Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Draft Questions

Trade down and draft Roquan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    That's definitely a good option as well

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    There are 4 players in this draft who i feel extremely comfortable about to the point where i’m convinced that barring injuries they’ll be Pro Bowlers/All Pro players. They’re basically my 4 first round surefire elite prospects who i expect great things from in the next level and who i would draft in round 1. Saquon Barkley, Quenton Nelson, Roquan Smith and Minkah Fitzpatrick in that wishlist order. There are other projected first rounders who i like, but those four get me all pumped up for the draft and it’s exciting to know that one of them could be a Giant next season.

I really like Smith. We need a sideline to sideline LB with great tackling skills who can cover RBs and TEs. Roquan is just that. He might have the most accurate NFL player comparison of all prospects, which is Deion Jones. Heck, he might end up being a better LB than Jones which speaks volumes about his skillset. Smith would instantly become Our defense’s QB. The kid has a high football IQ, and is relentless. By drafting him, we would finally have our cornerstone LB capable of leading the defense for years to come. How crazy is it that we haven’t had a reliable LB since Boley and it’s not like he was racking up 125+ tackles per season. Of course, there are other LBs who will fall to us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds( notably Micah Kiser and Josey Jewell) but none of them are as complete as Roquan.

I just think Gettleman will address the Oline if he trades back since Pugh is a FA and you have question marks regarding Flowers and the LT position. We could end up drafting a LT to not overpay for one in free agency. So Mike Mcglinchey, Connor Williams or Orlando Brown might be a preferred option for DG. However, if the Giants somehow end up with another first round pick, then the front office can address the LT need and add a playmaker on defense like Smith if he’s still available.

If we acquire a LT prior to the draft, then trading back becomes even more enticing (especially if Barkley is taken by CLE) because at the very worst you can add another OT like Martinas Rankin or Orlando Brown with your extra pick in round 2 thus improving your Oline and spend your 1st round pick on a playmaker like Smith or on another talented player. Let’s say they sign Solder in FA, they trade back in round 1 and get a 2nd rounder back, draft Rankin or Brown with one of their 2nd round picks and either tackles can serve as a backup LT if Solder gets injured, a starting G or even as a starting RT(if Pugh doesn’t re-sign).
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 01-10-2018 at 01:51 AM.

I wonder if this is the year the giants trade into the first round.. maybe grab a Bryce Love or Darrus Guice . Both Multi purpose RB who it would be nice to have a 5th year option on..

I would also still like to see if the bill would be willing to give us a fortune for our 2nd overall pick.
    only viable team to get two first round picks from and a starter..

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_NYG_fan View Post
    There are 4 players in this draft who i feel extremely comfortable about to the point where i’m convinced that barring injuries they’ll be Pro Bowlers/All Pro players. They’re basically my 4 first round surefire elite prospects who i expect great things from in the next level and who i would draft in round 1. Saquon Barkley, Quenton Nelson, Roquan Smith and Minkah Fitzpatrick in that wishlist order. There are other projected first rounders who i like, but those four get me all pumped up for the draft and it’s exciting to know that one of them could be a Giant next season.

I really like Smith. We need a sideline to sideline LB with great tackling skills who can cover RBs and TEs. Roquan is just that. He might have the most accurate NFL player comparison of all prospects, which is Deion Jones. Heck, he might end up being a better LB than Jones which speaks volumes about his skillset. Smith would instantly become Our defense’s QB. The kid has a high football IQ, and is relentless. By drafting him, we would finally have our cornerstone LB capable of leading the defense for years to come. How crazy is it that we haven’t had a reliable LB since Boley and it’s not like he was racking up 125+ tackles per season. Of course, there are other LBs who will fall to us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds( notably Micah Kiser and Josey Jewell) but none of them are as complete as Roquan.

I just think Gettleman will address the Oline if he trades back since Pugh is a FA and you have question marks regarding Flowers and the LT position. We could end up drafting a LT to not overpay for one in free agency. So Mike Mcglinchey, Connor Williams or Orlando Brown might be a preferred option for DG. However, if the Giants somehow end up with another first round pick, then the front office can address the LT need and add a playmaker on defense like Smith if he’s still available.

If we acquire a LT prior to the draft, then trading back becomes even more enticing (especially if Barkley is taken by CLE) because at the very worst you can add another OT like Martinas Rankin or Orlando Brown with your extra pick in round 2 thus improving your Oline and spend your 1st round pick on a playmaker like Smith or on another talented player. Let’s say they sign Solder in FA, they trade back in round 1 and get a 2nd rounder back, draft Rankin or Brown with one of their 2nd round picks and either tackles can serve as a backup LT if Solder gets injured, a starting G or even as a starting RT(if Pugh doesn’t re-sign).
    I love Smith, he reminds me of a young Jon Beason (before the knee injuries). I love Nelson but Smith is a game changer on defense. I’m starting to spur on the QB prospects, the only QB I actually like is Luke Falk, dude is deadly accurate. I like Darnold but I see the Browns taking him. Rosen has Jay Cutler written all over him (minus the arm strength).

Resign Pugh, Robinson & Kennard

Sign OG Josh Kline, RT Chris Hubbard & WR Tyrell Williams

Here’s my mock draft

1rd. LB Roquan Smith

2rd. RB Ronald Jones II (love this kid, reminds me of Kamara)

3rd. OT Desmond Harrison

4rd. QB Luke Falk

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...chris-trapasso

ya see this? CBS thinks we are going draft an OT with the #2 pick. If we did that, I would seriously want Gettleman fired. Better yet, an OT that is coming an injury

I say re-sign Pugh and Kennard

Sign Reggie Nelson to a 1 year deal

Alright so i had a bit of fun with a few trade-back scenarios. It goes like this:

Round 1: swap picks with CLE (we get their #4 pick and they get our #2 pick) we also get their picks #33 and #63.

Swap picks with BUF (pick #4 for pick # 21) in exchange for Cordy Glenn and their pick #22.

Pick #21: Roquan Smith is who i would pick but chances are he’ll be gone in the first 15 picks. Realistically, it could be Orlando Brown who can be the RT while Glenn is the LT. Obviously if Mcglinchey is available, he could also be the pick to play RT.

Pick #22: Billy Price OG - he can play guard and center. Some scouts are saying that he’s a better prospect than Pat Eflein.

Round 2:

Pick #33 (From CLE) :Anthony Miller WR

Pick #34: Nick Chubb RB

Trade Pick #63 (from CLE) to MIA in exchange for their Picks #73 and #107

Round 3:

pick #66: Harrison Phillips DT (although i think he’ll be selected mid 2nd round)

or Josey Jewell LB if Roquan Smith isn’t our first round pick.

Pick#73 (from MIA) Marquis Haynes DE/OLB - pure pass rusher who can play that Vic Beasley-type role for us. Very quick off the edge. Reminds me of former Alabama OLB Tim Williams.

Round 4:

Pick# 98: Bo Scarborough RB- big bruising RB that we’ve been missing since Jacobs.

Pick #107 (from MIA) Deatrick Nichols CB
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 01-10-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Highly highly doubt Smith will be available at 21. He's the best LB in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    Highly highly doubt Smith will be available at 21. He's the best LB in the draft
    Yeah, unless he performs poorly at the combine, gets injured or falls in the draft because of off the field issues, he’ll be selected in the top 15. I think he’ll go #10 to Oakland.

I mean for him to even fall to #21, the following players need to be selected ahead of him:

Saquon Barkley, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Brad Chubb, Arden Key, Calvin Ridley, MinkahFitzpatrick, Mike Mcglinchey, Quenton Nelson, Derwin James,Vitea Vea, Da’ron Payne, christian Wilkins, Courtland Sutton, Tarvaris McFadden, James Washington, Josh Allen, Joshua Jackson, Austin Bryant.

That list includes 4 QBs btw.
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 01-10-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Truthfully, I am fine if the Giants do not take a QB--especially if Sam Darnold is not available. I have several concerns about Josh Rosen, both on the field and off the field. No doubt, he is the most polished QB in this draft class, but his recent string of injuries, coupled with his immaturity (what kid isnt immature at that age) are potential red flags to me. That's not to say Darnold does not have red flags himself, though those are centered more on his increased turnover rate in 2017. Either way, based on all the mock drafts, it appears Darnold or Allen will be the first choice.

Assuming it's Darnold, that should leave the Giants with two options.
    -Option 1: Draft Rosen. If you think he is a franchise QB, you take Rosen and wait 30 picks until the second round. Manning is 37 years old, and his prime is well past him. It's not that hes incapable of having a big game or two, but the current state of our offense line and wide receivers don't exactly make it any easier for him.
    -Option 2: Trade Down. This assumes you are able to find a viable trade partner, but when there are multiple franchise QBs available (maybe too man y this year), you have to be very cautious drafting anyone else at the #2 spot. Sure it may mean you miss out on a Barkley, Chubb or Williams, but in looking at recent history and what it takes to move to #2, the Giants could be looking at an additional first (or two), a second and a third round pick. I am ALL for trading down and picking up additional assets. Best way to keep the team young and cost controlled. Take a page from the Patriots playbook.

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

St. Louis Cardinals:
    1926 • 1931 • 1934 • 1942 • 1944 • 1946 • 1964 • 1967 • 1982 • 2006 • 2011
    New York Rangers:
    1927–28 • 1932–33 • 1939–40 • 1993–94
    New York Knicks
    :
    1970 • 1973
    New York Giants:
    1986 • 1990 • 2007 • 2011

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

If we trade down I'd like us to grab an O-lineman. Otherwise, I want Barkley.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

It’s fun for the sake of discussion but any mock draft or musing about what’s going to happen about the draft is so moot until after the combine and pro days. So much can happen, so much will be revealed.

I have a feeling we trade back from 2. On one hand I think being up this high they should just take one of the QBs if they truly see them as a franchise guy (I personally think Rosen is the guy) or maybe trade back one time but not far if they think their QB can fall to them. That might be the smart move even for the little bit in picks you would get back. If they play it that way and somehow their guy doesn’t fall then improvise. Either take a BPA you see there (there’s plenty of holes to fill any Pick in the top 10 would be useful) or trade back again if they have another guy eyed up.

I think Rosen’s “off the field issues” are vastly over blown which is typical of some guys this time of year. Sometimes it gives teams a chance to capitalize on value taking a guy if he falls because of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Which cornerback and safety prospects are you guys looking forward to in the draft ? I think either Deshon Elliot (S), Donte Jackson(CB) or Deatrick Nichols (CB) would be worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick, especially if we trade back in the 1st round and get a 2nd and/or 3rd rounder in return which we can use on one of them.

With the possibility of DRC being gone and with the uncertainty of Eli Apple’s future with the team, we should add a CB at some point in the first 4 rounds. I was bummed out that we didn’t draft a CB in last year’s draft especially since the CB class was really deep. Shaq Griffin, Jourdan Lewis, Cordrea Tankersley, Rasul Douglas were some of the CBs drafted after Davis Webb.
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 01-20-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Gotta grab Barkley, the kid is a beast! Having him would do wonders for Eli and the defense. Time of possession would go up. Defenses can't cheat on rushing Eli anymore. He can manage the game and have plenty of weapons. We have needed a running back since Tiki, gotta pull the trigger on Barkley. I'm not sold on Rosen, he had two concussions, a shoulder surgery and isn't liked by teammates. Darnold had a down year and could be a bust. I don't think any of the offensive lineman are worth a top 10 pick.
    [SIGPIC]

Pretty good article, IMO. Broken draft system is no surprise, but none of us knew how bad.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/20/dave-g...draft-process/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast