Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 295 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    This board is going to be seriously depressed. At this point Cobb would be a very welcomed signing and would leave them the money to go and grab 2 of Shaw/Morrow/Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    They almost made the playoffs last season and they should be much better this season given a healthier pitching staff, a full season of Justin Upton, and adding Otani. Any team that makes the playoffs has a very legitimate shot at winning the World Series so the Angels should be competing for a title before 2019.
    They have holes at 3rd and 2nd. They have below average offensive players at C, 1B, RF (though both Calhoun and Cron are right at the league average for OPS). One average offensive player in Simmons. Upton and Trout are the only legit offensive threats in their lineups.

As for pitching...it is at best, average. Ohtani should and will help. Bud Norris was the closer last yr after an ineffective Street get hurt. They need pitching and more pitching. Angels will be, at best, a pest next year in the AL West. 2019 is the earliest they will compete for a WC spot.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    This board is going to be seriously depressed. At this point Cobb would be a very welcomed signing and would leave them the money to go and grab 2 of Shaw/Morrow/Reed.
    I don't see why they would be....hopefully everyone was realistic about the odds of landing him.
    Totally agree w the moves you proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    They almost made the playoffs last season and they should be much better this season given a healthier pitching staff, a full season of Justin Upton, and adding Otani. Any team that makes the playoffs has a very legitimate shot at winning the World Series so the Angels should be competing for a title before 2019.
    Exactly, the Angels are probably the favorites for the 2nd WC right now. If Garret Richards can stay healthy they might even be more than that. Not to mention a vastly improved farm system. They're definitely ahead of the Cubs at the moment.

Lots of deaths just happened with all the Ohtani or suicide talk earlier

The Cubs did not need to do much this offseason. So Cobb/Chatwood and two of those bullpen arms, please say re-signing Rivera for back up C is all the Cubs will do, then I will be cool with the off season.

---------

Maeda
    Ohtani
    Darvish
    Tanaka

Maybe one day, the Cubs can convince a Japanese pitcher to sign with the Cubs. Oh well, Cubs still have a top 5 team in baseball, and between the Bears/Bulls and Hawks sucking, I am so ready for more baseball.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Excluding his days with Baltimore, Arrieta's numbers with the Cubs are eerily similar to Yu Darvish and they are the same age. (Jake is a couple of months older). So if Darvish is better, and I'm not as sure as you are, it is not enough to go after Darvish hard while letting Arrieta go.
    I'd rather the Cubs get Arrieta then Cobb. But I like DArvish more bc he has better k numbers. I believe he struck out 11 per 9 w 2.4 BB per 9. I'm a sucker for Ks...to me he's an ace next year and probably r best pitcher. If GMs r gna let a bad postseason lower his value the Cubs should jump all over it.

I will give Ohtani and his reps credit from not dragging this on any longer. Now teams can begin their off season.
    Screw sabermetics.

Good on the guy for not dragging out the process. It makes the most sense really, you would think its best for the guy not to throw at all when he isn't pitching. In the NL its more of a risk, you really dont want him throwing to third base or home from right field trying to cut down a runner. It sounds like his big upside is pitching, who knows what happens if he injures himself in the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    The Cubs did not need to do much this offseason. So Cobb/Chatwood and two of those bullpen arms, please say re-signing Rivera for back up C is all the Cubs will do, then I will be cool with the off season.

---------

Maeda
    Ohtani
    Darvish
    Tanaka

Maybe one day, the Cubs can convince a Japanese pitcher to sign with the Cubs. Oh well, Cubs still have a top 5 team in baseball, and between the Bears/Bulls and Hawks sucking, I am so ready for more baseball.
    I'm with you, I went into this offseason more than happy with a Cobb 4 and a Mikolas/Chatwood 5, but many on this board are expecting quite a bit more.

I'm with you, I went into this offseason more than happy with a Cobb 4 and a Mikolas/Chatwood 5, but many on this board are expecting quite a bit more.
    I'm w you on Cobb and Chatwood too. Then factor in Q for the entire season, and hopefully a healthy Hendricks, and the SP should be good.
    I'm sure they will continue to look at trades for a young SP as well.

Cobb/Chatwood is a yuck offseason. I really don't think the Cubs get Cobb now that we signed Chatwood. Why wouldn't u want the Cubs to spend on DArvish over Cobb?? Regardless if we sign Cobb and a couple relievers we won't be able to afford Harper next year? The only chance we have at Harper is if we trade for a cheap SP and probably a reliever too. And we'd probably have to trade JHey too...which is very unlikely.

My guess is we trade for a SP or sign one of DArvish or Arrieta. A GM like Theo doesn't build a powerhouse of a team like the Cubs and then sign pitching like Cobb and Chatwood.

Good for Ohtani I guess. At least it's not anyone in our league.

It would have been a nice get for the Cubs but whatever. Not sure why a player wouldn't prefer to be on a team who will be very good for quite a few years versus a team like the Angels who probably won't be. Time to move on.
    Last edited by s2obed; 12-08-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Maybe some dominoes will start to fall after this.

Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman85 View Post
    Cobb/Chatwood is a yuck offseason. I really don't think the Cubs get Cobb now that we signed Chatwood. Why wouldn't u want the Cubs to spend on DArvish over Cobb?? Regardless if we sign Cobb and a couple relievers we won't be able to afford Harper next year? The only chance we have at Harper is if we trade for a cheap SP and probably a reliever too. And we'd probably have to trade JHey too...which is very unlikely.

My guess is we trade for a SP or sign one of DArvish or Arrieta. A GM like Theo doesn't build a powerhouse of a team like the Cubs and then sign pitching like Cobb and Chatwood.
    But you want to trade Manaea for Baez instead if just getting Cobb. How is Manaea by himself better than Cobb and Baez? How is a Cobb/Chatwood offseason a yuck offseason but trading Baez fir Manaea a good idea?

Page 4 of 295 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast