Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pass Rushing and Defense

It seems that JPP is no longer an elite pass rusher and neither is Oliver Vernon. I think JPP has had only 2 good games this year as one and I don't know if Vernon has any sacks or if he does it is diminimus. It looks like paying those 2 the enormous amount of money that was done was a huge mistake.

And while I am at it, Goodson might turn out to be a decent MLB, but can he just stay on the field !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    It seems that JPP is no longer an elite pass rusher and neither is Oliver Vernon. I think JPP has had only 2 good games this year as one and I don't know if Vernon has any sacks or if he does it is diminimus. It looks like paying those 2 the enormous amount of money that was done was a huge mistake.

And while I am at it, Goodson might turn out to be a decent MLB, but can he just stay on the field !!!
    I would give them one more year under a new DC/DL coach to see if there is any improvement. I would do that before attempting to upgrade either of them.

Edit: I take it back. Keep Vernon for another year but get rid of JPP. He got outplayed by Marshall Outhouse. Anyone who gets outplayed by him doesn't deserve to wear an NFL uniform.
    Last edited by eeek78; 12-04-2017 at 10:26 AM.

I don't think they are trying tbh, not acceptable but I think Jpp would be doing a lot better if they were 10-2 instead of 2-10. I don't know. I think Vernon injuries have killed him
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Vernon is still killing it, just set back with injuries.

JPP is still a baller and I assume they just need the next generation DE behind him which thye've been trying to secure since Damontre. Avery Moss looks promising.

This year's defensive issues stemmed from 3 things in my opinion:

1 - No offensive line. The offense has been unable to protect Eli for a sustained pass attack, can't run the ball, can't convert on 3rd and short, etc. Short offensive possessions lead to an exhausted D.

2 - Injuries per usual. All the veterans have been banged up at some point, which I guess still agrees to the OP's point that they need to get younger all around and it may mean some rebuilding on D.

3 - Coverage failures. When QBs know they can target Apple as a starting outside corner, it gives them a quick or go-to throw every time. Or when our CBs are injured and they can attack back-ups. It also doesn't help that we haven't been able to cover the seam (weak LB coverage) and middle of the field in about 10 years now.