Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 342
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    You are absolutely right, Nico is incredible. There is a reason he went first overall and he filled a more immediate role for NJ right now more so than what Patrick could. However, for our needs and what Patrick can be once he gets up to speed.. he will be a better fit here and we will be thankful. Not to mention Nico stepped into being a top player on that team and has been given top minutes in offensive roles since game 1 of the season. Lots of variables at play here and at the end of the day they are both phenomenal talents.
    i dont think patrick is a better fit than nico. Nico is a better fit than patrick on almost any team haha. That being said, we got lucky and got Patrick...no complaints here at all. He will get better once he gets more comfortable.

    on a side not, we are right in the mix again. If only we won the 2 game vs the isles in regulation we would have 33 points and they would have 31. Gotta win those divisional matchups

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,899
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    Patrick will be fine. Have to remember that he's playing his first season in the NHL at the age of 19 after a surgery to his core and has less than 20 games played with a concussion in the middle of those games. He will be fine. We will look back 5 years from now and say "thank you, Devils, for taking Nico."
    No we won't. Nico is just a flat out better player than Patrick. It was easy enough to see hence why I wanted Nico. I'm not even convinced Patrick winds up being the 2nd best player to come from this draft class. No way to justify taking Glass, Heiskanainen, Pettersson, or anyone else over Patrick though.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,136
    pettersson looks like he is going to be a stud. But youre right casper, you gottta take patrick. Hes still going to be what this team desperately needs.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,964
    patrick's rookie season feels a lot like couturier's. both had poor pre-draft seasons due to illness (couturier had mono), fell further than expected on draft day, still played in the NHL at 18 years old, proved that they belong and showed flashes of talent.

    hopefully patrick's offensive breakout will happen before he turns 25.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,651
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    patrick's rookie season feels a lot like couturier's. both had poor pre-draft seasons due to illness (couturier had mono), fell further than expected on draft day, still played in the NHL at 18 years old, proved that they belong and showed flashes of talent.

    hopefully patrick's offensive breakout will happen before he turns 25.
    Yeah -- but at least Couturier's defense was elite when he was a teenager. Hell, he shut down Malkin (a top-5 player in the world) as a rookie. Patrick right now isn't elite in any zone -- let alone all of them.

    Let's just hope Patrick takes a development path like Toews -- not a whole lot in draft season (Toews was in college, TBF), but a 50+ point campaign in Draft +1 and off to the races.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,136
    If you just sub lindblom for weise the lineups look so much better and it could help the other two.
    Lindblom-Patrick-TK. Kid line could do work and they can go against other teams 3rd lines.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,592
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    If you just sub lindblom for weise the lineups look so much better and it could help the other two.
    Lindblom-Patrick-TK. Kid line could do work and they can go against other teams 3rd lines.
    It *looks* a lot better, but Lindblom isn't dominating at the AHL level or carrying play that amazingly. While it'd be more fun, I can't say that I'm confident he'd be any sort of actual upgrade over Weise right now. And I hate saying that considering I can't stand Weise and he's an anchor, but I think you can't call up Lindblom until he shows he's getting the hang of the AHL.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It *looks* a lot better, but Lindblom isn't dominating at the AHL level or carrying play that amazingly. While it'd be more fun, I can't say that I'm confident he'd be any sort of actual upgrade over Weise right now. And I hate saying that considering I can't stand Weise and he's an anchor, but I think you can't call up Lindblom until he shows he's getting the hang of the AHL.
    i know, just saying when he is ready it should help the other two guys out as well. Weise provides nothing on that line. Even having weal there will make it better but the 4th line has had good looks. I would still swap weal and put weise on the 4th line.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It *looks* a lot better, but Lindblom isn't dominating at the AHL level or carrying play that amazingly. While it'd be more fun, I can't say that I'm confident he'd be any sort of actual upgrade over Weise right now. And I hate saying that considering I can't stand Weise and he's an anchor, but I think you can't call up Lindblom until he shows he's getting the hang of the AHL.
    Excluding the start of the season he is about a ppg player. Dominating no, better than Weise, yes

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,592
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Excluding the start of the season he is about a ppg player. Dominating no, better than Weise, yes
    You can't just exclude something because it doesn't fit a narrative. That's an arbitrary endpoint. He's been better as of late...but again, he's not been to the level that he needs to be to be ready for the NHL. He just put together his first week where he scored more than one goal. He's got a ways to go. He's got to show better production before I'm ready to say he's capable of being an actual contributor at this level.

    Being better than Weise is one thing. The question is if he's significantly better than Weise and if his development is going to be helped by bringing him up. I don't expect him to be significantly better than Weise right now, and until he absolutely forces the issue, on a team who's struggling right now to really make a playoff push, he's probably better learning at the AHL level than hoping he suddenly figures out everything against more difficult competition.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,592
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    i know, just saying when he is ready it should help the other two guys out as well. Weise provides nothing on that line. Even having weal there will make it better but the 4th line has had good looks. I would still swap weal and put weise on the 4th line.
    I'm 100% in favor of that. I still think Lindblom needs time in the AHL. But there are far better ways to maximize this roster in the way it's currently constructed.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You can't just exclude something because it doesn't fit a narrative. That's an arbitrary endpoint. He's been better as of late...but again, he's not been to the level that he needs to be to be ready for the NHL. He just put together his first week where he scored more than one goal. He's got a ways to go. He's got to show better production before I'm ready to say he's capable of being an actual contributor at this level.

    Being better than Weise is one thing. The question is if he's significantly better than Weise and if his development is going to be helped by bringing him up. I don't expect him to be significantly better than Weise right now, and until he absolutely forces the issue, on a team who's struggling right now to really make a playoff push, he's probably better learning at the AHL level than hoping he suddenly figures out everything against more difficult competition.
    So take away his first 6 games only then ... 15 points in last 20 games ... not sure how youíre saying that is arbitrary. Adjustment period then production over a 20game period.

    I do think being better than Weise merits being played. Hexy did that to himself.

    Myers has played like 9 games ... he isnít ready at all. Have to stay healthy first.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,495
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    So take away his first 6 games only then ... 15 points in last 20 games ... not sure how youíre saying that is arbitrary. Adjustment period then production over a 20game period.

    I do think being better than Weise merits being played. Hexy did that to himself.

    Myers has played like 9 games ... he isnít ready at all. Have to stay healthy first.
    Being better than a borderline NHLer does not make a player Ready for the NHL.

    Is it not possible that he could grow, more efficiently when playing a lower competition? Isn't it possible bringing him up could stunt that growth? This isn't Austin Matthews or Connor McDavid.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Being better than a borderline NHLer does not make a player Ready for the NHL.

    Is it not possible that he could grow, more efficiently when playing a lower competition? Isn't it possible bringing him up could stunt that growth? This isn't Austin Matthews or Connor McDavid.
    Oh stop. This is the former SHL player of the year. We win 3 games against struggling and injured teams and everyone is trying to push development still. He is also better than Lehtera.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,592
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    So take away his first 6 games only then ... 15 points in last 20 games ... not sure how youíre saying that is arbitrary. Adjustment period then production over a 20game period.

    I do think being better than Weise merits being played. Hexy did that to himself.

    Myers has played like 9 games ... he isnít ready at all. Have to stay healthy first.
    The definition of arbitrary is "random chance or personal whim". Eliminating a piece of his season to fit a narrative, in this case, "bring up Lindblom" is exactly that. It's personal whim because it changes the overall story. Even if you want to have arbitrary end points, 15 points in his last 20 is not the production you'd like to see from a player who you want to claim is ready for NHL action. Oskar Lindblom is not scoring at a high pace to this juncture and likely isn't ready for NHL action. Simply being a smidge better than Dale Weise (which, truly, I'm not sure he'd be that much better considering Nolan Patrick, who's got far more talent than Lindblom, has been a pretty awful CF% player to date) isn't enough to warrant changing his development plane.

    You can't have it both ways. You can't say this is a wasted season and then force a rookie who's not dominating or even playing a really good pace at the AHL to the NHL. If it's a wasted season, let Lindblom learn on his own pace. Especially with a coach who's proven he does not play rookies in spots they belong in.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •