Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Kaeperick vs Garropolo: First 3 Starts Analysis

Bears: 16/23 233 yards 69.6 CMP% 93.3 QBR 133.1 Passer Rating Result: 32-7 Win
    Saints: 16/25 231 yards 64.0 CMP% 83.2 QBR 90.6 Passer Rating Result 31-21 Win
    Rams: 21/32 208 yards 65.6 CMP%(QBR unavailable)83.9 Passer Rating Result:13-16 OT Loss

Bears: 26/37 293 yards 70.3 CMP% 66.7 QBR 82.4 Passer Rating Result: 15-14 Win
    Texans: 20/33 334 yards 60.6 CMP% 67.6 QBR 92.2 Passer Rating Result 26-16 Win
    Titans: 31/43 381 yards 72.1 CMP% 89.5 QBR 106.8 Passer Rating Result: 25-23 Win

Admittedly I have not had a chance to watch Garropolo film prior to today, but the overwhielming optimism surrounding Garropolo has me curious, and cautious.

Now, I haven't taken the time to compare strength of opponents here, other than that, I'm not sure how context matters here and we can't simply isolate on-field production. I think the supporting cast is comparable. In 2012 our defense was barely emerging as elite, and right now I think our defense is more or less where it was in 2010 as far as talent and potential go, slightly lower considering we had Bowman and Willis. Either way, that's only a factor when we talk about results and time on the field imo.

In 2012, 3 games in, this forum (sans the crowd who was upset about Alex being benched) was ecstatic over Kaepernick's potential - we saw a kid who had all the physical tools, a cannon of an arm, and was a threat on the ground as well as in the air. We hadn't witnessed the falling-off-of-the-cliff that would result and ultimately be the lasting memory of CK7. Here, 3-4 games in, I see much, if not more of the same optimism, but how much is warranted and how much is jumping the gun here? 3 starts is 3 starts, so if it's enough of a sample size for one, it has to be as well for the other and vica-versa.

Ultimately my main questions are this:

How do we know it's not too soon to "believe" in Garropolo?
    Why is it easy to buy into Garropolo so early?
    What does he do better than - Kaepernick, Gabbert, Beathard, Smith, etc?
    Last edited by lol, please; 12-24-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Oh Jesus, really?

Better accuracy, better field vision, very fast release, moves better in the pocket to make a throw not just run it, shows better leadership skills on and off the field already. Basically, everything you want in a traditional QB, not just a guy who "might" develop those skills to add to scrambling.
    Last edited by RedandGold_35; 12-24-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Come on, man

It's obvious that you haven't actually watched Garoppolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    It's obvious that you haven't actually watched Garoppolo.
    I think he's either asking people to do his homework for him, or it's just some elaborate thing about him getting hyped about Kap, so he has to challenge this new hype.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I think he's either asking people to do his homework for him, or it's just some elaborate thing about him getting hyped about Kap, so he has to challenge this new hype.
    I think he's just scared to get excited about Garopplo, and he's assuming this high will come to end.

Personally, even though it has only been 5 games, I believe Jimmy is a Top 10 QB. I couldn't name 10 quarterbacks that I'd rather have. He just has that "it" factor and he is only going to get better. It will be fun to watch him with a legit #1 receiver.

First off this defense is nowhere near what Kap had. The difference between Jimmy and Kap is the supporting cast. Jimmy really is working miracles out there. Same coach. Same team. Went from terrible to now scoring 44 on the best D in the nfl.

Clements/Goldson/Smith/Spencer

Lawson/Spikes/Willis/Brooks

J Smith/Franklin/MacDonald

Each group is better than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    First off this defense is nowhere near what Kap had. The difference between Jimmy and Kap is the supporting cast. Jimmy really is working miracles out there. Same coach. Same team. Went from terrible to now scoring 44 on the best D in the nfl.
    Yeah, the Niners had an elite defense when Kaepernick took over. They also had a better offense, especially the offensive line, which was one of the better lines in the league at the time. Garoppolo has a terrible line, especially with Trent Brown (the best OL on the team) out.

But yeah guys, it's still 3 games vs 3 games, come on, context...what's that?

Kaep didnít ďreadĒ defenses. He threw ball 100mph every time. I donít see how you can compare the two.
    I honestly think the last time Iíve seen some competent quarterback play was Jeff Garcia. Even Alex Smith couldnít march down the field with 1 minute to score.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Maybe I didn't, but I thought I specifically said that I have not watched him other than the most recent game thus the questions lol

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Maybe I didn't, but I thought I specifically said that I have not watched him other than the most recent game thus the questions lol

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
    The question is fine, if we ignore the fact there are ways to watch alot of footage from games past, especially when he's like THE hot topic in football right now. Not to mention the multiple references/threads about Kap/hype/comparisons.

Just for the sake of this thread... imagine if Garoppolo had the O-Line, Crabtree, Davis, and Boldin...

Kap had a loaded team, and he was holding them back IMO. I remember numberous times watching and being like Crabtree is freaking open! The throw would be late, underthrown or overthrown. If Kap threw a good pass to Crabtree in the Superbowl we win. Same thing the following year. If he throws a better ball Sherman doesnt tip it.

Kap is an amazing athlete but he was not a QB by any stretch of the imagination. Jimmy is looking like he's an elite pocket passer with good mobility. It's just kind of comparing apples and oranges IMO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast