Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Giants hire Dave Gettleman to be GM

NewYorkGiants Giants Hire Dave Gettleman As GM
    Thoughts?

Think he might be the right guy for the job.

Good hire. I didn't know he spent most of his front office career with the Giants already. So this should have been an easy call.

This is a good move. But the big question is whether Eli Manning is staying, or are they starting over with one of the top two QBs in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    This is a good move. But the big question is whether Eli Manning is staying, or are they starting over with one of the top two QBs in the draft?
    The answer to both should be yes. While I disagree with the notion that a QB should sit his first year- rules are in place that makes it much easier for a QB to come in and start Day 1 now, compared to 20 years ago- it would be great for their choice of franchise QB to learn from Eli for a year.

He'll probably have immediate success and then you'll slowly start liking him a little less each year. His draft classes haven't aged well and most of our core team was here before he got here.

The biggest challenges facing him that he didn't face in Carolina is that he doesn't have certainty at QB and he'll have to find his own HC. It also doesn't help that he's ignored our OL problems most years knowing that Cam will make it work, so he'll need to fix that.

His pros: good bargain hunter (Ted Ginn, Kurt Coleman, Michael Oher, Andrew Norwell), won't overpay, and drafts BPA. Drafted players: Lotulilei, Short, CMC, Turner, Daryl Williams

His cons: Apparently hates offense, treats vet players poorly (Steve Smith, DeAngelo, Jordan Gross, Josh Norman), drafts BPA (which usually has stupid reasoning like size for WRs or his love of DL). Drafted players: KB, Kony Ealy, traded up to take Funchess, Butler and Shaq were unnecessary 1st rounders who don't contribute enough.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

It's alright, I guess. As a Eagle fan the Giants look like they made a good decision, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    The answer to both should be yes. While I disagree with the notion that a QB should sit his first year- rules are in place that makes it much easier for a QB to come in and start Day 1 now, compared to 20 years ago- it would be great for their choice of franchise QB to learn from Eli for a year.
    I think you are 100% correct.
    I would assume Eli will be the starting QB in 2018, with the #2 pick learning from him. Some of these guys do great starting right away but learning from a class act and good pro like Eli can only help.

Gettleman feels like a Giants type of GM pick, but I was hoping for someone completely new and a riskier choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    Josh Rosen seems like the ideal fit for New York all things considered.

New York has a large Jewish community, Rosen is Jewish. You can sell that. He can be like a Sandy Koufax type figure in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    Josh Rosen seems like the ideal fit for New York all things considered.

New York has a large Jewish community, Rosen is Jewish. You can sell that. He can be like a Sandy Koufax type figure in New York.
    I hope he will be better than fellow Jewish QB Jay Fiedler. He used to start practically every Dolphins game with a pick-6.