Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    It's not all about how much you spend!
    The Mets made the 2015 World Series...
    And our biggest signing was Michael Cuddyer.

That being said, I wish they would spend more.
    Dug said the same thing, essentially, but its bereft of context. The Astros also didn't have a huge payroll. There is two major differences, however. 1) The Astros have ridiculously great homegrown talent. 2) When it comes time to pay their players or add players in FA, the Astros can flex that muscle as Houston isn't a small market.

The Mets have neither of those things at the moment.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-09-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Mets Offseason "To Do" List

1 Bullpen

2 Starting Pitcher

3 2nd Base/3rd Base

4 1st Base Platoon

5 4th-5th Outfielder/3rd String Catcher
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Why? Bruce has a similar career resume to Jason Bay and he got 66 million bucks from the Mets. Not to mention $/WAR has gone up significantly since then. I don't think that's an unreasonable deal. Guys don't make 12 or 13 million a season anymore in FA. Most of the more talented guys are paid at least the QO money annually over a multi year deal.
    Supply and demand.
    Power hitters are a dime-a-dozen, therefore he isnít get that much.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Dug said the same thing, essentially, but its bereft of context. The Astros also didn't have a huge payroll. There is two major differences, however. 1) The Astros have ridiculously great homegrown talent. 2) When it comes time to pay their players or add players in FA, the Astros can flex that muscle as Houston isn't a small market.

The Mets have neither of those things at the moment.
    That can't be right. Didn't Dug say he was a champion of logic? This...this doesn't make any sense. NOTHING makes sense anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    That can't be right. Didn't Dug say he was a champion of logic? This...this doesn't make any sense. NOTHING makes sense anymore!
    Dug is the Spock of PSD. #Logic
    World Championships

Miracle Mets

Super Bowl III

Dr. J (ABA)

Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Supply and demand.
    Power hitters are a dime-a-dozen, therefore he isnít get that much.
    The FA market is kind of weak for position players this offseason. I understand there is less emphasis on power because of all the home runs hit but I still think Bruce can get a 4 year deal. He's only 30 years old.

The FA market is kind of weak for position players this offseason. I understand there is less emphasis on power because of all the home runs hit but I still think Bruce can get a 4 year deal. He's only 30 years old.
    Only time will tell. It is kinda of silly to speculate

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Astros and Indians started the 2017 season with a payroll of $30 m less than the Mets.
    And it took them many years of building that farm system up with high draft picks and trading vets for young pieces. Our farm system is bad. We don't have any great young names ready to come up and don't even think we have any big names even close to coming up.

2017-2018 Free Agency Thread

The Astros also added a lot of veteran guys last off season, they do not go at it with the same team and hope for a better result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The New York Mets might be open to a reunion with free agent Jay Bruce if he would be open to playing both the outfield and first base.

Rumor CentralAccording to Mike Puma of the New York Post, the Mets have a hole to fill in the outfield and are not completely committed to Dominic Smith at first base, so the front office is ďon the lookoutĒ for someone who can play both positions.

One possibility could be the 30-year-old Bruce, who was traded from the Mets to the Cleveland Indians in August. Acquired by the Mets the previous summer, Bruce hit 37 homers and drove in 94 runs in 153 games for New York., spanning two seasons.

A key question would be whether Bruce, who has limited experience at first base, would be open to being used at both positions.

Another issue could be finances. General manager Sandy Alderson has hinted the Mets will not break the bank in free agency, and ESPNís Jerry Crasnick reports Bruce will be looking for a five-year deal in the $80-90 million range.

Puma lists Logan Morrison and Adam Lind as other possible fits for the Mets.
    -- mlbtr

File it under speculation

The Greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    And **** load more young star talent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not the point. Someone said the Mets dont care about spending the money to build a contender. If contenders were built with $30m less money, then they do care to spend what a contender can cost. Mets could easily swap older talent for younger talent, reduce payroll to Astros and Indians level, and build a contender.

The Greatest.

My original thought was we needed to add a 3b, OF, back end bullpen, n mid rotation starter but since our owners are cheap ****s it seams that is not going to happen. If I had to choose between 3B n OF I have to go of since conforto may miss the beginning of the season. I think Cain is the guy. 16 million a year should be a no brainer for us. That's what we were paying grandy. He can play RF with lagares n cf against lefties n cf with nimmo in cf against righties. Once conforto returns he plays cf full time. Cain gives a try lead off option with speed n solid defense. Think it makes the most sense with our budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Not the point. Someone said the Mets dont care about spending the money to build a contender. If contenders were built with $30m less money, then they do care to spend what a contender can cost. Mets could easily swap older talent for younger talent, reduce payroll to Astros and Indians level, and build a contender.
    Oh man, way to talk in circles. That last sentence isn't even remotely true. Sure, rebuild from the ground up and hope to contend in 2025, maybe.

If the Mets were interested in contending, they wouldn't pretend like 30 million dollars this offseason (if that's the number) is going to have a significant impact. Not to mention the article you quoted is the same **** every year with the Mets in regards to "not breaking the bank". They might as well put it in the radio advertisements to come to the game. Come to Citi Field this weekend where "we don't break the bank". All this mind you while the Mets plan on increasing ticket prices next year.

Again bringing up the Astros and Indians is pointless. Those teams have a significantly better talent base and add players as they need them. The Mets neither have that base, nor have the financial circumstances to win while it develops.

Quote Originally Posted by cburnsy247 View Post
    My original thought was we needed to add a 3b, OF, back end bullpen, n mid rotation starter but since our owners are cheap ****s it seams that is not going to happen. If I had to choose between 3B n OF I have to go of since conforto may miss the beginning of the season. I think Cain is the guy. 16 million a year should be a no brainer for us. That's what we were paying grandy. He can play RF with lagares n cf against lefties n cf with nimmo in cf against righties. Once conforto returns he plays cf full time. Cain gives a try lead off option with speed n solid defense. Think it makes the most sense with our budget.
    This team has 2 capable Center Fielders in Juan Lagares and Brandon Nimmo. 3 when Conforto comes back. With just 30M to spend, I wouldn't want to waste half of it on an Outfielder. Especially Lorenzo Cain at $16M. This team needs to spread the salary around. Pitching is the most important need. Bullpen and Starting Rotation.
    World Championships

Miracle Mets

Super Bowl III

Dr. J (ABA)

Potvin's Cups

Oh man, way to talk in circles. That last sentence isn't even remotely true. Sure, rebuild from the ground up and hope to contend in 2025, maybe.
    I talk in straight lines. If you can't follow, then I guess it feels like a circle. I get it.

They could contend in a +/- 2 years if they made the right deals. Rebuilding is not impossible -- as you even pointed out yourself.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-10-2017 at 04:45 PM.

The Greatest.

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast