Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2017/2018 Off-Season Thread

Discuss! New posters sign up and join the discussion!
    __________________________________._________

Really like the Kinsler trade

He had a 2.4 WAR last year. The last time an Angels second basemen had a WAR that high was 2014. Over the last 3 years the Angels second basemen are dead last in all of baseball at -0.9 WAR. Now lets add a 3rd basemen not named Moustakas

2B Kinsler
    RF Calhoun
    CF Trout
    LF Upton
    1B Pujols
    3B Headley?
    SS Simmons
    DH Ohtani/Valbuena
    C Maldonado
    __________________________________._________

I used to post on here but the forum really died thanks to the Dipoto effect ravaging our team. Good to see it back up!

Very excited to have what is likely to be the sickest infield defense and maybe best overall defense. Simmons is unlike any other player when it comes to defense, just everywhere out there. Our offense should be improved with a full season of upton, trout and even if cozart regresses a little itíll be an improvement over what weíve had out there basically since figgins.

Our starting rotation depth is really nice, with Richards, Othani, Heaney, Skaggs, Ramirez, bridwell, barria, shoemaker, but you just never know what youíre going to get when it comes to health. Personally, I donít ever see Skaggs being someone to depend on health wise; heís just never had good luck with it. I trust eppler to find no name pieces for the bullpen; how nice it is to have a GM who makes moves that actually work.

Othani is a player I honestly think will be special. I think a lot of people are underestimating him as a hitter tbh; his speed out the box is very good and his raw power is a skill set I think will translate well. As a pitcher, everything Iím reading says this guy can be Verlander out there with his power pitching. I would be more surprised to see him be a total bust rather than a phenom on the mound this year and eventually the league figures him out a little and he normalizes some. And for his salary, itís an amazing move.

With the minor league depth weíve reestablished and actual uniform team philosophy (pitchers that get its defense to make its outs; high OBP offense) I think we can contend this year and surprise a lot of people. Eppler is a great GM.

2B Kinsler
    RF Kalhoun
    CF Trout
    LF Upton
    1B Pujols
    DH Ohtani
    3B Cozart
    SS Simmons
    C Maldonado

Richards
    Heaney
    Othani
    Skaggs
    Shoemaker
    Ramirez

Bridwell
    Barria

I like this team a lot. Excited to once again have my season seats!
    Last edited by kj_maestro; 01-24-2018 at 02:34 AM.

We have 3 Top 100 Prosects. We've come quite a long way from two years ago

Quote Originally Posted by kj_maestro View Post
    We have 3 Top 100 Prosects. We've come quite a long way from two years ago
    Which list are you using? MLB.com Lists us with 4.

Otani(1), Jo Addel(62), Matian(87), Jones(93).
    Last edited by ciaban; 02-25-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Weíre making the playoffs this year if we stay healthy. If trout didnít go down last year we take the wild card from the twins. Pitching should be way better this year too hopefully.

I love our starting line up and think Rivera as the backup catcher is gonna be a key move this year. Lots of intriguing options to come off the bench. Liking fletcher and young jr or maybe even Jones. We need the extra speed. Too bad we gave up on marte and Perez. I think they might actually have some value.

Weíre pretty much set but wonder if we would consider picking up someone like Walker to come off the bench on a super cheap 1 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Which list are you using? MLB.com Lists us with 4.

Otani(1), Jo Addel(62), Matian(87), Jones(93).
    Tbh I donít remember which one I was looking at lol. But Iíve seen so many lists, the likes of which mention Ohtani, Adell, Jones, Maitan, Barria, Marsh and I even wanna day 1 or 2 included Ward and C. Rodriguez. Pretty fun to watch develop!

Quote Originally Posted by Eg714 View Post
    Weíre making the playoffs this year if we stay healthy. If trout didnít go down last year we take the wild card from the twins. Pitching should be way better this year too hopefully.

I love our starting line up and think Rivera as the backup catcher is gonna be a key move this year. Lots of intriguing options to come off the bench. Liking fletcher and young jr or maybe even Jones. We need the extra speed. Too bad we gave up on marte and Perez. I think they might actually have some value.

Weíre pretty much set but wonder if we would consider picking up someone like Walker to come off the bench on a super cheap 1 year deal.
    I agree I think this team will contend. I think Herm is more likely to come up this year. Jam is only proven through high A ball and although I think heís great at adjusting at each level, I think he would have to absolutely rake and for us to have tons of injuries to see him this year.

I feel like fletcher is gonna make the opening day roster. Birdwell is starting to worry me. He was someone I thought for sure had spot in the rotation locked up. Now itís not a given with all the other pithers we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Eg714 View Post
    I feel like fletcher is gonna make the opening day roster. Birdwell is starting to worry me. He was someone I thought for sure had spot in the rotation locked up. Now itís not a given with all the other pithers we have.
    I like fletcher a lot more than cowart. Never got the love for kaleb, nice glove and all. Bridwell probably starts in AAA since he still has options and JC doesnít. So he should have some opportunity to figure it out, I hope Barria deals in AAA this year and he gets a shot in the majors. I like him a lot