Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 181 of 295 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 4412
    Fwiw, the guy behind me at the hawks game said he got an alert on his phone... Archer traded for Betts. Probably nothing but even so... That'd be yuge

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Fwiw, the guy behind me at the hawks game said he got an alert on his phone... Archer traded for Betts. Probably nothing but even so... That'd be yuge
    Yeah I havenít seen anything anywhere regarding that

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Theo Epstein admits the Cubs are still looking to add to their team. They've been linked to Arrieta, Darvish and Cobb this offseason: "We're not done, " Epstein said. "We certainly would like to add another pitcher. I like our talent but we can add to the depth. You can do that through depth moves or you can do it through adding another real quality pitcher and bolster the depth more that way."
    - Jesse Rogers

Pretty cool quote from Hendricks. Have to believe that 7 years ago, as an 8th round draft pick by Texas, a junior pitcher from an Ivy League college, Hendricks never thought he'd see $4m. He's had a very difficult path to the majors as a SP who throws in the high 80's, and even harder path to being a TORP as a SP who throw's high 80's. I'll say, I remember telling Wolf on this board on the day of the Dempster trade I thought Hendricks was a nothing throw in because he simply didn't throw hard enough.

Pretty cool to see him basically throw the proverbial middle finger to the world and become a wonderful SP despite all of that. Have to say, he's probably one of my favorite Cubs in recent history because of all of that. I tend to gravitate towards players who prove me wrong (I'm looking at you, Mark DeRosa).
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Pretty cool quote from Hendricks. Have to believe that 7 years ago, as an 8th round draft pick by Texas, a junior pitcher from an Ivy League college, Hendricks never thought he'd see $4m. He's had a very difficult path to the majors as a SP who throws in the high 80's, and even harder path to being a TORP as a SP who throw's high 80's. I'll say, I remember telling Wolf on this board on the day of the Dempster trade I thought Hendricks was a nothing throw in because he simply didn't throw hard enough.

Pretty cool to see him basically throw the proverbial middle finger to the world and become a wonderful SP despite all of that. Have to say, he's probably one of my favorite Cubs in recent history because of all of that. I tend to gravitate towards players who prove me wrong (I'm looking at you, Mark DeRosa).
    Well said, 1908.

I can certainly say Iíd never thought Hendricks would become the player heís turned into when we heard his name involved in the Dempster trade.

Heís earned every bit of that dollar, and I couldnít be any happier for him.

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

I've kinda backed myself off the Darvish train and I'm back to Cobb. I think it was CP who said it the other day about how Cobb or Chatwood could likely be moved if signed and I think that's an interesting point.

I don't believe Darvish is any better than what the Cubs already have, nor good enough for me to really like the idea of having him long-term at his age. I mean, he's nice as another proven playoff caliber pitcher, but I don't think he's any better than Hendricks or Q which is what the Cubs should be focused on. Right now, that guy isn't available (there's only a handful of guys who fit into that "next tier" imo). So, yeah imo, get Cobb, get your bullpen situated and re-assess at deadline. I know everyone's sold on Harper, but hey maybe next year, it'll be Kershaw or Keuchel or if the Mets fall off a cliff, maybe even a guy like Thor we'll be talking about snagging while our farm system gains a lot of momentum. Just sayin'. Keep yourself in a position to make a move for that top guy like the Sox did with Sale.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

NO Darvish

When Rick Sutcliffe did his comparisons to Greg Maddux I was on the Hendricks train. Sutcliffe called it before anyone. Great post 1908.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones-in View Post
    When Rick Sutcliffe did his comparisons to Greg Maddux I was on the Hendricks train. Sutcliffe called it before anyone. Great post 1908.
    I remember the trade like it was yesterday. When he was in Triple-A somebody on here mentioned that we have a good pitcher down in the minors so I looked him up and kind of followed him until he got called up. During his first outing I called my buddy who is a Brewers fan and told him to put the Cubs game on. I asked him who Hendricks reminded him of and he said he didn't know. I told him that he reminded me a lot of Maddux. He started laughing and told me I was crazy to put this guy on the same level. I told him that I wasn't comparing their abilities, I was comparing their pitching styles. Excellent command. A ton of movement. Nibbling the corners. His stature. He laughed and told me that I was crazy. I said watch this guy become a very very good pitcher. And here we are today, and he's one of our most reliable and counted on guys we have
    Last edited by thawv; 01-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Darvish is having some fun at the expense of a couple of Yankees fan who are pissed he hasn't sign with them.
    Screw sabermetics.

To be fair nobody thought Hendricks would come anywhere close to what he has done so far. The scouts that saw him in the minors liked him but thought his upside was no more than a 4/5 starter.

I have to think there may be discussions on an extension for him and he seems agreeable to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones-in View Post
    Yes, but Sutcliffe was probably drunk. That doesnít count.

The Maddux comparison is still kind of dumb too.

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/st...41316288643073

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When your closet's clean, then come clean somebody else's. But clean yours first, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiCubsFan View Post
    Thatís a shame. He wouldíve been a good addition with Morrow and Cishek in the BP.

Reed went for less in years and AAV I was expecting. Maybe he wanted to close and he was promised that for taking 2 years.