Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Sorry to hear it. Putting my dog down that I mentioned a few posts earlier was one of the toughest things I ever had to do. I loved that dog. I will never forget the date, 10/19/16, and I think about her pretty much everyday.

I got her when I was in was in a really tough time in my life and battling severe depression and was hospitalized for it. I was also incredibly lonely so I got a dog and she filled the emptiness that was in my life until I met my wife a year and a half later. The day I put her down, I got on the floor with her and held a chocolate pudding cup for her and let her eat it until it was bone dry. Then at the vet I gave her a chocolate bar. I figured it was her last meal, so she might as well have something that she could never enjoy before, and she loved it.

Once it was over I cried like a baby, and I don't think I have ever cried that hard before. I knew I was going to, but once she went down for her last breath I was just overcome with sadness that I didn't expect or could control. Luckily my wife was with me, I don't think I could have made it on my own. She had a chest made that has our dogs name on it and her date of birth/death. I put her collar in their and all her favorite toys and pillow and her box of ashes and all her pictures and a couple paw prints they made when they put her down. I took her dog tag off her collar and put it on my keychain that day, and will probably keep it on there forever.

I couldn't imagine not having a dog in my life, I love dogs, and if I could have a hundred of them I would. That last day is so damn heartbreaking though. I wouldn't trade it for all the joy and love you get all those other days though. Sorry to hear that you had to do that, but understand why you did.

Age old debate-Pit Bulls-yes or no

I feel tremendous sadness for my dog. She had a great life but she could have had many many more years. I have so many happy photos of her.

Yesterday I went to animal control and took one of the dogs for a walk. Id consider taking her home but my wife isnt ready for another dog. The past 18 months were stressful for her. Cant blame her - we were never 100% sure of her safety. She needs time.

This AM i went down to our pond. Weve been feeding a Canadian goose w a broken wing for almost a year. Hes usually shunned and chased off by the flocks that land here. Today I sat with him while he ate and walked with him back to the pond. We sat on the shore and watched the other geese paddle back and forth for a while. It was calming. I guess I have a thing for animals that are broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Sorry to hear it. Putting my dog down that I mentioned a few posts earlier was one of the toughest things I ever had to do. I loved that dog. I will never forget the date, 10/19/16, and I think about her pretty much everyday.

I got her when I was in was in a really tough time in my life and battling severe depression and was hospitalized for it. I was also incredibly lonely so I got a dog and she filled the emptiness that was in my life until I met my wife a year and a half later. The day I put her down, I got on the floor with her and held a chocolate pudding cup for her and let her eat it until it was bone dry. Then at the vet I gave her a chocolate bar. I figured it was her last meal, so she might as well have something that she could never enjoy before, and she loved it.

Once it was over I cried like a baby, and I don't think I have ever cried that hard before. I knew I was going to, but once she went down for her last breath I was just overcome with sadness that I didn't expect or could control. Luckily my wife was with me, I don't think I could have made it on my own. She had a chest made that has our dogs name on it and her date of birth/death. I put her collar in their and all her favorite toys and pillow and her box of ashes and all her pictures and a couple paw prints they made when they put her down. I took her dog tag off her collar and put it on my keychain that day, and will probably keep it on there forever.

I couldn't imagine not having a dog in my life, I love dogs, and if I could have a hundred of them I would. That last day is so damn heartbreaking though. I wouldn't trade it for all the joy and love you get all those other days though. Sorry to hear that you had to do that, but understand why you did.
    I know they are "just a dog" but it's really, really hard, especially when you get a dog in the circumstance you did (depression, she filled a void). The bolded reminds me of my Mom. My 3 siblings, and all of our partners, were there when my Mom took her last breath, and I don't think I have ever cried as hard as I did. The interesting thing was, it may have helped push forth a bond between the 4 of us that can't be broken. We are all super close, but hugging my brother and law, and my wife, right after, I am not sure I have ever felt so much support. 11/20/17. So my 11 year old boxer, who won't be here much longer, I just couldn't put him down the last few months. I can't lose him right after I lost my Mom. I am getting closer to ready, and he eats/drinks/poops/pees, but he is in pain. It is nearly time.

Dogs, are just dogs. But man, they become family. Which is why it drives me bat **** crazy when I see dogs living in a back yard, or when people don't take care of them. All dogs want is to be part of a family. That is literally it. They never have a bad day, or have an attitude. They just want to love, and be love. They are the most special pet you can have imo. Even when they misbehave as puppies and you want to kill them haha

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I feel tremendous sadness for my dog. She had a great life but she could have had many many more years. I have so many happy photos of her.

Yesterday I went to animal control and took one of the dogs for a walk. Id consider taking her home but my wife isnt ready for another dog. The past 18 months were stressful for her. Cant blame her - we were never 100% sure of her safety. She needs time.

This AM i went down to our pond. Weve been feeding a Canadian goose w a broken wing for almost a year. Hes usually shunned and chased off by the flocks that land here. Today I sat with him while he ate and walked with him back to the pond. We sat on the shore and watched the other geese paddle back and forth for a while. It was calming. I guess I have a thing for animals that are broken.

Knowing what you have said about your background, it makes sense that you gravitate to broken. You likely just want to help it. Not fix it, but help it become better on it's own. If that makes sense?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I know they are "just a dog" but it's really, really hard, especially when you get a dog in the circumstance you did (depression, she filled a void). The bolded reminds me of my Mom. My 3 siblings, and all of our partners, were there when my Mom took her last breath, and I don't think I have ever cried as hard as I did. The interesting thing was, it may have helped push forth a bond between the 4 of us that can't be broken. We are all super close, but hugging my brother and law, and my wife, right after, I am not sure I have ever felt so much support. 11/20/17. So my 11 year old boxer, who won't be here much longer, I just couldn't put him down the last few months. I can't lose him right after I lost my Mom. I am getting closer to ready, and he eats/drinks/poops/pees, but he is in pain. It is nearly time.

Dogs, are just dogs. But man, they become family. Which is why it drives me bat **** crazy when I see dogs living in a back yard, or when people don't take care of them. All dogs want is to be part of a family. That is literally it. They never have a bad day, or have an attitude. They just want to love, and be love. They are the most special pet you can have imo. Even when they misbehave as puppies and you want to kill them haha
    Sorry about your mom. I'm sure that was tough. Luckily I haven't lost anyone I am close to yet, which is another reason losing my dog was by far the toughest death I had to deal with. I have had a few friends pass away, but I wasn't real close to them. I lost my grandparents, but I wasn't real close to them either. My parents are still around. My dad is 79 though, and that is going to hit me hard, and I think about it a lot.

I don't have kids and I won't ever have any, so my pets are the closest I am going to get to that. I know it's not nearly the same thing, so I'm not trying to say it is. I'm just saying as far as loving and taking care of a life, animals is as close as I am going to get and probably another reason I get so attached and love my pets even more.

I don't blame you for waiting as long as you can. I might have waited too long with my dog. I don't know. She was still eating fine, but she had other issues. She had bad arthritis for the last few years of her life and we got everything we could for her to make it better. I had her on glucosamine tablets, got her massage therapy once a week and she was on medication. I never knew you could get dog prescriptions and pick them up at CVS like any other medications. It seemed weird to go thru their drive thru once a month to pick up a prescription for my dog, haha. She would sleep on our bed every night, and we would carry her up and down the stairs each night because she couldn't do them anymore.

Towards the end though she went downhill the last few months and had a stroke and was having trouble eating. She suffered dementia as well and would stand in the corner staring off into space. I thought I could get her to recover from the stroke, and she did somewhat, but I think it took everything she had out of her, and she kind of just checked out the last couple days of her life and I think she was done fighting. That is when I knew she was telling me it was time. I would have done anything for the dog and paid any amount of money. With the medications, therapy, vet visits and trying to get her to recover after her stroke, I probably spent 5-7 thousand dollars on her the last year of her life. I didn't care though.

I also hate when I see dogs abused or chained up. I used to be a meter reader and saw several dogs like that. It broke my heart. A lot of them were actually friendly too and probably didn't get much attention from their owners. I don't understand why people have dogs when they have no interaction with them at all. You aren't doing the dog any favors. I hate when I see all those poor dogs in the shelter and people dump them off because they moved or "their baby is allergic". I couldn't imagine giving away my pets.

I work for a major company and they kind of stress how they want us to donate part of our check to United Way. I never really wanted to because I hate donating my money when I don't know where it is going. Last year they changed it though so we can donate to any non profit organization in our area. I realized that I could donate it to our local shelter, so that's what I did and even upped the amount taken out because its something I believe in donating in and I know they need the money. Its a wonderful no kill shelter and I wish I could do more for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post

Nothing wrong with that. Animals like that have been abused or have had a rough life tend to end up being great pets because they are so thankful someone cares about them. That is if they can get over whatever their troubled past was.

It's nice that you went to a shelter. We have two dogs. One I got from a breeder, the other was from a shelter. My older dog was a husky, and I had to have another one because I love the breed so much. The second dog we got though was from a shelter and was about 8 months old when we got her. She was apparently abused as a puppy and was rescued from a kill shelter. She is such a sweet and loving dog and she loves people. I don't understand how she didn't have a good home before we got her.

Do you have any other pets? Maybe your wife would be more comfortable with a cat or something for awhile first. I know cats aren't for everyone, and dogs are better. Cats are definitely easier to take care of though. We have four, all from the shelter. Well, we just got two last week and they weren't at a shelter, yet. My wife has a friend that is a real estate agent and has a house on the market where the owners moved to China and left their two cats behind. The neighbor would feed them, but asked the real estate agent to take them to the shelter for them.

We weren't really looking for two more cats, but they are two 8 year old boys and I knew they would never get adopted, or at least the likelihood of both of them getting adopted together was very slim. We just took them in and they are very sweet and friendly. I'm not really a cat person, but I hated the idea of them spending the rest of their lives at a shelter when they didn't need to. I really hate people sometimes.

We have a cat my wife brought into the marriage. I worked so hard bringing the cat and dog together - incrementally. They worked it out although sometimes you got the impression the dog was stalking the cat.

The cat sometimes sleeps next to me im not a cat person tho. Dogs have been my best friends for my adult life until i met my wife. I got up somedays only bc they needed me. Im in a much better place nowadays. Life is fulfilling and good, but there is a huge gaping hole. My wife asked me to wait a month before looking for a dog. I need to respect her feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Sorry about your mom. I'm sure that was tough. Luckily I haven't lost anyone I am close to yet, which is another reason losing my dog was by far the toughest death I had to deal with. I have had a few friends pass away, but I wasn't real close to them. I lost my grandparents, but I wasn't real close to them either. My parents are still around. My dad is 79 though, and that is going to hit me hard, and I think about it a lot.

I don't have kids and I won't ever have any, so my pets are the closest I am going to get to that. I know it's not nearly the same thing, so I'm not trying to say it is. I'm just saying as far as loving and taking care of a life, animals is as close as I am going to get and probably another reason I get so attached and love my pets even more.

I don't blame you for waiting as long as you can. I might have waited too long with my dog. I don't know. She was still eating fine, but she had other issues. She had bad arthritis for the last few years of her life and we got everything we could for her to make it better. I had her on glucosamine tablets, got her massage therapy once a week and she was on medication. I never knew you could get dog prescriptions and pick them up at CVS like any other medications. It seemed weird to go thru their drive thru once a month to pick up a prescription for my dog, haha. She would sleep on our bed every night, and we would carry her up and down the stairs each night because she couldn't do them anymore.

Towards the end though she went downhill the last few months and had a stroke and was having trouble eating. She suffered dementia as well and would stand in the corner staring off into space. I thought I could get her to recover from the stroke, and she did somewhat, but I think it took everything she had out of her, and she kind of just checked out the last couple days of her life and I think she was done fighting. That is when I knew she was telling me it was time. I would have done anything for the dog and paid any amount of money. With the medications, therapy, vet visits and trying to get her to recover after her stroke, I probably spent 5-7 thousand dollars on her the last year of her life. I didn't care though.

I also hate when I see dogs abused or chained up. I used to be a meter reader and saw several dogs like that. It broke my heart. A lot of them were actually friendly too and probably didn't get much attention from their owners. I don't understand why people have dogs when they have no interaction with them at all. You aren't doing the dog any favors. I hate when I see all those poor dogs in the shelter and people dump them off because they moved or "their baby is allergic". I couldn't imagine giving away my pets.

I work for a major company and they kind of stress how they want us to donate part of our check to United Way. I never really wanted to because I hate donating my money when I don't know where it is going. Last year they changed it though so we can donate to any non profit organization in our area. I realized that I could donate it to our local shelter, so that's what I did and even upped the amount taken out because its something I believe in donating in and I know they need the money. Its a wonderful no kill shelter and I wish I could do more for them.
    my boxer started to have seizures around 11 months ago. Vet thinks it's a tumor on the brain, since it started so late. He takes medication (6 pills a day), and while I could go explore alternatives, with a 10 month old, I just can't justify it. Each one takes a toll, like you said with the stroke. Bleu walks along the wall, his balance is just gone now, and it's really sad the difference 1 year has made. If you don't have kids, dogs are even more like a kid to you, which I think is probably really normal. My realtor that we are working with said she went to grief counseling for her dog, and while I almost laughed, who I am to judge that...

we did get a dog from the shelter 3 months ago, he just turned 1, and is small-ish and mixed, so he will grow up with our daughter, which I think is awesome. I think every kid, if possible, should grow up with a dog haha

Age old debate-Pit Bulls-yes or no

Dogs can be amazing companions. In some ways they are better than people - and in other ways they are not.

I lived with a ****ing hole of dark loneliness in my chest until I met my wife 20 months ago - but my dogs gave me reason to wake up every morning before I met her. They needed me, I leaned on them yada yada yada.

You gotta have something to love and something that appreciates your love. Dogs can do that for you. When you feel like **** its great to watch them run to you with uncontrollable joy when you get home to your otherwise dreary life.

My wife acts the same way now lol but somehow I still need a dog.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789