Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
    Let's put it this way, I doubt anyone would even fly out for a workout if they don't have the cap room to sign them.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Speaking about cap space, we have about 5M it seems (overthecap says 3.5M). I'm pretty sure these figures do not include rookies (cost us about 7M?) and draft class but it also doesn't include post-june 1 cuts. We should have about 8M left when all is said and done?

I don't understand how the Colts can have so much cap space and release Hankins and not sign someone like Dez Bryant and/or CJ Anderson. Maybe they still will, but doubt it since they drafted 2 WR's and 2 RB's. Anyway who cares about them.
    BRUH

Quote Originally Posted by LRizzle View Post

Speaking about cap space, we have about 5M it seems (overthecap says 3.5M). I'm pretty sure these figures do not include rookies (cost us about 7M?) and draft class but it also doesn't include post-june 1 cuts. We should have about 8M left when all is said and done?

I don't understand how the Colts can have so much cap space and release Hankins and not sign someone like Dez Bryant and/or CJ Anderson. Maybe they still will, but doubt it since they drafted 2 WR's and 2 RB's. Anyway who cares about them.
    Teams also like to save some money during the season in case they need to sign players because of injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Teams also like to save some money during the season in case they need to sign players because of injuries.
    I agree that we don't want to spend all of it, but I read today that we will have about 17 million come June 1st. If that's the case, then we definitely should be looking to drop at least 3 million for a decent DT. That will give us the vet depth we need to "replace" Suh, have money for our rookies/practice squad, and still have a bit left over for emergency.

The Colts are doing a rebuild. Theres no reason to add expensive vets.

So we have roughly have 3 mil right now which could easily get Bosley or Branch, but not Hankins who I would say at least wants 5. With June 1st we'll get the 17 mil from Suh but like you mentioned we'll have the class to sign which will be about 7 mil. So we'll have plenty of money to sign Hankins if hes still there, but you have to remember we still need money for injuries and carry over.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    The Colts are doing a rebuild. Theres no reason to add expensive vets.

So we have roughly have 3 mil right now which could easily get Bosley or Branch, but not Hankins who I would say at least wants 5. With June 1st we'll get the 17 mil from Suh but like you mentioned we'll have the class to sign which will be about 7 mil. So we'll have plenty of money to sign Hankins if hes still there, but you have to remember we still need money for injuries and carry over.
    LOL, that's exactly the point that I've getting at this whole time! Why do we need to "see if he's still there" (Hankins) on the 1st if the money is going to be there? If we know how much we are going to have to negotiate with, then why can't we get a deal going now? He's going to get all the money he wants before ever touching the field, so I don't see why we have to wait to put a contract on the table (and risk losing him if he's the player that we want) and pay him in a few weeks. I don't think he intends to spend his 6 million or whatever in the weeks leading up to June 1st; unless there's some crazy sale at Best Buy he needs to get in on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the players get paid some time during the week after game days?

I know that WE need money, but the Colts have 60M+ in cap space. I don't understand cutting Hankins. When you have a player like Luck, you need to be trying to win every single year. Just makes me think they don't think he'll be healthy this year yet again. Because if he is, you do better than this. If they had 10-20M in cap space I'd totally understand. Draft class, injuries, rolling over cap space. But over 60M?! I don't get it.

Hankins is probably looking for 7-8M and teams are offering who knows what. 3-4M one year deals? The longer he waits the more his price goes down I'm sure. At least that's what I hope. Really feel like Hankins is the missing piece for us. Maybe he's not a scheme fit for us and there's zero interest. Fins can be pretty stubborn about who they want.
    BRUH

I'm not sure that MIA is going to target a DT for post June signing. I think they are completely happy with a rotation of Hayes/Phillips/Godcheaux/Taylor. We as fans believe we need another DT in there for depth, but if MIA thinks that those four can start on the DL any given Sunday, then they are not going to sign someone like Hankins.

I would expect a CB to be signed more than a DT imo. Or if we do sign a DT, its going to be a vet, at close to vet minimum lol.

I am kind of happy with our DL right now. Wake, Quinn, a healthy Branch and Harris is a very solid rotation at DE, as is the above rotation at DT. One more DL for depth and I'd be happy, but those are our starters for sure. we're not signing someone to be a starter.

Besides, having Minkah and Baker come in to provide speed on blitzes, as well as possibly TJ playing in the box more (as nickel/dime LBer).

Get me cheap depth at CB, DT and LB and I'm happy. I don't need any starters, just injury fillers.

They may know more about Phillips' conditioning at this point than we do as well. If he has realized he is coming up to a contract year (2 more years on his rookie deal I think) and that getting in shape would probably be the biggest boost to his game as it might bring more consistency, then we have a very nice pair of young DT's starting, plus some rotation help. I can go into the season like this if I know Phillips has gotten serious. Might also have added to the decision of letting Suh go. I have not heard anything about this but just throwing the possibility out there.

I know that WE need money, but the Colts have 60M+ in cap space. I don't understand cutting Hankins. When you have a player like Luck, you need to be trying to win every single year. Just makes me think they don't think he'll be healthy this year yet again. Because if he is, you do better than this. If they had 10-20M in cap space I'd totally understand. Draft class, injuries, rolling over cap space. But over 60M?! I don't get it.

Hankins is probably looking for 7-8M and teams are offering who knows what. 3-4M one year deals? The longer he waits the more his price goes down I'm sure. At least that's what I hope. Really feel like Hankins is the missing piece for us. Maybe he's not a scheme fit for us and there's zero interest. Fins can be pretty stubborn about who they want.
    Colts cut Hankins over a poor schematic fit...not money. They have a new defensive coordinator and he wants to run a scheme that will nullify Hankins' effectiveness (at least this is what I read). I feel like Hankins is probably looking for that 7+ million mark, so he's probably too steep for us honestly. But there are run-stuffing vets still available that could come on the relative cheap. I think that's exactly what we should be working on as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    I'm not sure that MIA is going to target a DT for post June signing. I think they are completely happy with a rotation of Hayes/Phillips/Godcheaux/Taylor. We as fans believe we need another DT in there for depth, but if MIA thinks that those four can start on the DL any given Sunday, then they are not going to sign someone like Hankins.

I would expect a CB to be signed more than a DT imo. Or if we do sign a DT, its going to be a vet, at close to vet minimum lol.

I am kind of happy with our DL right now. Wake, Quinn, a healthy Branch and Harris is a very solid rotation at DE, as is the above rotation at DT. One more DL for depth and I'd be happy, but those are our starters for sure. we're not signing someone to be a starter.

Besides, having Minkah and Baker come in to provide speed on blitzes, as well as possibly TJ playing in the box more (as nickel/dime LBer).

Get me cheap depth at CB, DT and LB and I'm happy. I don't need any starters, just injury fillers.
    I agree that it will be a vet DT if we do bring someone in. The top DTs after Hankins are both considered to be relatively young, great run stuffers, and will come at a reasonable price. To me, that's EXACTLY what we should be investing in. Bromley and Pierre are the two highest rated that meet those criteria. Hankins would be great (if he is a scheme fit ultimately), but if we are looking for ballers on a budget, then I want to see either Bromley or Pierre in Miami next year. They are young enough and have enough upside, that we can keep them around if Phillips or another don't return. It just seems like the safe and reasonable approach to me...especially if they are only a few million per year.
    Last edited by Vegas_Phin1; 05-03-2018 at 06:49 AM.

There's also Frostee Rucker, Tony McDaniel and Karl Klug. There are solid options out there available to help us with depth if we choose to sign someone. Frostee received very solid marks for run stopping last year and even at 34 he played 600 snaps. You would think if we drop that more toward 400 he'd be even more productive and he only got paid 1M last year. Karl Klug is more of a 3-4 DE so not sure on fit. He was one of the better young DI players before rupturing his Achilles and having a solid year last year. You'd think he'd be even better this year. Anyway. In Grier/Tannebaum we trust (gulp).
    BRUH

There's also Frostee Rucker, Tony McDaniel and Karl Klug. There are solid options out there available to help us with depth if we choose to sign someone. Frostee received very solid marks for run stopping last year and even at 34 he played 600 snaps. You would think if we drop that more toward 400 he'd be even more productive and he only got paid 1M last year. Karl Klug is more of a 3-4 DE so not sure on fit. He was one of the better young DI players before rupturing his Achilles and having a solid year last year. You'd think he'd be even better this year. Anyway. In Grier/Tannebaum we trust (gulp).
    There are a handful of possible options out there. One-year (predominant run-stuffer) players for about a million, or even guys that may be worth investing in for a few seasons given a "prove-it year" (solid upside younger guys)...for a couple/few million. Either way, given our lack of experience and struggle against the run, I feel like it would be a worthy investment. I just think that we need to be doing everything that we can to at least slow down the running game. We should be even better against the pass next season, but possibly even worse against the run. A vet DT run-stuffer on the cheap could greatly help IMO.

Considering how last season turned out, I'm happy with the direction the Phins are going... Are they gonna get above .500...??? Probably not, but IMO the direction is looking good... Ross needs to have some patience...

17' draft was building the defense up knowing that fat was gonna be trimmed in the off-season...

18' draft keeps building on the D, sprinkled with some needed offensive spots at the TE position...

Gase is an offensive guy, but a team needs to be built around the D...

I'm loving the potential with the LB crew... Gonna be young, but IMO that's a good thing... Build it through the draft...

Drake will get his chance behind a line that I think will be productive... I love the Gore pick up...

Parker needs to finally be that guy...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Agreed Forever, so far the two drafts under Grier and Gase have been solid but obviously far too early to tell what will come of it all. I like the direction they're going also, for the most part. A few blemishes here and there... but I won't get into all of that. Looking forward!

So the Fins just traded for Akeem Spence for a conditional 7th rounder coming from the Lions after it's been noted our D-Line coach came from Detroit in the Matt Patricia purge. And his grades in PFF and his production were solid, so I have a hard time seeing him not making the team. But then I just saw this

Free agent DL Terrell McClain is visiting the Dolphins on Friday.
    McClain has made several visits since being released in April but is still looking for work following a disappointing one-year stop in Washington. Despite his lackluster performance last season, he would be an immediate help on the Dolphins' interior line. McClain would likely compete with Jordan Phillips, Davon Godchaux, and the recently acquired Akeem Spence at defensive tackle.

So that puts us with Taylor, Godchaux, Phillips and Akeem Spence at DT. William Hayes a DE/DT hybrid. Branch, Quinn, Wake, Harris at DE. Are we actually considering carrying 10 D-Line guys on the roster, think 8-9 is the norm right? Or perhaps we have a trade in the works for someone like Phillips for a conditional 7th in the works... or maybe Branch? <fingers crossed>
    BRUH

Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast