Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Case Keenum MVP?

I just want to gather some thoughts here. I mentioned this to my friends a couple weeks ago and everyone thought I was crazy. They said Wentz was a lock, but he tore his ACL. After Antonio Browns 200 yard game they proclaimed him MVP, but he just tore his calf. Russel Wilson was a ďlockĒ after he was deemed miraculous in the fourth quarter, but the Seahawks have lost 2 straight and Wilson was sacked 7 times today. There was also a mention of Brady but even he lost last week Miami, and if the refs call that a catch today he would be at 2 straight losses.

For right now, I do see Brady as the clear cut favorite with the Patriots being the number one seed, but I just want to get some thoughts on other players. I know the vote is from 50 sports writers and statistics are heavily favored, but do you think itís a stretch to say Keenum is in the voting? Keenum currently sits like 12th and 14th in yards and passing TDs.

PUNI GOD!!

He deserves to be in the top 10, but no way does he win. Brady, Wentz, Gurley, Bell, Brown, Wilson, Goff, Keenum all deserve some consideration. But Brady probably will win it even though the past 3 weeks his numbers have been pretty poor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keenum and Thielen should be in the conversation. Neither one will probably get any consideration, though.

I have been saying Keenum is in the conversation for weeks, but it will be Brady.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

MVP of this team absolutely but no way league MVP. His #'s are pretty average compared to the rest of the other QBs and MVP candidates.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    MVP of this team absolutely but no way league MVP. His #'s are pretty average compared to the rest of the other QBs and MVP candidates.
    I would be willing to bet that Case would be top 3 if they gave 1st, 2nd, 3rd place votes. The first 10 weeks or so I was thinking this is just am aberration and it will pass over. But damn, each week he steps up and plays big. I went from no way we resign him to maybe to alright we have to strongly consider it.

I don't want to take anything away from Brady but what exactly puts him that much further ahead of Case? Is it his overall numbers? I mean outside of actual yards Case is in line with Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    I would be willing to bet that Case would be top 3 if they gave 1st, 2nd, 3rd place votes. The first 10 weeks or so I was thinking this is just am aberration and it will pass over. But damn, each week he steps up and plays big. I went from no way we resign him to maybe to alright we have to strongly consider it.

I don't want to take anything away from Brady but what exactly puts him that much further ahead of Case? Is it his overall numbers? I mean outside of actual yards Case is in line with Tom.
    When you put the #'s side by side they really aren't all that close. Brady has him edged in every category. The one thing Case was dominating at was QBR but his QBR has dropped quite a bit the last 3 games. 57.3, 41.7, and 62.4 the last 3 games. We don't really ask him to do a whole lot. Lots of high % throws. Case is having an amazing season but Brady has the entire load on him. His o-line has been banged up, weapons are getting injured/suspended, and their defense has been a liability. Yet their the #1 seed in the AFC and 11-3. Take Brady off that team and their average.
    2018 Vikings Draft :

When you put the #'s side by side they really aren't all that close. Brady has him edged in every category. The one thing Case was dominating at was QBR but his QBR has dropped quite a bit the last 3 games. 57.3, 41.7, and 62.4 the last 3 games. We don't really ask him to do a whole lot. Lots of high % throws. Case is having an amazing season but Brady has the entire load on him. His o-line has been banged up, weapons are getting injured/suspended, and their defense has been a liability. Yet their the #1 seed in the AFC and 11-3. Take Brady off that team and their average.
    Are you saying case is game managing? He isnt going out there and just attempting high % throws. His average yard per attempt is right up there with Brady. He should very much be in the conversation with brady, and brady has had some subpar games lately

Without Brady I bet they're still 9-7 at least. The AFC is weak this year. And they won 9 games w Matt Cassel when Brady tore his ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    Are you saying case is game managing? He isnt going out there and just attempting high % throws. His average yard per attempt is right up there with Brady. He should very much be in the conversation with brady, and brady has had some subpar games lately

Yes, he is game managing. Keenum's yard per competition is 11.1. Good for 23rd. Tied with Trevor Siemian and .1 behind Trubisky. Tom Brady is 12.1. Yards per attempt is better, good for 10th, but to my point of high % throws, 47.5% of our teams combined receiving yards is YAC. Against the Bengals, for example, 77.1% of our passing yards were YAC. That isn't to knock Keenum's play (Brees leads the league YAC) but the offense is very QB friendly. His average air yards is 5.8, which is 33rd among qualifiers. For comparisons sake, Wentz is #2, Wilson #6, and Brady 10th. So again a lot of pass attempts are high % throws. Screens, shallow crossers, slants, etc. He isn't be asked to do a whole lot outside of the confines of the offense. His overall #'s aren't too far off from what Bradford was able to do. The biggest difference is Keenum's amazing ability to manipulate the pocket and avoid sacks (Bradford a statue) and Keenum actually has the balls to try and thread the needle. He's been taking chances Bradford never would and it's resulted in some big plays. It's been noted Keenum should have more INT's than he does but with our D I'm totally fine with Keenum getting aggressive. Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph can and will make plays on the ball. But again to the point of Keenum as an MVP, that's just silly talk and the #'s back it up. Team MVP, absolutely but not NFL.
    2018 Vikings Draft :

Yes, he is game managing. Keenum's yard per competition is 11.1. Good for 23rd. Tied with Trevor Siemian and .1 behind Trubisky. Tom Brady is 12.1. Yards per attempt is better, good for 10th, but to my point of high % throws, 47.5% of our teams combined receiving yards is YAC. Against the Bengals, for example, 77.1% of our passing yards were YAC. That isn't to knock Keenum's play (Brees leads the league YAC) but the offense is very QB friendly. His average air yards is 5.8, which is 33rd among qualifiers. For comparisons sake, Wentz is #2, Wilson #6, and Brady 10th. So again a lot of pass attempts are high % throws. Screens, shallow crossers, slants, etc. He isn't be asked to do a whole lot outside of the confines of the offense. His overall #'s aren't too far off from what Bradford was able to do. The biggest difference is Keenum's amazing ability to manipulate the pocket and avoid sacks (Bradford a statue) and Keenum actually has the balls to try and thread the needle. He's been taking chances Bradford never would and it's resulted in some big plays. It's been noted Keenum should have more INT's than he does but with our D I'm totally fine with Keenum getting aggressive. Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph can and will make plays on the ball. But again to the point of Keenum as an MVP, that's just silly talk and the #'s back it up. Team MVP, absolutely but not NFL.
    We rank 9th in YAC, and most of the teams with elite qb's are ahead of us. He is definitly not game managing, all you have to do is watch the games to come to that conclusion. Again, Viking fans are looking for any reason to make a excuse for keenums play. He is playing at a elite level and should be in talks for MVP.

Those next-gen stats are such a dumb argument when it comes to how a QB is playing. I know he isnt going to be MVP, but there arent many players ahead of him. For a 3rd string qb to come in and play the way he has, he should definitely be in the discussion.

He should be re-signed asap.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    He should be re-signed asap.

He is the qb we have all hoped for the last 15 years. Sign Case, if they toll teddys contract then trade him for a 4th to cleveland if not then let him sign elsewhere, and im pretty sure Bradford retires. Draft some OL and we should be good for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    We rank 9th in YAC, and most of the teams with elite qb's are ahead of us. He is definitly not game managing, all you have to do is watch the games to come to that conclusion. Again, Viking fans are looking for any reason to make a excuse for keenums play. He is playing at a elite level and should be in talks for MVP.

Those next-gen stats are such a dumb argument when it comes to how a QB is playing. I know he isnt going to be MVP, but there arent many players ahead of him. For a 3rd string qb to come in and play the way he has, he should definitely be in the discussion.

Iím a big fan of Keenum actually. These are not excuses. These are facts. The next gen stats tell details of the story. They show heís being asked to throw a lot of high % passes and heís executing. There is nothing wrong with being a game manager. I know because Iím a Teddy fan that itís assumed I automatically want to see Keenum play bad but that couldnít be further from the truth. Heís playing great but Iím not drinkikg the MVP kool aid. Itís over the top. Keenum hasnít put the team on his back like Brady and Wentz have. The only game this season where we needed to be led down the field to tie or win the game was against Carolina and Keenum couldnít pull it off. Just look at Brady in the Steeler game. Backs against the wall and not playing well but he leads them down the field to eventually win it. Keenum struggles with the deep ball. Thatís not his game and he isnít being asked to do that. Thatís why his air yards are so low. Thereís nothing wrong with that. No sense forcing Keenum to do something that doesnít fit his strengths. But again the numbers show you Keenum is not an NFL MVP. Heís not playing on the level of Brady. Team MVP yes but not league MVP.
    2018 Vikings Draft :

Iím a big fan of Keenum actually. These are not excuses. These are facts. The next gen stats tell details of the story. They show heís being asked to throw a lot of high % passes and heís executing. There is nothing wrong with being a game manager. I know because Iím a Teddy fan that itís assumed I automatically want to see Keenum play bad but that couldnít be further from the truth. Heís playing great but Iím not drinkikg the MVP kool aid. Itís over the top. Keenum hasnít put the team on his back like Brady and Wentz have. The only game this season where we needed to be led down the field to tie or win the game was against Carolina and Keenum couldnít pull it off. Just look at Brady in the Steeler game. Backs against the wall and not playing well but he leads them down the field to eventually win it. Keenum struggles with the deep ball. Thatís not his game and he isnít being asked to do that. Thatís why his air yards are so low. Thereís nothing wrong with that. No sense forcing Keenum to do something that doesnít fit his strengths. But again the numbers show you Keenum is not an NFL MVP. Heís not playing on the level of Brady. Team MVP yes but not league MVP.
    Donít bother arguing with him. He likes Keenum more than Joe Buck likes Rodgers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast