Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I thought the same thing. Many times a GM/franchise goes "all in" to get a ring or two and then pays long term for it. 20 years is a long time, but I would put that on the GMs during those years, not on Gillick (at least in any big way).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree.... itís ok ( not ideal), to go all in when youíre right there. Itís not okay when you jump like we did with Tex! He went all in and hit two rings! 3 or 4 barren years because he went all in, to rebuild the farm, I can see that. Blaming 20 years on him? Nope! Thatís on the other GMís!

As far as AA..... He will have the cash in FA, if he wants to make a big move. With Trout being off limits and Harper and Machado with only one year on their respective deals, I donít see a player to mortgage our beautiful farm on! I hope AA sees it the same way. As stated before, I know we will eventually trade some of our prospect pitching. Just hope he trades the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Thats what he wanted in Toronto I think. Miss him so much, best Jays GM of all time.
    He won how many rings?

He's very overrated gm. He'll excite you with stocking the farm to only deplete it with huge, old contract players. He'll also make some of the weird/worst roster decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    No. Firing Coppy signaled that. ATL could have hired any number of people for the GM job. They chose to hire a guy who has a history of big trades, drafting well, and be willing to move prospects. I think that signals the desire of the brass in ATL to contend.

But you know this. You are busy baiting...

sorry for giving that impression. not the case at all. he's the best candidate out there, i don't think it signals anything more than that. if i was a braves fan i would be pleased with this move.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 11-16-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    sorry for giving that impression. not the case at all. he's the best candidate out there, i don't think it signals anything more than that. if i was a braves fan i would be pleased with this move.
    My point is that GMs have different methods. AA had a clear method and it includes being willing to deal too prospects. Currently ATL had not been doing much of that. You deal top prospects to get proven talent, which is usually what club's trying to "win now" do. That would be a shift in ATL's mentality from the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    He won how many rings?

He's very overrated gm. He'll excite you with stocking the farm to only deplete it with huge, old contract players. He'll also make some of the weird/worst roster decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Truth is funny

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Truth is funny
    i don't get why he's laughing. all GM's have strengths and weaknesses, and aside from the "overrated" comment there is nothing false in what you said. it will be interesting to see what happens in Atlanta because i am one who believes that the moves made in 2015 were made with the knowledge that he wasn't going to be returning. it will be interesting to see if the reputation he earned for his work at that deadline proves to be legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Read some quotes from AA. One that stood out to me was when he was talked about Max Fried and young arms:

ďIn Toronto we went after guys like that in the draft, we just felt that it was the currency to use, especially in the AL East in that ballpark, thought we were going to have to develop our own (pitching) and also from a philosophical standpoint, arms donít get blocked. That was by design in the draft, we were going to draft the arms and trade for the bats.Ē
    http://www.myajc.com/sports/baseball...TNZSCumvxjzNM/

Draft arms and trade for bats. That really stands out to me.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Read some quotes from AA. One that stood out to me was when he was talked about Max Fried and young arms:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/baseball...TNZSCumvxjzNM/

Draft arms and trade for bats. That really stands out to me.
    Sounds like the ATL philosophy.

I've been screaming about that for years now.... we have so many arms that we should never bring up any position player we have in trade talks.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but idk about this one.�� The guy that doesnít win is better than the guy that won 2? Idk man, seems like you just donít like the guy that won 2.
    Oh I wish I was able to get back to this thread sooner - work happens. I didn't know my post would have been misinterpreted as such. Gillick was a great GM. He built winners in Baltimore, Philly, Seattle, and of course Toronto. That alone speaks volumes. After he goes all in by trading his draft picks it seems that he moves on to the next team.

I don't think I've made a comparison between AA and Gillick in my post on whom I liked better, in fact if you were to ask me I wouldn't know the answer as both seemed very "forward thinking", which I like. Gillick was very active in scouting Latin America (which I don't think was as popular as it is now), AA was active with manipulating the draft until the new draft rules became effective. Neither GM shied away from making big and exciting trades either. Both trade prospects for impact players.

I would have liked to see what AA would have done with the Jays. Regardless I think he'll do very well in making the Braves a very good team in a few years.
    Last edited by FLeays; 11-29-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123