Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 180 of 295 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230280 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 4412
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    That's great news! Of all the guys to want to go to arbitration, it's Grim? Hahaha
    I still can't believe they tendered him.a contract.

2017-18 Cubs Offseason Thread: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    That's great news! Of all the guys to want to go to arbitration, it's Grim? Hahaha
    I would hope that Grimm wouldn’t be the 1st Cubs player in the Theo/Jed era to choose to have an arbitration hearing

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser 3 View Post
    I still can't believe they tendered him.a contract.
    At that price there's no risk in offering him arb if there's a chance he'll make the team.

If he doesn't make it, they only owe him 30-45 days pay. That's why it makes sense that he'd fight for every dollar now. He's the only one of these players that might not actually get much of the money.

Hopefully this is the year Russell breaks out and turns into a capable hitter. His career offensive WAR numbers are terribly unimpressive. Fangraphs though seems to be confident in Russell, as they project an OPS of around 770.

The possibly progression of Russell and 4-3 being able to continue his September success will be two of the big storylines for the lineup.

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/951931023566262272

Do it.

I was distracted but heard some of Hoyer on 670 today. From what I heard, I didn't get the impression that a trade was likely. It also sounded like a very slim chance that Jake is back and that they aren't adding any hitters. So, while I'd love to trade for Cole, I'd guess that Darvish and Cobb are the most realistic targets.
    Last edited by CP_414; 01-12-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/951931023566262272

Do it.

I was distracted but heard some of Hoyer on 670 today. From what I heard, I didn't get the impression that a trade was likely. It also sounded like a very slim chance that Jake is back and that they aren't adding any hitters. So, while I'd love to trade for Cole, I'd guess that Darvish and Cobb are the most realistic targets.
    Agreed. Wasn't that into the idea of Cole if more than Happ. But I am in now. Especially at his salary. I mean the Cubs could conceivably add him via trade and sign Reed and be under the luxury tax. I would be all for that. Something like Happ and a young arm for Cole would be fine with me. Maybe protect a few minor league players and let them choose a minor league player as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Agreed. Wasn't that into the idea of Cole if more than Happ. But I am in now. Especially at his salary. I mean the Cubs could conceivably add him via trade and sign Reed and be under the luxury tax. I would be all for that. Something like Happ and a young arm for Cole would be fine with me. Maybe protect a few minor league players and let them choose a minor league player as well.
    They could do Cole, Reed, and Cain, and have $5 million left for in season stuff.

They won't. But they could.

Jim Bowden (Ralph) is an idiot. But he had the Cubs as the 3rd most likely team for Cole and suggested Happ, Caratini, Albertos as the trade.

If the Pirates want ML talent I wonder if Happ + Wilson for Cole and sign Reed is a possibility? But only Happ would be controlled beyond 2018 and we might need to add a prospect. Not that I am advocating trading Wilson when relief help is something we need an abundance of. Just a suggestion I had.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    They could do Cole, Reed, and Cain, and have $5 million left for in season stuff.

They won't. But they could.

Jim Bowden (Ralph) is an idiot. But he had the Cubs as the 3rd most likely team for Cole and suggested Happ, Caratini, Albertos as the trade.
    If they pulled all of that off I would be ecstatic.

I'm hoping we can get Maybin or Dyson on a cheap deal once the dust settles

Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    Hopefully this is the year Russell breaks out and turns into a capable hitter. His career offensive WAR numbers are terribly unimpressive. Fangraphs though seems to be confident in Russell, as they project an OPS of around 770.

The possibly progression of Russell and 4-3 being able to continue his September success will be two of the big storylines for the lineup.
    Even if Russell doesn't take a single step forward from 2016, he's a more than competent hitter for his position. Yes, compared to 1b, he'd be a weak hitter, but MLB league average SS offense was a .312 in 2016, Russell's last fully healthy year. Russell was at .316, which is a notch above average. At an elite defensive SS while being a bit above league average offensively, he'll be a great player. If he improves his offense from there, he'll be elite.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Kyle Hendricks called his $4 million+ contract for 2018 as "life changing." He said he plays the game for fun but it's good to see the hard work pay off.
    - Jesse Rogers

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Darvish tweeted that the Yanks did make an offer but the rumored number was not corrrect. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    - Jesse Rogers
    Not often do you see an athlete that humble when it comes to discussing his own contract value. I respect the hell out of the guy even more now.

Well if $4M is life changing (and I agree it is), his life is going to change a few more times if he keeps pitching like he has.