Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LRizzle View Post
    Agreed Forever, so far the two drafts under Grier and Gase have been solid but obviously far too early to tell what will come of it all. I like the direction they're going also, for the most part. A few blemishes here and there... but I won't get into all of that. Looking forward!

So the Fins just traded for Akeem Spence for a conditional 7th rounder coming from the Lions after it's been noted our D-Line coach came from Detroit in the Matt Patricia purge. And his grades in PFF and his production were solid, so I have a hard time seeing him not making the team. But then I just saw this

Free agent DL Terrell McClain is visiting the Dolphins on Friday.
    McClain has made several visits since being released in April but is still looking for work following a disappointing one-year stop in Washington. Despite his lackluster performance last season, he would be an immediate help on the Dolphins' interior line. McClain would likely compete with Jordan Phillips, Davon Godchaux, and the recently acquired Akeem Spence at defensive tackle.

So that puts us with Taylor, Godchaux, Phillips and Akeem Spence at DT. William Hayes a DE/DT hybrid. Branch, Quinn, Wake, Harris at DE. Are we actually considering carrying 10 D-Line guys on the roster, think 8-9 is the norm right? Or perhaps we have a trade in the works for someone like Phillips for a conditional 7th in the works... or maybe Branch? <fingers crossed>
    I don't think there would be a trade in the works right now. But all of this talk should light a fire under Phillips' butt! He sees whats going on, if he doesn't step up this year, he's as good as gone. We need depth on the DL. We have no true 3 down DT on the team yet, and a rotation, plus injury depth, will be critical.

You need camp bodies, can't have your starting guys doing all the snaps and such. Just like how we claimed Bryce Petty, need a arm to throw passes. He isn't going to make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    You need camp bodies, can't have your starting guys doing all the snaps and such. Just like how we claimed Bryce Petty, need a arm to throw passes. He isn't going to make the team.
    A little off topic, and by no means do I expect Petty to make it, but I love this story and I think of it whenever I hear the terms "camp body / arm".
    We all know about Kurt Warner's crazy road to super stardom. Well, back when he was in camp with the Rams in 1998, his wife, Brenda, was in the bleachers watching to support him. She heard a couple of guys who were sitting in front of her talking about Kurt. One of them asked, "Who is that Warner guy?" The other said, "Camp arm". Brenda had no idea what "camp arm" meant so she asked Kurt after practice. Clearly it did not discourage him.
    Not sure , but I think that might have been from his "A Football Life" episode.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-04-2018 at 06:13 PM.

I have only been skimming lately but I didn't see it mentioned that we picked up Akeem Spence the other day from the Lions. A young DT. No star but he did look good late last year I believe. Anyway, there's your added DT. Does anyone knwo what draft pick we gave up from 2019?

There's another thread that is discussing this if you go check it out. It was for a conditional 7th. We also brought another DT (Terrell McClain) in for a visit after the trade for Spence. No word yet, but we may be adding another DT any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    There's another thread that is discussing this if you go check it out. It was for a conditional 7th. We also brought another DT (Terrell McClain) in for a visit after the trade for Spence. No word yet, but we may be adding another DT any day now.
    Thanks. Yes I heard about the McClain thing yesterday as well. Probably late to that party as well. I've been out of the loop.

For some reason, I think people are going to under-estimate this team, like in 2016, and we are going to fly under the radar and make a WC berth.

As long as Tannehill stays healthy, our offense is going to be drastically improved. Tanny has the best OL and TE situation he has ever had here, we have two RB's in Drake and Balladge that have speed to burn and can catch the ball, along with Gore who can also catch the ball. And we have great depth at WR. I'm pumped for this offense this year.

I love the speed we added to our defense this year and last year (Anthony trade). I think Anthony is starting along side MacMillan and Kiko. I wouldn't mind Anthony actually being our MLB, cause thats when he was his best with NO, but he may be better suited outside with us. Then you add the fact you can rotate TJ down low to be over 'coverage' LB in the nickel or dime defense and that adds even more speed. My concern is interior DL. I'm hoping that those guys step up in Suh absence, cause if not, we may have a terrible run defense.

All in all though, a WC berth is not out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    For some reason, I think people are going to under-estimate this team, like in 2016, and we are going to fly under the radar and make a WC berth.

As long as Tannehill stays healthy, our offense is going to be drastically improved. Tanny has the best OL and TE situation he has ever had here, we have two RB's in Drake and Balladge that have speed to burn and can catch the ball, along with Gore who can also catch the ball. And we have great depth at WR. I'm pumped for this offense this year.

I love the speed we added to our defense this year and last year (Anthony trade). I think Anthony is starting along side MacMillan and Kiko. I wouldn't mind Anthony actually being our MLB, cause thats when he was his best with NO, but he may be better suited outside with us. Then you add the fact you can rotate TJ down low to be over 'coverage' LB in the nickel or dime defense and that adds even more speed. My concern is interior DL. I'm hoping that those guys step up in Suh absence, cause if not, we may have a terrible run defense.

So it sounds like there aren't really any excuses left this year. But as I say that, I realize, this year's excuse will be that he was coming back from injury. All teams have some issues. Some more than others. But each year, there is a core group of QB's who will fluctuate, but still perform at a very high level despite the things that go wrong on a team. I long for the day we have one of those guys again.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post

I think you are absolutely right. As always, most of the media is saying that we are the worst team that has ever taken the field. We point out that we've filled so many holes with great talent and they say "but it's the Dolphins...worst team ever". It's beyond annoying. But having said that, it's going to push a lot of teams to look past us. Our strength of schedule is reasonable this year, and I believe that we have the talent to win a majority of our games. Maybe not a large majority, but enough to keep us close to that wildcard spot. Tanny's health is going to be the kicker on the season. We are good/deep enough in enough areas that we should be solid. Our run defense is going to be questionable, QB health a concern, and (to me), kicking quality could be an issue...which is what determines so many close games.

Either way, I feel that we have enough talent (the right talent) to mix and match where need be...to give us a quality team nearly top to bottom. Let the media keep downplaying this team all they want; I believe that we are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

My only worry is where the pass rush comes from if Wake ages. Probably some blitzes but you can get burned when you have to rely on that. You need a line that can apply pressure to beat the best teams. Our o-line automatically makes us better on offense. We can run the ball more and PA off of that. Sitton just makes that whole room better. He will insist they work harder than they ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    My only worry is where the pass rush comes from if Wake ages. Probably some blitzes but you can get burned when you have to rely on that. You need a line that can apply pressure to beat the best teams. Our o-line automatically makes us better on offense. We can run the ball more and PA off of that. Sitton just makes that whole room better. He will insist they work harder than they ever have.
    I think Harris will start to find his groove this year; he should give us some additional pass rush. Wake has a couple of seasons left in him and I could definitely see us drafting another end very high in the next draft. I foresee more blitzes from our LB/secondary this season. We have so many fast/capable LBs and DBs now, that we should be firing them off from everywhere. This defense (though probably not great against the run) should be exciting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    I think Harris will start to find his groove this year; he should give us some additional pass rush. Wake has a couple of seasons left in him and I could definitely see us drafting another end very high in the next draft. I foresee more blitzes from our LB/secondary this season. We have so many fast/capable LBs and DBs now, that we should be firing them off from everywhere. This defense (though probably not great against the run) should be exciting to watch.
    I agree. I think a full off-season of NFL training will help him physically. He's not going to bullrush anyone, but if he can just tweak his swim and spin moves, he should bounce back this year . . . and by bounce back, i'm saying 6-7 sacks. Wake is just not human, and he should get close to double digit sacks again this year. Quinn is going to light it up this year imo. I think he gets a pro-bowl nod for this year again, and he has somewhere between 12-13 sacks.

I can see them letting Minkah blitz a couple times a game, same with McCain from the slot. Basically, we have the flexibility to bring an extra rusher every play if need be, from multiple angles.

But I do agree that our front four has to get consistent pressure and collapse the pocket.

Harris was one of the most productive pass rushers in the NFL at the end of the season. He was was getting tons of pressure almost every game and that usually leads to massive jumps in sack numbers in the next year. He'll be fine. DE is always one of the hardest positions to get 1st year production and Harris is no exception. But he showed a lot and definitely looks like he'll take that next step this year.

The only problem I see with Harris is where to put him right now. I expect Quinn to be a starter and obviously Cam and Hayes will take the majority of the RDE snaps. We'll be able to do a lot of rotating and hopefully look like the Eagles pass rush, but say Cam retires next year, who is your pass rushing RDE? Do you move Quinn or Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Harris was one of the most productive pass rushers in the NFL at the end of the season. He was was getting tons of pressure almost every game and that usually leads to massive jumps in sack numbers in the next year. He'll be fine. DE is always one of the hardest positions to get 1st year production and Harris is no exception. But he showed a lot and definitely looks like he'll take that next step this year.

The only problem I see with Harris is where to put him right now. I expect Quinn to be a starter and obviously Cam and Hayes will take the majority of the RDE snaps. We'll be able to do a lot of rotating and hopefully look like the Eagles pass rush, but say Cam retires next year, who is your pass rushing RDE? Do you move Quinn or Harris?
    I would think it would be Quinn. And I think Quinn and Harris as bookends would be a decent pairing. You don't need two elite pass-rushers, but Quinn has been there (elite level play) before and no reason Harris cannot eventually get there. I just hope they both can do it in the same year, for multiple years lol.

Forgot about Quinn. He will help. Although I am still not excited about our front 4 generating pressure consistently. Better choose our blitzes wisely and mix it up through the season.

Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast