Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How much will the Bears lose by?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 100.00%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bears (3-9) @ Bengals (5-7) | 12:00 pm CDT | FOX

One of the questions surrounding the Chicago Bears this week has been the usage of rookie tight end Adam Shaheen.

The second round pick hasn't been on the field as much as fans have hoped he would be and it's getting frustrating. Chicago's offense as a whole struggled against the San Francisco 49ers and the loss officially eliminated them from the playoffs.

With four games remaining in the season, the focus shifts to the development of the youth on Chicago's roster including Mitch Trubisky, Tarik Cohen, and Shaheen. But that can't happen if those players can't find the field.

Shaheen played on just 9 snaps against the 49ers and ran routes on 3 of those in the game. The other snaps he was in for blocking purposes.

Offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains offered some insight as to what Shaheen has to do to get on the field more.

"Just practicing. Just practice," Loggains said. "We're trying to expand his package and how much he can hold, really how much he can take on that way. So we're experimenting with stuff and different packages and just how much volume he can hold up to."

Just two weeks prior, Loggains met the media and explained that he didn't think the return of Dion Sims would slow down the progress of the tight end. He went on to say that Shaheen has earned the playing time from the past two weeks.

Sims returned against the Philadelphia Eagles a few weeks back and out-snapped Shaheen in both games since being back. Against the 49ers, Sims played on 25 downs compared to the 9 that Shaheen played on. Tight end Daniel Brown played on 11 snaps in the game.

For Shaheen, the problem hasn't necessarily been his talent but rather finding playing time. He's caught 8 of his 9 targets this season for 83 yards and 2 touchdowns.

But the Bears just have to find ways to get him more involved and don't see the tight end struggling.

"Not struggled. Thats not the right word I would use," Loggains said. "Tight end is a very complex position to play. And obviously we like Dion. We like Dan Brown. Zach fulfilled a big role early. What weve asked him to do hes done a nice job. Wed like to get him on the field more."

Shaheen has picked up on the "Y" position as a tight end where he's behind Sims on the depth chart. But he knows he has to learn more than just that and be able to contribute as the "F" which was Zach Miller in the Bears offense.

"Just learning packages," Shaheen said. "Not just being the Y, that's the most important thing."

For a young player, getting more reps and playing time is crucial for development. The tight end is hoping to make some adjustments as we gear towards the final quarter of the season.

"Adjusting to the mental side of things," Shaheen. "It's not a physical thing, it's just mental and technique. You can always get better at technique."

In mini camp and training camp, the tight end built a relationship with fellow rookie Mitch Trubisky. The two plan on working together in the offseason, building that chemistry with one another.

Shaheen has 7 of his 8 receptions from Trubisky on the season for 81 yards.

The hope is that the two are focal points in the Bears offense for years to come. Trubisky sees what Shaheen can be and the hard work he's putting in.

"He [Shaheen] can be as good as he wants to be," Trubisky said. "So, its all about hard work and dedication. But the most important thing for me looking at him is that he loves the game, loves the work. Me and him, we stay after practice to throw, were out there before practice to throw and were going to get a lot of work in the offseason. But for now, its just what can you do each day to get better. I see him every day just getting better, focused at practice, doing his job, just trying to figure out what he can do better each day and how he can make the guys around us better. Thats what were all trying to do."

Now it's just up to the Bears to find ways to expand Shaheen's role as they close out 2017.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Bengals win 23-13.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bears45 Bengals12 book it

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    With Kyle Long out now..... I have a bad feeling mitch gets injured in the final 4 games.

Im going bengled 34 Bears 17

Jesus Kyben... predicting an injury? You take the phrase wet blanket to another ****ing level man.

I think we have a good chance if Adkins doesnt play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol Jesus.

Defense gonna suck today... Bengals have about half their Defense out too.

Trubisky Homecoming

Still can't find a kicker.

I know nobody may know..... But has mark sanchez been active 1 time this year.

Wish there was some way to get josh Gordon the guy still has it.

Santos will be a Bear next year after hes fully over that groin surgery

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast