Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario
    Posts
    28,561
    Lol.... its a forum. We all loved Doc, and we're all sad Doc is gone. He was one of the purest and greatest human beings to play sports. Not just baseball. Its tough to find someone as kind as him, especially with how athletes are now. Of course everyone was devastated to hear about his loss.

    But MikePelfrey and Raps, I don't think you're right here. It's not like the OP was being a dick. He asked a fair question. You're making it way too personal. We're all shook and I'm sure we all shed a couple of tears when we saw his wife speaking. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we are indeed NOT his family.

    You want a probation period to ask something like this? I think people respect if you don't want to participate in the topic, or you PERSONALLY are affected to a point where it would make you upset to participate in this thread. That's your POV. We're not Roys family. We loved Roy. But this is a fair topic to talk about. Kind of ridiculous to blame others for that.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54,972
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Lol.... its a forum. We all loved Doc, and we're all sad Doc is gone. He was one of the purest and greatest human beings to play sports. Not just baseball. Its tough to find someone as kind as him, especially with how athletes are now. Of course everyone was devastated to hear about his loss.

    But MikePelfrey and Raps, I don't think you're right here. It's not like the OP was being a dick. He asked a fair question. You're making it way too personal. We're all shook and I'm sure we all shed a couple of tears when we saw his wife speaking. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we are indeed NOT his family.

    You want a probation period to ask something like this? I think people respect if you don't want to participate in the topic, or you PERSONALLY are affected to a point where it would make you upset to participate in this thread. That's your POV. We're not Roys family. We loved Roy. But this is a fair topic to talk about. Kind of ridiculous to blame others for that.
    I didn't say I was right. I mistook what he said and clarified it afterwards for those people facepalm-ing.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Abbotsford B.C.
    Posts
    1,046
    I think people are over reacting nobody is intentionally being disrespectful. If you feel otherwise about this thread then refrain from commenting.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    I thought it was inappropriately worded and the discussion itself of deciding between which blue jay logo seems out of place given the circumstances.
    Exactly, celebrate his life and give his family time to grieve. Its not up to the jays or their fans what logo he wears anyway. when the time comes you want his wife and children to be included, But you do it on their terms, when they are ready....I remember how the yankees did it with Diane Munson. Since it was in season, They had all gone to the funeral, then afterward they stood at attention against Baltimore with no catcher on the field in silent tribute... Mrs Munson wasn't there. Wasn't asked to be, because the timing was wrong.

    Later after a respectable period they had his number retired with Munsons family in attendance, when they indicated they were ready. She has said in many interviews since how grateful she was how the Yankees Players and organization handled it. And has since appeared at Old Timers Day regularly because she appreciate how things were done.

    The discussion had no urgency. Anyone who watched the ceremony could see how grief stricken Brandy Halliday was and she agreed to be part of that. We may be fans but what's the rush. don't we as his fans need to show proper respect to the man and his family?

    I think we do. And I applaud you TO Raps for having the decency to understand that. Yes we are fans. But we are human beings first and in this circumstance it was improper.

    The Roy R.I.P. Thread was fine, that was our thread to honor him and I think Brandy H. would read that and cry but smile too. But not this one. This is ill-timed and kind of mercenary in nature.....

    The 2 threads were not the same one was respectful. The other wasn't made to be respectful, at a time like that who cares about a logo on a hat.? The only one who might is a guy looking to get rich selling hats. Because regardless it will be a Blue Jays hat.. So the only reason to care which particular jays logo is mercenary.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 11-17-2017 at 12:04 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    I think people are over reacting nobody is intentionally being disrespectful. If you feel otherwise about this thread then refrain from commenting.
    I disagree. Remember there was already a thread up on the board "ROY R.I.P. That was a respectable tribute thread.

    That question was definitely disrespectful and ill-timed. The PROOF is that nobody even bothered to answer his question. Why, Because we all know nothing we say here will have any effect on the logo chosen... And we are commenting because it was intentionally being disrespectful. Very much so.

    You may not see it as such but some of us did. Life and Death are serious matters. Logos in the HOF are trivial. By its very nature the question was disrespectful.

    Would you have gone up and asked Brandy Halladay that question on monday? You know damned well you wouldn't have, why? Because it's insensitive and disrespectful. That's why.

    And TO rapz that's why you're wrong too. You would never have gone up to her AT THAT TIME TO ASK THAT QUESTION.

    And you know it.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 11-17-2017 at 12:43 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,089
    Anybody who doesn't get why this is disrespectful should watch the movie The Amercan President with Michael Douglas, listen to his speech near the end where he speaks at Richard Dreyfus about knowing the time and place. If you don't get it then you never will.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    8,444
    Well I guess if discussing (on a discussion board) what hat a player wears posthumously into the HOF makes me a cold hearted bastard, so be it.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Well I guess if discussing (on a discussion board) what hat a player wears posthumously into the HOF makes me a cold hearted bastard, so be it.
    That's disingenuous. That isn't a discussion. Nothing a fan says about that has any bearing whatsoever on what the hall will decide.... not even the player has any say any longer. So trying to use that as an excuse doesn't hold water. It's been that way since Winfield was elected.

    It wasn't the question so much as it was the timing of the question. At least let the family bury him first.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 11-17-2017 at 06:20 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Well I guess if discussing (on a discussion board) what hat a player wears posthumously into the HOF makes me a cold hearted bastard, so be it.
    Take it with a grain Kenny. Nobody gets to tell you how you get to deal with death.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,321
    Discussing what hat a player is going to wear is simply another way of discussing his greatness. There’s been zero disrespect other then people trying to dig for some ridiculous reason to get outraged. This is a discussion between us PSDers not his family or not trying to make a decision for the hall it was a simple discussion just like asking will Halladay be a HOF?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    I thought it was inappropriately worded and the discussion itself of deciding between which blue jay logo seems out of place given the circumstances.
    Given the circumstances, a Jays fan asking which logo he'll be immortalized with seems perfectly reasonable. He did, after all, play in 4 different logos at different points in his career.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54,972
    Quote Originally Posted by RR Cool Jay View Post
    Given the circumstances, a Jays fan asking which logo he'll be immortalized with seems perfectly reasonable. He did, after all, play in 4 different logos at different points in his career.
    Yea but see half the people in the thread had no clue what you were talking about at the time. When I read the title, I actually thought it was a joke. Half the people (myself included) thought you are discussing either Jays or Phillies. In my head at the time (misunderstanding your question), I thought it was extremely dumb to ask given that everyone's answer should have been the Blue Jays and to top it off, it was worded a little inappropriately.

    I now know what the question is and while I still think it's a little inappropriate (of all things about Doc, this is the discussion we are having?), I obviously wouldn't have responded the way I did if I knew the question from the get-go.

    To answer your question, it'll be the Blue Jays logo he retired in.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    Exactly, celebrate his life and give his family time to grieve. Its not up to the jays or their fans what logo he wears anyway. when the time comes you want his wife and children to be included, But you do it on their terms, when they are ready....I remember how the yankees did it with Diane Munson. Since it was in season, They had all gone to the funeral, then afterward they stood at attention against Baltimore with no catcher on the field in silent tribute... Mrs Munson wasn't there. Wasn't asked to be, because the timing was wrong.

    Later after a respectable period they had his number retired with Munsons family in attendance, when they indicated they were ready. She has said in many interviews since how grateful she was how the Yankees Players and organization handled it. And has since appeared at Old Timers Day regularly because she appreciate how things were done.

    The discussion had no urgency. Anyone who watched the ceremony could see how grief stricken Brandy Halliday was and she agreed to be part of that. We may be fans but what's the rush. don't we as his fans need to show proper respect to the man and his family?

    I think we do. And I applaud you TO Raps for having the decency to understand that. Yes we are fans. But we are human beings first and in this circumstance it was improper.

    The Roy R.I.P. Thread was fine, that was our thread to honor him and I think Brandy H. would read that and cry but smile too. But not this one. This is ill-timed and kind of mercenary in nature.....

    The 2 threads were not the same one was respectful. The other wasn't made to be respectful, at a time like that who cares about a logo on a hat.? The only one who might is a guy looking to get rich selling hats. Because regardless it will be a Blue Jays hat.. So the only reason to care which particular jays logo is mercenary.
    Why do you keep bringing up his family? It's not up to the Jays or their fans or the MLB or the player or the player's family. The Hall of Fame decides which logo the player will be immortalized in. The player may express a desire to represent a particular team, but the decision is up to the hall. This thread is essentially about--Which Jays logo will the HOF pick for him? Its about a potential inductee and the HOF, not his family. His family may be (and probably will be) present when the induction happens, but that's respectfully their choice. If Halladay gets voted in by the baseball writers association, then he's getting enshrined regardless of who's ready or not ready or who agrees with it or doesn't. Not trying to be callous, just stating a fact.

    This thread was created a week after the plane crash. A "respectable period of time" is subjective to each individual. What I don't get is why topics like this can be talked about on the radio, television, newspaper but we shouldn't be talking about it on a Toronto Blue Jays forum as fans for fear of disrespecting his family. Even though they have little to no control over topics like this. --That doesn't make sense to me.

    To call this ill-timed and mercenary --nonsense.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    I disagree. Remember there was already a thread up on the board "ROY R.I.P. That was a respectable tribute thread.

    That question was definitely disrespectful and ill-timed. The PROOF is that nobody even bothered to answer his question. Why, Because we all know nothing we say here will have any effect on the logo chosen... And we are commenting because it was intentionally being disrespectful. Very much so.
    I responded to the question on the first page and so did others. I thought it was an interesting question. Made me reflect back on his career in Toronto. If you're not ready to contribute to this thread, then don't.
    Last edited by RR Cool Jay; 11-18-2017 at 12:33 AM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    8,444
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Take it with a grain Kenny. Nobody gets to tell you how you get to deal with death.
    Yeah I get that. I'm shocked that people would be offended over something so trivial

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •