Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    It looks like the NHL is putting the salary cap at $78M to $82M, which would add between $3M and $7M to our cap situation. That's a positive.

As everything stands right now, we'll have $58M committed to 18 players; you'll also need to figure that we'll re-sign Leier ($1.25M AAV), Manning ($1M AAV), Hagg ($2M bridge deal) and Lyon ($900k).

Any scenario where Lyon impacts our cap would entail the trade of Elliott or Neuvirth, which would result in an overall savings. So we can safely write that off. That leaves $63M for our 21-man roster and between $15M and $19M in cap space before any additional moves are made.

If we choose to buy out Lehtera, that's a savings of $3.3M, less the cost of his replacement (likely a rookie like Lindblom).

The BIG question is Wayne Simmonds. He's currently at $3.975M for this year and next year. He's likely to want a raise into the $6M range for his age-32 season. That's....tough.

But fortunately -- or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it -- none of our rookies are really playing themselves into expensive contracts, with the exception of Provorov. Konecny has 10 points in 30 games. He'll get a deal similar to Yakupov and/or Silvferberg -- $2.5M AAV to $3.75M AAV. And based on his production, I think he's likely to be in the 3-4 Years/ $8M-$10M range. Big deal -- that's a marginal increase of $2M or so.

Provorov will get paid -- he's probably looking at 7/$35M ($5M AAV) for his next deal, assuming he doesn't win a Norris. If he wins one of those (or gets close), he'll get Erik Karlsson-level money (7/$45M). But, most of that will be off-set if we buy out or trade AMac.

Even if we assume the absolute worst, we have: $15M + $3M = $18M less Provorov Increase ($5.5M) less Konecny Increase ($2M) = $10.5M in cap space. Save $2M of that for flexibility and we're looking at $8.5M in 2018-19 cap space to play with -- and only Simmonds ($2M projected increase), Raffl, Weal, Laughton and Sanheim to re-sign. And of those, I can only really see Sanheim getting a significant ($1.5M+) raise.

The cap situation -- for the first time in recent memory -- actually looks pretty damn good. And it'll look even better if we can clear AMac, Lehtera and Neuvirth off it.

I think Manning is actually the odd man out unless somehow they move Gudas.

But that aside.......I think the key guys to watch that will determine more of our future is 3 guys.........how does Konecny progress between now and spring, how does Weal progress between now and spring....and how does Lindblom take shape over the next 3 months. Those 3 guys will probably do more to determine what our off season moves look like.

Lindblom potted his 7th tonight too. He looks like he is close.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    He's looked better over the last 5-10 games.

A lot better.

I'd like to see it continue for a bit longer. Maybe a total of 20? Before I think you can declare him ready.

That said, if there's an injury during this homestand he may be the one called up.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    He's looked better over the last 5-10 games.

A lot better.

I'd like to see it continue for a bit longer. Maybe a total of 20? Before I think you can declare him ready.

That said, if there's an injury during this homestand he may be the one called up.
    no he wont, we have lehtera and read

I think it's fair to say that the organization is basing their decision on Lindblom's readiness on much more than just a specific goal total. Seriously doubt you're gonna hear his name discussed with any real serious teeth on call ups until March. And even that's only likely if he's looking seriously strong down there for an extended period and we are fading out of the playoff picture. If he didn't come in and knock their socks off in camp that's all the more reason they will take their time with him. We need to be careful of over hyping guys without ever actually seeing a real sample size of them play. How many people are actually watching AHL feeds and seeing what players look like during the games? A 45 second Youtube highlight compilation and some good scouting reports makes great internet conversation and professional GM's of all of us, but with our organizational philosophy on development and current reports on his CURRENT play what gives anyone any indication the guy has a chance to be here any time soon? I can't imagine this will be a legitimate thought until spring.

Konecny has 10 points in 30 games. He'll get a deal similar to Yakupov and/or Silvferberg -- $2.5M AAV to $3.75M AAV. And based on his production, I think he's likely to be in the 3-4 Years/ $8M-$10M range. Big deal -- that's a marginal increase of $2M or so.
    if konecny gets anything more than weal (2 years/1.7MM per year), hextall ****ed up. but konecny is still a year away from RFA, so he still has time to earn more.
    Hagg ($2M bridge deal)
    this is the key move this offseason, imo. personally, i wouldn't bother with a bridge deal. i'd give him 6 years/15-18MM. lock him in and he'll be our #4 defensemen for the next half-decade.
    I think Manning is actually the odd man out unless somehow they move Gudas.
    yeah, i don't think manning comes back. maybe the flyers would do him a favor if noone else wants him and sign him to play for the phantoms.
    If we choose to buy out Lehtera, that's a savings of $3.3M, less the cost of his replacement (likely a rookie like Lindblom).
    the only reason for hextall to buy out lehtera is that he plans to spend that money somewhere else. i am skeptical about the likelihood of that happening.
    The cap situation -- for the first time in recent memory -- actually looks pretty damn good. And it'll look even better if we can clear AMac, Lehtera and Neuvirth off it.
    couturier and ghost have 2 of the 5-10 best contracts in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I'm not ready to say he's close. He's been playing the way recently the way you'd hope him to have played all year. Let him carry the play for a few weeks. In mid-January, if he's still playing this way, learning, developing and producing, then it's probably time. But right now, we're just seeing the first real time he's looked like a real AHL threat. Let him prove it's extended.

I'm gonna say 0% chance we see Linblom this year. Martel had a cup of coffee and got sent down. I thought he actually played well. I would have loved to see him on a line with G and Simmer or Couts and Jake. But it's obvious Weise is going to get every chance to play no matter what. I guess the question is what forwards do you want out of the lineup? Assuming they don't resign Filppula, and Weise and Lehtera are scratches next year, there are still only 2 forward spots. I'm assuming Lindblom gets one. You only have 1 for Martel and Vecchione. What about NAK? Haven't heard much about him but his numbers look pretty good. The only change we may see is Lindblom for Filppula. 2 years left for Gudas and MacDonald, when will we see Myers and Morin?

weise with a give away already

man elliot is so bad with the puck

this is definitely a trap game.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    man elliot is so bad with the puck
    What a f'n idiot. Stay in the gd net.

finally! good for you sanheim!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maccanman View Post
    What a f'n idiot. Stay in the gd net.
    almost twice. The past couple games he has been so slow with making a decision that the defenders get caught not knowing what he is going to do

Guess they figured they were gonna win this one by just showing up.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast