means that both Gesicki and Smythe will be on the field regularly. So there's no tipping your hand there. Obviously, Smythe is going to be there to mostly block and Gesicki mostly to receive...but they are expecting teams to play them exactly that way. Which to me, is why I think Smythe is going to be such a valuable weapon. He's a capable receiver and will probably be open more often than Gesicki. I could see Smythe slipping past defenders for consistent first down receptions. That's why I feel Gesicki will be the "big play" guy, but Smythe may ultimately be our more consistent overall producer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    Everything is hypothetical until they hit the field...it's all speculation. But Ballage has all of the tools to be really good at the next level. And though it's true that he'll likely be better in year two than his rookie year, it is also said that RB is arguably the easiest position to transition from college to the pros. That being the case, there shouldn't be a huge learning curve. Ballage was the third fastest RB at the combine...given his size, that's crazy impressive. Not saying that the skill is the same, but size/speed ratio, only Saquon Barkley was better. Ballage is a phenomenal receiver and has the size to block. That being the case, there's no reason why he can't see the field a decent amount his rookie year (though most will still be on special tems). Either way, our RB core is going to be solid next year; I have zero doubt.

As for the TE situation, Gase wants to run a lot of 2TE sets. That means that both Gesicki and Smythe will be on the field regularly. So there's no tipping your hand there. Obviously, Smythe is going to be there to mostly block and Gesicki mostly to receive...but they are expecting teams to play them exactly that way. Which to me, is why I think Smythe is going to be such a valuable weapon. He's a capable receiver and will probably be open more often than Gesicki. I could see Smythe slipping past defenders for consistent first down receptions. That's why I feel Gesicki will be the "big play" guy, but Smythe may ultimately be our more consistent overall producer.
    Yes obviously I agree that everything is hypothetical and that RB is easiest to transition to the NFL. I just question Ballard's production so, as someone here said yesterday if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, etc., it's a duck. So he is what he is until he proves otherwise.
    Good to hear Smythe is a decent pass catcher too. The problem with a pure pass catcher who cannot block at all is that even when you run they know you can't really run his way. Like I said he is my favorite pick and if he could block he would probably have gone in round 1 so you can't have everything. We're going to run behind Sitton a lot anyway IMO. As long as he holds up I think the offense will be decent, regardless of skill positions, because he allows us to run, even in short yardage situations when everyone is expecting it. If you look at our offense the past handful of years, we have been able to move the ball, but not in obvious situations. It's great to run for 4- 5 yards a clip, but when you are in 3rd and 1 or 3rd and inches with the game on the line, you need to be able to get that yard or half yard. Run behind Sitton and you probably can. Or if they start to gang up on him, you can then run elsewhere. He impacts this offense a ton IMO, especially when you get that his personality is such that he will insist, no, demand that all of the others in his unit follow his lead and play hard every snap. While I'm on this tangent, he may even be able to set the tone for players on the rest of the offense and maybe even the defense. Maybe a guy like Cam Wake gets a little more vocal and affects the defense in that way when he sees how it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Yes obviously I agree that everything is hypothetical and that RB is easiest to transition to the NFL. I just question Ballard's production so, as someone here said yesterday if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, etc., it's a duck. So he is what he is until he proves otherwise.
    Good to hear Smythe is a decent pass catcher too. The problem with a pure pass catcher who cannot block at all is that even when you run they know you can't really run his way. Like I said he is my favorite pick and if he could block he would probably have gone in round 1 so you can't have everything. We're going to run behind Sitton a lot anyway IMO. As long as he holds up I think the offense will be decent, regardless of skill positions, because he allows us to run, even in short yardage situations when everyone is expecting it. If you look at our offense the past handful of years, we have been able to move the ball, but not in obvious situations. It's great to run for 4- 5 yards a clip, but when you are in 3rd and 1 or 3rd and inches with the game on the line, you need to be able to get that yard or half yard. Run behind Sitton and you probably can. Or if they start to gang up on him, you can then run elsewhere. He impacts this offense a ton IMO, especially when you get that his personality is such that he will insist, no, demand that all of the others in his unit follow his lead and play hard every snap. While I'm on this tangent, he may even be able to set the tone for players on the rest of the offense and maybe even the defense. Maybe a guy like Cam Wake gets a little more vocal and affects the defense in that way when he sees how it is done.
    I mean I guess. I could also say that he had the single most production (TD wise) in the history of college football with 8 in a single game. So there's that. His overall production was good in 2016, but fell off a bit in 2017. But we don't know all of the details. Was he injured, did they have an awful line, new coordinator he didn't vibe with, etc...? I honestly don't know. But I can say that we know these things for sure:

1) Most TDs in a single game in NCAA history.
    2) 3rd fastest back at the combine; physically similar to Barkley (just taller).
    3) Very good receiver out of the backfield; extremely experienced/productive.
    4) Was the most productive RB at the Senior Bowl for the North squad.
    5) Clocked a 19.42 mph during the game (the highest of any RB there).
    6) Coming out of high school, he was ranked the #6 overall athlete in the country.

I do agree that he will need to clean up his game a bit, but it's hard to look at all of that and think that he doesn't have what it takes. He's a bit upright, but that speed and pop are legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRMos7zxOL4

And we'll see on Gesicki. He's a very willing and capable athlete...he just needs to learn and get the reps in blocking. It's true that you can't run towards him and expect much at this point, but he could physically be the most dominant receiving TE in football (potentially)...you can't always have it all ways.

That is also a main reason why the RB position has the shortest career length in the NFL... It comes down to durability... The best thing for the Phins is to spread out the touches among the RB's... IMO, Ajayi would have been the main RB for the Phins, but his attitude ran him out of Miami... Good thing they cut ties with him when they did...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

I mean I guess. I could also say that he had the single most production (TD wise) in the history of college football with 8 in a single game. So there's that. His overall production was good in 2016, but fell off a bit in 2017. But we don't know all of the details. Was he injured, did they have an awful line, new coordinator he didn't vibe with, etc...? I honestly don't know. But I can say that we know these things for sure:

1) Most TDs in a single game in NCAA history.
    2) 3rd fastest back at the combine; physically similar to Barkley (just taller).
    3) Very good receiver out of the backfield; extremely experienced/productive.
    4) Was the most productive RB at the Senior Bowl for the North squad.
    5) Clocked a 19.42 mph during the game (the highest of any RB there).
    6) Coming out of high school, he was ranked the #6 overall athlete in the country.

I do agree that he will need to clean up his game a bit, but it's hard to look at all of that and think that he doesn't have what it takes. He's a bit upright, but that speed and pop are legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRMos7zxOL4

And we'll see on Gesicki. He's a very willing and capable athlete...he just needs to learn and get the reps in blocking. It's true that you can't run towards him and expect much at this point, but he could physically be the most dominant receiving TE in football (potentially)...you can't always have it all ways.
    Some good info there. I'll tell you what matters to me...and this is just me I realize...
    1) I knew about the big TD game. To me it means nothing other than he (they) had a mismatch and the other team wasn't able to adjust. Reminds me of Tannehill's big game against Arizona years ago.
    2) Of course you need speed, but so many other things like vision, elusiveness, change of direction and running style matter more to me. So speed is an asset as you already know, but there are a lot of speedy guys who have done nothing.
    3) The ability to catch is my favorite thing about him, especially in this offense. I think if he contributes this year it is going to be mostly by catching short passes and hopefully busting a few for long gains (but hopefully not all screens if you can hear me Gase).
    4) Being the most productive in one game may seem like something I wouldn't care about after my post on your first point above, but this one actually matters to me. I don't know how they divide the playing time but if it is fairly equal and he just outdid everyone at the Senior Bowl, that is a really good sign. Was he good on the ground as well as in the passing game, or how did that work out? Either way, doing that well against that level of competition is good to hear about. How do they sub? Like he wasn't just in against the second stringers was he? Do they rotate through the game? Anyway, thanks for passing that along.
    5) But like I said about speed, it's great and all, especially in today's NFL, so I do want it on this team, but a back can have speed and not turn out as you know. I do understand you are just saying speed is one (more) positive aspect about him and it is.
    6) Much like speed IMO. Lots of "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" players have come through. Hopefully he is more the player that showed up at the Senior Bowl though.

Thanks very much for that info, especially about the SB. I'm curious now about how they subbed and who he was beating and how. I may have to go look at Senior Bowl vids. Running upright is a big "no no" for me although if you can still produce, who cares? Earl Campbell was the great exception to that rule. He ran so upright, yet players still could not bring him down. It was strange to watch really.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-18-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    That is also a main reason why the RB position has the shortest career length in the NFL... It comes down to durability... The best thing for the Phins is to spread out the touches among the RB's... IMO, Ajayi would have been the main RB for the Phins, but his attitude ran him out of Miami... Good thing they cut ties with him when they did...
    They just take so many hits so they rarely last. Gore is a huge exception. Most have about 3 good years, but Ajayi's issue was his knee, which they knew when they drafted him. Bone on bone even back then. That's why he fell to the 5th IIRC.

Ballage definitely looks like Tarzan and runs like Jane in the physicality aspect. But his showing at the senior bowl is very important, that's often an important glimpse into a players potential. In the case of a RB, they're playing with a better oline, better TE's, know they have to bring it against top competition and do their best and he showed really well. Everyone remember Kamara? Started at Alabama, moved around, went to UT, got out touched by some guy named Hurd. Dude is a freak. Kenyan Drake was sick for us but also played behind Derrick Henry so that's allowable haha. Scheme matters, O-Line matters, sometimes things take another year or two to click, sometimes the coach just doesn't like you but when you draft someone it's a clean slate. Lots of things go into it. I'm hopeful for Ballage and the offense as a whole.

It's very very clear Gase would much rather have 22 players that are 6-7's in talent and everyone did what they were supposed to do and how he wanted it, than have a few 4-5's mixed with 8-9's in talent but the 8-9's kind of did their own thing and didn't listen. The key now is getting those 6-7's and developing them into 8-9's that still follow Gase's lead and plays etc. Tannehill will be a 10 this year! Right Tunni?!
    BRUH

So Rotoworld put out an article about best to worst GM's. I fully expected Tannebaum to be last and was not disappointed. Although I gotta say, he does hit the nail on the head with his ripping of T-Bum. He IS pretty ******. Problem with Grier is we never know if it's T-Bum's fault or Grier's or Gase meddling or Ross imposing his well. It's often murky and that is a big reason I think for the Fins constant problems. Note - it's 26th because there are 6 new GM's that weren't ranked. Solid read below

26. Mike Tannenbaum, Dolphins

In the midst of a typically noisy and expensive free agency in 2017, Mike Tannenbaum signed S T.J. McDonald to a one-year, $1.34 million deal. It was a low-risk flier on a player facing an eight-game suspension, the sort of move a shrewd general manager might make. Except Tannenbaum then gave McDonald a four-year, $24 million extension before he ever even played a down for the Dolphins. Nothing had changed. McDonald’s suspension remained. Tannenbaum simply thought he deserved an extension for … a strong preseason? It’s unclear what exactly the thinking was. That’s been a standard theme for Tannenbaum, both in MIami and New York. McDonald’s new deal joined a rich tradition of dubious extensions Tannenbaum began with Andre Branch and Kiko Alonso. So the process was bad. What about the result? Zero games into McDonald’s Dolphins career? Extension. Eight games into McDonald’s Dolphins career? His replacement is drafted with the No. 11 overall pick.

Tannenbaum is a man without a plan, with the one constant being bad deals. Acquiring Alonso and Byron Maxwell. Signing Jermon Bushrod to play guard. Re-signing Jermon Bushrod to play guard. Replacing Olivier Vernon with Mario Williams. Surrendering 2017 third- and fourth-rounders to trade back into the third round for Leonte Carroo in 2016. Taking on Julius Thomas’ contract. Giving every last Albert Wilson a multi-year deal. This is just a sampling of Tannenbaum’s questionable moves, and says nothing of the Dolphins’ baffling tendency to avoid second contracts with homegrown players. Maybe Chris Grier would be a good general manager with Tannenbaum out of his way. Maybe coach Adam Gase is deserving of greater influence. Maybe meddlesome owner Stephen Ross makes all of this impossible. Maybe. What’s for certain is that Tannenbaum has made it clear he should not be leading an NFL front office."
    BRUH

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    That's not how this works. You're supposed to tell me I'm wrong dammit lol

One other thing to think about is if the offense can average 23 points or more then that will help the defense a ton. Remember how good the defense looked at the start of the season. If the offense just scores 20 points then we win against the Jets and Saints. Playing with a lead with all the pass rushers we have will make the defense look great again.

Gase is betting on himself this year. He said he doesn't need the big names, just good smart consistent players and he will make a good enough scheme to win. If you've ever believed Gase was a great playcaller then this is the year where he can show it.
    You're wrong...!!!

Reggie Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by LRizzle View Post
    So Rotoworld put out an article about best to worst GM's. I fully expected Tannebaum to be last and was not disappointed. Although I gotta say, he does hit the nail on the head with his ripping of T-Bum. He IS pretty ******. Problem with Grier is we never know if it's T-Bum's fault or Grier's or Gase meddling or Ross imposing his well. It's often murky and that is a big reason I think for the Fins constant problems. Note - it's 26th because there are 6 new GM's that weren't ranked. Solid read below

26. Mike Tannenbaum, Dolphins
    I think any knowledgeable Phins fan could have written a wayyy better article about Tannenbumm...

He must have some crazy videos of Ross to have lasted this long...

Reggie Lewis

Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast